Your Ad Could Be Here

Getting To Know You

Hey Everyone!

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments? I sing and play an instrument

What instruments? Guitar

When did you start playing? June 2013

Did you teach yourself? Yes

2. Are you in a band or bands? Nope

What is the name of the band?

What do you play?

What other instruments are in the band?

Do you have a band website?

3. Do you write songs? Yes

Do you write lyrics, music or both? Both

Do you have a writing partner? Nope

4. Do you record your music? I've recorded once a couple years back, I will be recording an EP this summer

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use? Nope

Do you use a recording studio? I will be using a studio that my friend has access to

Do you have music available on the web? if so where? I post videos to youtube!

5. What other roles do you perform in the music business? None

Management? Label owner? Publishing? Promotion? Other?

6. Are you a tech head? Definitely not!

7. What country do you live in? England

8. What are your ambitions? To get paid for doing this, to sell out venues etc

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit? Nope

What are your pastimes? I write songa, I play football, that's basically it :P

10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff? Just the opportunity for a number of people to see my lyrics and stuff, networking etc

• Like 1

• Noob

Hi, I'm new here.  Answering the applicable questions.
3. Do you write songs?
I write lyrics only, but sometimes have a musical feel in mind though I play no instruments

4. Do you record your music? I have a couple songs recorded and co-written with a friend.

7. What country do you live in? I live in the U.S.

8. What are your ambitions? I would love to find a musical collaborator; someone who's music moves me to write more.  Best case scenario -- we make serious money.

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit?  I write poetry, teach martial arts.

10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff?  Not sure  --  haven't investigated the sight yet

I think that covers the main musical things!

• Like 1

Gidday, everyone...glad to meet  cha'ya!

Straight off...I gotta explain the extra "Y" in my name. The four letter version was already taken...so, what the heck...I added another "Y". FINALLY! I ain't associated with a four letter word!

I'm really at a crossroads in my life. I just turned 21...again...for the third freakin' time! I'm 63...and have had a life of music.(Yep...a Woodstock alumni, too...) Jingles. Commercial music...like ya hear in elevators. I always had a love/hate relationship with it...but it's paid the bills. But now...as I look back on the rows I've hoed...it's a freakin' long way back! But!!!! When I look the other way...to see what the way forward looks like...I can readily see the fence. That's it. Finito...

So...I am driven to get me a Grammy. I'm even starting a Bach in Popular Music at Griffith Uni. One son (24, keys & electronic compositions) has already earned his Bach. My second son (22, bass) is in it, now...my third son (20, 6-string) is getting his arm twisted by me to start along with me.

I've got a REALLY nice studio out here: AVID C-24 desk, 8-core MAC, ProTools HD...Moogs/Key Synths/Guitar Synths...all sorts of doo-dads. We are off in the rainforest way behind Murwillumbah. NICE!!! My boys always are here using the facilities and I get to jam with them all the time. They have just finished their first album...

Me? I play guitar. Yep. I'm good, too. I write pretty good, too. Well, so I've convinced myself, anyway! With all my experience in jingles...I do have VERY strong and MEMORABLE stuff with "in yer face hooks" and melodies. My playing buddies are all in the USA and they are session musos. I miss them, HEAPS...and we were kids, together, long long ago. We get together to do things, still...and we are working on a killer album right now. The "in house demos" are nothing short of shockingly good. I can hardly wait to get everything recorded "for real". One shortcoming...is finding a singer as good as the rest of us. That search continues...

My influences have brought me to come up with what I call my playing genre: Soph Rock. Pronounce it "soft rock"...meaning "sophisticated". No three chord run of the mill stuff. R/4/5 with 7ths gets trite and boring. So do 4 chord cycles that go on and on and end up nowhere...

Beatles, Moody Blues, Rush, Supertramp, Yes (I already have tix for their Nov 14th show), Who, Queen, Brahms, Mahler...

My favourite guitarist is...far and away...Jeff Beck. Sure, Henrdrix and Clapton, too...but Jeff Beck heads up my list...

