Your Ad Could Be Here

Screaming

Im Just curious what people think of songs that scream, like heavier rock, metal, death metal and other things.

Myself, I can scream, and intend to use it as as backup when recording at some point.

Who else can scream, and what are your opinions on it?

Not at the moment, we have a band line up, and about an albums worth of material, but with the amount of stuff going on, like exams just finished, and starting GCSE's, its on hold 'till the summer. I just can't hold a scream for longer then around 10 seconds, When I try screaming to Given Up by Linkin Park, I cant hold the note for the whole 18-19 seconds.

oh you also are fan of LP.....man................

man they are just rulers..........m die hard fan.....

3 days before i was practicing hard for "Behind your Lies" {aka QWERTY}

and i did it quite good......

can you put over some of your voice.....i'd like to hear.....i can scream well at lower pitch .... songs like bleed it out and such.....

Regards, Prayag

I have all of their albums on my phone, one peticular song I have trouble with is By Myself, the screaming is unusual.

I dont listen to any other bands usually that scream apart from Avenged Sevenfold. Fall Out Boy occasionally do, in The Carpal Tunnel Of Love & there is quite alot of backup screaming in their second album Take This To Your Grave.

yeah me, too.....

i also have all LP in my cell.....

I dont listen to any other bands usually that scream apart from Avenged Sevenfold. Fall Out Boy occasionally do, in The Carpal Tunnel Of Love & there is quite alot of backup screaming in their second album Take This To Your Grave.

what a co-incidence....i just came across "avenged Sevenfold".....and i really liked them...

they are rocking.... [smiley=vocals.gif][smiley=rockin.gif][smiley=drums.gif][smiley=acoustic.gif]

Regards, Prayag

If you like screaming check out Blindside, they dont use it to a stupid excess but the vocalist can sing and the band are one of my favs :)

Screaming bands with some singing :

Blindside

In Flames

Flyleaf

Crystal Castles

Children Of Bodom <3

Bullet For My Valentine (Pride Of Wales XD)

Red Jumpsuit Apparatus

Done lol

Check them out.

• 2 months later...
:)

Aah, that guy is just hilarious, and bad! He keeps critisizing other screams, comparing his own bad scream with his own versions of the other screams. Don't listen to him, he's silly.

If you want to learn some basics about different kinds of screams, look at this video (amongst others ofcourse):

Yeah, he wasn't particularly good - but he made a few valid points. Be careful with your voice BTW - if you want to keep using it.

I think Mike Patton had a pretty good live mike technique after a while. Here's a live recording from Phoenix in '97 where he really shows how you make a gruff sound without having to worry about the next gig (or the higher song parts coming next), he alternates his breathing or something:

[edit]

Oh, nearly forgot: this little plugin is for changing pitch of what your mic picks up - most people use it for chipmunk effect, but try turning it DOWN. Instant lion roar possibilities without stretching the old vocal chords that bad... ^_^

http://www.download.com/Funny-Voice/3000-2...4-10068701.html

It's strange, I don't like any screaming at all, especially bands like Linkin Park etc. I find it unneccessary - but I do like it in Nirvana. But that's because I felt like Kurt was screaming for a reason. It just seemed to mean more to the song. Other times I hear bands screaming their lungs out for no apparent reason. The line could be "I Love You" and these bands would still roar:

"I Love Yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

So sometimes, yeah - if it's pulled off well.

• 3 weeks later...

I've gone through my stages with metal and screaming and other types of music with screaming and finally I appreciate it and like it somewhat. I can't sing to save my life and I thought I chould scream and growl for a metal song, I was wrong. I respect growling especially, it takes skill and actually screaming you have to hit some notes. I also like screaming used as quiet backing vocals for normal singing, especially for singers with high-to-medium pitched voices. I draw the line of growling and screaming at death metal/grindcore/deathcore songs where all they do is growl loud and incomprehensably without change of tone or anything. To ellaborate more on that, I guess I mean songs where they almost just talk in the lion roar I can't stand. If you really want to hear some screaming, check out extreme noise terror. They cross another line or 2 or 500 by my standards.

I only like screaming when it's not overdone. I love screaming when it's done normally... like in Flyleaf - I'm So Sick, Green Day - Hitchin' A Ride (at one point screams) and of coarse the legendary 17 second scream in Given Up. I love Avenged Sevenhold... Like Afterlife, Bat Country, Seize The Day. I haven't heard much from them, just some songs from youtube. I can't stand heavy metal though... that scream all through the song, it's as annoying as heck!!

I'd have to say Chester Benington is the best screamer though. He must have some pretty big lungs for some of the stuff he does, especially live concertes!! Man I wish so bad to go to one of their concerte's one day.

~TIMOTHY~