Your Ad Could Be Here

Recomended Amatuer Recording Equipment

I've been browsing here a while, but I couldn't find much on specific brands/types of recording equipment. I've been feeling rather glum over my attempts thus far; I've been trying to record songs using Audacity as my program, a Radioshack $20 microphone, and a musciciansfriend.com $80 pre-amp. I think Audacity might be a little screwed up in itself, since recording channel-by-channel gives me a slight time lag towards the beginning of the layers. Plus, the mike is fairly unreliable and fluctuates the sound like you wouldn't believe. I am able, through multiple amplifications and then normalizations, get a fairly uniform volume, but then the sound quality is scratchy and there's a perpetual buzzing in the background.

Now that I'm finished complaining, I would like to get some recomendations for good equipment, particularly a mike and recording program. :D

Edited by Threndor

I guess the best options are going to be something from Cubase or Cakewalk. Both do entry level applications aimed at the budget concieous. And both are superb! A good all round mic would be a Sure sm58, then increase the ram, processor and hard drive and you'll be flying! :)

As for hum (not so much the crackle) - sometimes the fault is in your electric system. Faulty freezers, washing machines or what have you, may pass along noise (and sometimes a considerable voltage) to ground which get's into your sound path if you're not properly grounded.

The best solution is to find the faulty appliance and fix that, but sometimes it may not even be in your house. Several houses often share the same ground.

The second best solution is to create your own ground, but since that involves digging down a big copper rod in your yard that might prove too laborious.

Sometimes what seems to work well is to ground yourself - stick a cable into your mixer and the other end down your pants. That will often rid you of the worst hum. Just guard your private parts - sometimes up to half of your systems voltage (in Europe 240 V) can travel to ground (in which case you really should contact an electrician and have him sort your problem out before frying your nuts).

You could also go with a mbox 2 it includes pro tools le software :D

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=...amp;itemid=4893

I second that [smiley=rockin.gif]

contact an electrician and have him sort your problem out before frying your nuts.

Very good advice! Is it possible it could be the computer fan? If you record a hum in the background, it will only increase in volume if you bounce tracks, etc.

If you record a hum in the background, it will only increase in volume if you bounce tracks, etc.

Perhaps you could teach it to hum in tune?

Or better still get two more fans and get them to hum in three part harmony

Edited by Nick

Very good advice! Is it possible it could be the computer fan? If you record a hum in the background, it will only increase in volume if you bounce tracks, etc.

With a mic with a decent directional profile you shouldn't catch much computer noise.

hey threndor

You might find this post of help...

http://forums.songstuff.com/index.php?show...amp;#entry71678

Maybe not :)

Cheers

John