Your Ad Could Be Here

Instruments For Folk Music

Hey

Do any of you play any instruments, other than guitar, bass, keys, drum kit etc?

For example, I play mandolin, bodhran, and a bit of violin/fiddle. On a more world folk side I tinker with my didgeridoo ;) and recently started up with the Djembe.

Now if I could only work out how yo play them at once! Oh that would be noisy! lol

I also used to play the bagpipes :), but I only have a practice chanter now.

Cheers

John

• 4 years later...

hi all ! :lol2: I play dozens of exotic woodwinds. :helpsmilie:

Primarily bagpipes, 4 of which I play on a daily basis: Scots Highland, Irish Uilleann, Italian Zampogna, & French Musette.

Pretty much got chops on most winds, except flute & bassoon. never sussed those out ^_^ o well.

wow. incredible selection of smileys here!!! :001_rolleyes:

I'd love a set of Uileann or small highland pipes

• Like 1

I'd love a set of Uileann

you and many many others. 2 of the worlds foremost pipemakers live in Vermont, and they;ve simply closed their books (ie: stopped taking new orders) New Uilleann pipes are all custom made to order.

Full sets can sell for more than $25k, and the wait list.... :wheelchair: , well a picture's worth 1000...

Most Uilleann would-be's start with a practice set (chanter, bellows & bag) and add on the rest (drones, regs, etc) as funds become available. start saving!

As a piper, Im sure you know that Pakistan-made instruments (although instantly available and temptingly cheap) are not viable for use as an *actual* musical instrument.

or small highland pipes

These are instantly available and often less expensive than Highland pipes. There are a number of excellent small GHB makers active today. There; s several major species in production, all with the same fingering as GHB,

Scottish Small Pipes: Bellows blown, multiple drone configurations. its a source of argument, but many pipers feel they sound like a practice chanter with drones. Made in A, Bb, C, & D

"Kitchen" Pipes, essentially mouthblown smallpipes, again the same result. Each pipemaker seems to have their own copyrighted design and individual version of this type. Sometimes called 'Fireside' pipes

Border pipes: Bellows blown, louder than smallpipes, and with a chanter tone that is closer to the Highland pipes. Sometimes called Lowland pipes. Google Fred Morrison to hear one of the best on these. Usually found only in A & Bb.

draggin ya back into the whirlpool again aint i.... sorry :whistle:

• Like 1

Luckily I live in Scotland where there are at least a few pipemakers, and Ireland isn't far away... that said they are still pretty expensive. Last time I checked they were about £4000 but that was almost 10 years ago. Price is certainly a major factor in when I can buy a set. Who knows maybe one day. My previous set of highland pipes were made by kintail, I think my practice chanter was made by Hardys. i tried a set of Pakistan pipes about 30 years ago and they were shockingly bad for playing and tuning. Nothing like a decent set of pipes. More like an ornament and a poor one at that,

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

There are many instruments available for producing folk music and you can also make some production industry for developing best music. You also have to play some best instrument for provide effect of the music.

• 1 year later...

I bought a mandolin and im looking forward to learning how to play it! I really want to learn to play a 12 String guitar though... someday!

• 5 months later...
  • Noob

I use a mandolin, dobro, banjo, and sometimes a bit of fiddle. Recently, I wrote a song using a concertina that was kind of cool.

• 8 years later...