Your Ad Could Be Here

Getting Record Label Attention

Hey

I thought it might be interesting to discuss how you go about getting record label attention.

Feel free to make sensible or silly suggestions, the only condition is that their merits and drawbacks should be mention when you make a suggestion as it will aid any discussion! :)

So, what are your do's and don'ts?

Cheers

John

• 1 month later...

I think if I were a young man again, I would do things a little differently. And the first thing I would do, is get a good P.R. man.It's all very well doing the gigs, cutting the discs etc. But you need somebody in the know to get the word out! Record labels listen to the top PR men.

Getting a good PR man is almost harder than getting a good record deal. After all - they work for the record companies mostly. And they cost!

Hey

Very true Finn. Maybe "get people who are into PR" would help. That and go everywhere with beautiful women on your arm :) or lap. :D or... nevermind

Cheers

John

Every time I send them an introductory email now, I ask them to be honest and tell me whether they plan to give my press pack 30 seconds of attention so I can refrain from the waste of time and money posting it...

I'm new to the forum and to music promotion.

My personal opinion is to get attention by remote .... not directly contact A&R people,

but attending expos, workshops, competitions or contents where those people are.

If your music that good it drags attention of people not involved into music industry,

I bet record company people would be dragged to, maybe.

If they're not forced to listen your music by sending them your tape or CD and they

can listen it as part of leisure, I think they can be more accessible and open to music

they listen.

Actually I'd like to say 'Don't beg for listening!' :)

Sorry for such constructions, english is not my native language.

Maybe I'm dreamer ....

Being a Dreamer is awesome Stan, but waiting for them to notice you is probably a waste of time.

Virtua mentions a good point, when I was in Two and a Half WeeKs we had a motto: Act like a Rockstar!! In other words, play the part you wish to become.

People hated the attitudes, but everyone knew when we walked into the room.

Being a Dreamer is awesome Stan, but waiting for them to notice you is probably a waste of time.

Virtua mentions a good point, when I was in Two and a Half WeeKs we had a motto: Act like a Rockstar!! In other words, play the part you wish to become.

People hated the attitudes, but everyone knew when we walked into the room.

You're probably right .... then there is plan B, .... I'm gonna kick your butt! ... approach :)

I've seen lots of bands waste time waiting for labels to find them. I think you are doing the right thing in trying to meet them to make contact, but I would recommend a couple of things:

Get with the schmooz crowd. Great getting contacts at expos, but you need to get invited to industry events, launches and parties. that's where a lot of initial business is done. Best way to get invites is to become part of their social crowd. that means getting to know them, most likely through the gigs of other bands. so target the top bands in the area and get to know them and their managers. that way, you are hanging out with them when the label guys arrive and, importantly, they will introduce you to each other. this is perhaps the most valuable part in the whole process.

another good way to get to know the top bands in your area is find out where the big bands rehearse, and when. then start booking yourself in at those times. you'd be amazed how many label employees and top musicians/artists will turn up at the best rehearsal studio in the area. same deal with the best recording studios.

once you are in the schmooz crowd you will naturally be invited to new parties, launches and other events. you get guest list tickets too. :) you will be amazed at just how many opportunities will be opened up to you, and possibly more valuable, insider industry information such as terms of recent deals, who is looking for what etc.

So, go to gigs, pick the top rehearsal studio, and top recording studio. remember, the people who run the last two also have contacts and if you get to know them, not only will you get first consideration for top rehearsal spots, special rates, favors etc, but you'll get introduced to other bands and a&r men occasionally and get yet again some insider info.

good luck ;)

i may copy most of this into my blog. :)

Good points.

I've seen lots of bands waste time waiting for labels to find them. I think you are doing the right thing in trying to meet them to make contact, but I would recommend a couple of things:

Get with the schmooz crowd. Great getting contacts at expos, but you need to get invited to industry events, launches and parties. that's where a lot of initial business is done. Best way to get invites is to become part of their social crowd. that means getting to know them, most likely through the gigs of other bands. so target the top bands in the area and get to know them and their managers. that way, you are hanging out with them when the label guys arrive and, importantly, they will introduce you to each other. this is perhaps the most valuable part in the whole process.

another good way to get to know the top bands in your area is find out where the big bands rehearse, and when. then start booking yourself in at those times. you'd be amazed how many label employees and top musicians/artists will turn up at the best rehearsal studio in the area. same deal with the best recording studios.

once you are in the schmooz crowd you will naturally be invited to new parties, launches and other events. you get guest list tickets too. :) you will be amazed at just how many opportunities will be opened up to you, and possibly more valuable, insider industry information such as terms of recent deals, who is looking for what etc.

So, go to gigs, pick the top rehearsal studio, and top recording studio. remember, the people who run the last two also have contacts and if you get to know them, not only will you get first consideration for top rehearsal spots, special rates, favors etc, but you'll get introduced to other bands and a&r men occasionally and get yet again some insider info.

good luck ;)

i may copy most of this into my blog. :)

As I said I'm a dreamer .....

I agree with John, good points....

Music business tough business .

Actually, we got signed with WarnerBros records ....... but not as an artist or a record deal :D

But I can say I'm signed with Warner Bros :D

Piece!

Very intriguing is there a hush clause or are you just teasing us?

In the current climate for labels - the ONLY guaranteed method is to stay focused on building your own audience and fan-base.

Then they'll be all over you with desperate greed and hunger.

Schmoozing gets people to know who you are.

But it's a market that makes 'em want you.

They don't really care how good you are or what you sound like - just how much money they can possibly make.

In the current climate for labels - the ONLY guaranteed method is to stay focused on building your own audience and fan-base.

Then they'll be all over you with desperate greed and hunger.

Schmoozing gets people to know who you are.

But it's a market that makes 'em want you.

They don't really care how good you are or what you sound like - just how much money they can possibly make.

Well that makes sense! I suppose if the band you're in is pretty busy, and you have a good following, do you need a record label? I know a few bands that are doing the circuits that are quite happy selling CDs to a good fan base!

if the band you're in is pretty busy, and you have a good following, do you need a record label?

Indeed - that's the next pertinent question.

And the answer as I see it is a lot of 'maybe':

Maybe if they offer effective organisation and expertise and a pr department that will substantially increase sales and distribution and promotion and marketing...

Maybe - now you have a position of some strength - and they really want you - if you can schedule such goals and targets realistically as part of the agreement...

Maybe if they coommit to investment in performance and exposure and ancilliary exploitation to a level you couldn't possible handle independently...

then Maybe it's worthwhile evaluating the benefits and compromises.

Edited by Lazz

Pleased to meet you Lazz.

Like-wise.

Nice hat !!