Your Ad Could Be Here

Did you find some free software that helps in the studio? Share it with the songstuff community here.

NO HACKS OR CRACKS PLEASE, JUST LEGITIMATE FREEBIES PLEASE!!

[Edit: oops, looks like i was beaten to the reply..... oh well,. ill leave the links :) ]

[Edit: Moved to be with the other link posts :) John]

well Im not sure what specifically youre looking for, but heres a couple sites you may find usefull.

search engines are really a great thing.. just type in freeware and youll get the following sites...

if youre looking for specifics just type in what ur lookin for and add freeware to it, or such..

the first two sites ive looked at, found some little programs in the past, nothing big, but some pretty usefull aplications... definatly worth takin a look.. as for the others. i cant vouch either way for them, but no harm in checking them out...

hope this helps! :)

freewarefiles.com

softpedia.com

freeware-downloads.com

sofotex.com

snapfiles.com

fwnetwork.com

freewarepro.com

freewarebox.com

freedownloadscenter.com

Edited by john

Did you find some free software that helps in the studio? Share it with the songstuff community here.

NO HACKS OR CRACKS PLEASE, JUST LEGITIMATE FREEBIES PLEASE!!

This is the one I was thinking of... It's called Kristal Audio Engine. It is a sixteen track virtual studio, quite similar in concept to Cubase or Logic... I figured it could be useful to artists like Donna who could use some extra tracks instead of having to do lots of bouncing... It is fully ASIO and VST compatible, so a lot of industry standard plugins are going to work with it, and it ships with a few plugins of it's own... I've been trying it out just for the sake of curiosity and have had a lot of fun with it... It has a cool parametric EQ on each channel strip...

The link is http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/KRISTAL/

The application is freeware for non commercial or education uses, and here is a screenshot...

kristal.JPG

Looks like a winner

Now, I also noticed that voxengo are doing a lot of excellent free plugins at http://www.voxengo.com

and also get these http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php while they are still going... Don't be fooled by the fact they're free, plugins like these usually cost plenty...

Excellent finds fellas...

Hey people.

I do all of my recording via my Roland stand alone. I also burn the CD with this unit. I then take the CD and load it into my computer for conversion to MP3.

My question to you is:

Will any of these software programs you are talking about allow me to manipulate the mp3 stereo file in such a way as to tweek the EQing, overall volumn, etc.?

A lot of times I wish to make minor enhancements to songs that weren't quite right out of my recorder.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Tom

Guest voclizr

Tommy;

I understand exactly what you're trying to ask. I do my recording/editing the same way. You might find a free program called Audacity helpful. You can manipulate the MP3, normalize, amplify, bass boost, EQ, change the pitch, speed amd even key! The only weird thing is, when you're finished you must convert to WAV (unless you download a program called Lame to convert to MP3. I just run the WAV through Musicmatch again to make it an MP3. You'll find it on the link I'm sending. Second one down. I hope this helps you. :)

John B.

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/gmm/fwaudioedit.html

I concur John, Audacity does make an excellent addition to any sound engineers toolbox...

Hey John!

Playing with Audacity this morning. Cool program. I just wish I could make "on the fly" changes, but seeing as it's free, who am I to complain!

Thanks a bunch!

Tom

Guest voclizr

No problem Tom;

I'm trying to find some info on the OGG VORBIS format.You might have heard of it. It's an alternative to MP3 and WAV. Computer geeks swear by it and say it is superior to any other sound format, but it's not real user friendly. There are plenty of places on the net to download it for free, but not much info on putting it to purposeful use. You need a separate encoder & decoder. I don't know about you, but I've been finding that WAVs are noticeibly better than MP3s. People say that the human ear cannot deciper the 90% drop in frequencies, but I'm finding that "out of psychoacoustic range" stuff alot of bull. I can hear a difference, at least in MY stuff! I hear a big difference in high end sounds, like closed hat sounds, even using 320 kbps on MP3, the WAV sounds superior, BY FAR. My only gripe with WAVs is that you cannot apply an ID tag to them, and I like to put the info on my stuff. When I burn CDs of my tunes for friends, I always burn WAVs. If you (or anybody else on SS) know any info about how to use OGG, (or happen to come across some) I'd appreciate if you'd pass it on to me! :) Thanks!

John B.

Now, I also noticed that voxengo are doing a lot of excellent free plugins at http://www.voxengo.com

and also get these http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php while they are still going... Don't be fooled by the fact they're free, plugins like these usually cost plenty...

Had a play with Kristal Audio Engine and some of the plugins you mentioned and they are an excellent addition to what I have.

Thanks for that

Had a play with Kristal Audio Engine and some of the plugins you mentioned and they are an excellent addition to what I have.

Thanks for that

It's a pretty cool program... It was the automation that impressed me in it...

Prometheus, can one hear the changes in eq, etc; AS they make them, with Kristal?

The effects work in real time from what I've seen so far so you can hear things as you do them

Prometheus, can one hear the changes in eq, etc; AS they make them, with Kristal?

Yes, absolutely...

Prometheus, just downloaded Kristal! woo hoo

Looking at the second link of plug ins...of course the compressor appeals to me, but also the Phaser and Master Limiter. Like the 7 band eq as well. Going by intuition and the bits I've read here (far from having digested yet).

Whaddaya think'd be a good plug in set up? And how does one make these plug ins work?

Prometheus, just downloaded Kristal! woo hoo

Looking at the second link of plug ins...of course the compressor appeals to me, but also the Phaser and Master Limiter. Like the 7 band eq as well. Going by intuition and the bits I've read here (far from having digested yet).

Whaddaya think'd be a good plug in set up? And how does one make these plug ins work?

I'd say the best bet is to download as many VST plugins as you can lay your hands on, and see which ones you feel comfortable with. These programs are made to be low on resource usage, so they tend to be very managable...

Well, at the top of each channel strip in the Kristal mixer, which you bring up by pressing F3, you'll see two boxes marked "No FX". If you click on these boxes, your list of plugins should appear and you select the one you want with a left click of the mouse. Clicking the box with the letter e in it above where you select your plugin should bring up the plugin editor and let you edit the settings of the plugin... I'm working on a tome about compression at the moment, I'll post a link to it shortly when it's finished... That'll be within the next 48 hours...

I'd bet there'll be some useful Songstuff Articles about all the commonly used effects too...

Edited by Prometheus