Your Ad Could Be Here

Hello Fellow Songsters!

My name is Terry. I'm a songwriter who calls himself SolidTerry, not because I think I'm sooooo Solid, but as a play on the word 'solitary' since at the present time I do all of my music by myself. I would eventually like to collaborate with others. Who knows? Maybe I can find a simpatico collaborator or two here at songstuff.com

My music is more or less pop music with a 60's/70's sensibility that is influenced by rock, soul, funk, reggae and other genres.

I'm kind of in a state of flux right now because I've been recording using mostly real instruments (except for an electronic drum set) using Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 2 on my old Compaq Presario desktop computer and I'm not satisfied with the sound that I'm getting on my demos. I think my songs are good, but my demos just don't sound "radio ready". This is partly because of the gear I use and partly because I probably don't have enough knowledge to use that gear properly to get the most out of it.

So I'm considering making the leap into the area of things like loops, samples, soft-synths, plug-ins, etc. in the hope of getting a more contemporary sound. I'm also considering investing in a laptop computer so that I can be able to take my music to other people for collaboration purposes (for example, with a laptop I could travel to a vocalist and have them sing on my tracks since my tiny apartment isn't very good for recording) instead of trying to do everything myself all the time.

Anyway, I'm just throwing all of this out there in case anybody has any advice they want to share with me. In the meantime, you can check out my music at solidterry.com and hear what I'm talking about in terms of the production quality (or lack thereof).

I'm looking forward to hearing some of your music as well, so I'll jump right in and start listening to some random selections.

Peace and blessings,

Terry

solidterry.com

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Terry. Welcome to songstuff. I've made your website link clickable and I'm gonna go have a look. Where you based? UK?

Thanks, Steve. I'm based in the New York area. I'm originally from Northern California (Sacramento), but I moved to NYC 20 years ago and just last year moved right across the Hudson River to New Jersey. I now live in a small town in New Jersey called West New York.

Terry

solidterry.com

Hi Terry,

I guessed from your grammar you were likely from the USA.

Youre doing better than me. I havnt got any music up at all.

Welcome from Portsmouth UK

Hey Terry

Welcome aboard! :)

Hi Terry,

Thanks all! :) Pleasant vibe here -- glad to be here. :thumb23:

Guest voclizr

Hi Terry, and Welcome! :)

I checked out your site. ROFL on the home page. "Didn't ask to be born, I was framed! Love it!

Your songs are different and refreshing with alot of potential.

You also have a decent singing voice IMHO.

As far as the demos: Don't kick yourself too hard there either. For a guy that doesen't have much experience, as you say, they sound pretty good to me (better than mine)! :D

There are alot of people here who can help you improve on that too, for sure!

You've come to the right place!

Enjoy!

:) John B.

Hey Terry,

Welcome to Songstuff from Cave Creek Arizona (formerly from the hackensack/bogota area)

John Nightwolf

I also enjoyed your website intro. Funny too, I looked at your nick b4 I clicked and thought "My they are awful full of them selves", then laughed when I said it out loud and figgered it out.

Welcome, Terry. Greetings from Old York, the ...ahem....original :D

This is a good place!

I had a look at your web site....very cool!

LOL.... Old York.... love it! [smiley=rockin.gif]

Hi Terry,

Blimey, mate! I guess me accent was a spot on giveaway then. ;) j/k

Well, Welcome to Songstuff, Terry [smiley=imu2.gif]!!!

*~peace and love~*

*~Amanda Hope~*

Hi Amanda,

Nice to be here. Wow, what a cool banner/signature you've got there. Some very poetic stuff you've quoted. I hope I get a chance to hear some of your music before too long.

Take care! :D

Hey Terry,

Welcome to Songstuff from Cave Creek Arizona (formerly from the hackensack/bogota area).

I also enjoyed your website intro. Funny too, I looked at your nick b4 I clicked and thought "My they are awful full of them selves", then laughed when I said it out loud and figgered it out.

John Nightwolf

Hey John,

Tanks a lot, pal -- dat's Joisey speak. ;)

Sewiously... er, I mean, seriously, I haven't ventured as far as Hackensack yet. The only thing I know about the place is Thelonius Monk named a cool song after it, so it can't be all bad. I just looked at a map of the area and I see that there is indeed a Bogota there. The only parts of New Jersey I've really seen so far are the parts right across the river from Manhattan.

You know, I'm thinking about losing the name SolidTerry for the very reason you mentioned. I think that it's rubbing some people the wrong way sometimes because they don't get what I mean by SolidTerry (solitary). I'm glad you got it though. Also, the name will eventually become obsolete when I start working with other people, so I figure it would be best to change my name now to avoid confusion later. I'm trying to come up with a new name that I'll want to stick with. Nightwolf is a cool name, by the way. I wish I had thought of that.

Also, I had a listen to one of your songs last night called "Over and Over". I liked it, but I didn't get a chance to review it yet because I was nodding out after spending a couple of hours on the site after work and it was time for me to go to bed (I work nights). I'll try to write a review tonight when I get off work. I'm at work now.

Take care, dude! :D

Hey Terry

Why not just drop the "d"?

10 points for john, good idea [smiley=bounce.gif][smiley=bounce.gif][smiley=bounce.gif][smiley=bounce.gif][smiley=bounce.gif][smiley=bounce.gif][smiley=bounce.gif][smiley=bounce.gif][smiley=bounce.gif][smiley=bounce.gif]

Hey Terry

Why not just drop the "d"?

Man, that is a great idea! :yahoo:

The only thing is, like I said earlier, I hope to eventually not be so solitary -- and then the name would be kind of obsolete. And if I'm going to change it it's better to do it sooner rather than later. But you've really got me considering keeping the name now. ??? Maybe I should change it to something like arbiterry (arbitrary).... lol j/k

Seriously great suggestion though, John. Thanks!

Terry

Archived