For you 6-stringers out there...here's how I'm set up...

I have heaps of guitars...and have used an Ibanez Artist EQ for donks. JUST getting my new Gibson set up from my guitar guy:

Les Paul "studio". Light strings (.008's). Besides the stock Humbuckers on it...I have it being fitted with a third Humbucker in the middle...but it's getting rewound for two outputs to put out EAD & GBE separately. (Criminy! I'm STILL waiting for it to be finished!) I put the regular output into the board...as well as the other two...split EAD far left and GBE far right. Playing "out loud"...I have a small bass amp for the bottom strings and a trebly amp for the top three strings. I keep the amps separated about three meters apart. My Artist is set up like this...along with a Roland synth pickup on it, too. I'll get the Roland pickup swapped over to the new LP as soon as I get it in me hands!

So...why did I get onto this site??? Companionship...peer reviews...swapping playing techniques and recording ideas...keeping abreast of today's trends and "what's goin' on"...and being able to not be so much of an "analogue dinosaur" in this digital age!

What else can I add??? Not a whole lot, I guess!!!

Cheers!

T

EDIT: Hey! I thought this was an Aussie site! Nope...what the heck...so what...I'm in Australia! I'm cool with that...

Edited by Tonyy
  • Like 1

• Noob

Hello! Figured I should start by letting people know about me. I'm still young, but I know music is what I want to do with my life. I've got the attention span of a squirrel, but that doesn't mean I'm not a hard worker :) my username only comes from the fact that I love roses, I love red, you can figure out the rest!

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments?

Yes, all three! Singing is my main point; I could be in the middle of a mob and still lose myself in a song. I've sang since I knew how, and it fills me with a passion that I just can't get anywhere else. I know guitar...well, I'm self-taught, but I can still play famous songs and my own fairly well, I'd say.

When I was ten or so, I bought my first guitar, a cheap acoustic. It broke constantly, took a lot of fixing and definitely wasn't the best, but I loved it to death...and still have it!

Hehe, oops, already said up there I did. :P

2. Are you in a band or bands?

No, I'm a lone wolf. I haven't met anybody yet who is serious about it like I am.

3. Do you write songs?

Oh, yes yes yes! I write lyrics for the most bit; I've only ever written music a few times, but I do know how.

I do not have a writing partner.

4. Do you record your music?

Kind of... I haven't had any official recordings, although I do have at home for my own practice/critiques.

5. What other roles do you perform in the music business?

Not in it quite yet.

6. Are you a tech head?

Uh, no! :P

7. What country do you live in?

Canada :)

8. What are your ambitions?

My ultimate goal is to perform my songs at Madison Square Garden on New Years Eve....but until then, at the moment it's simply to get my notoriety up so that I can build a reputation, and hopefully have a company take interest in me and take me on.

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit?

Oh for sure, I'm a very creative person! I love dance, and I write stories and poetry as well. A lot of what I do are just hobbies though; singing is my main focus. I've also had my phase of making jewelry and accessories, although I never put anything up for sale.

10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff?

I want real feedback on my lyrics and writing scheme, and see where I can improve. I'd also like to see what other people do, and hopefully get some inspiration. I need some real critiquing before I send my songs off; when I look at them, I usually see 5 pieces of junk and one bright gem. I'd like to know where I can improve, what I need to do and how good of a chance I've got at people being interested in what I write.

• Like 1

• Noob

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments?....yes

What instruments?....drums, guitar,

When did you start playing?

- drums - age 18

Did you teach yourself?

no

2. Are you in a band or bands?....joined my first band at age 18

What is the name of the band?....none

What do you play?....I was a drummer & singer from 14-23 when I was in bands

Do you have a band website?....several artist websites...just me though, at least for right now

3. Do you write songs?....yes

Do you write lyrics, music or both?....both

Do you have a writing partner?.....no

4. Do you record your music?.......yes

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use?.....home studio/freestanding Tascam 24 track digital deck along with a mish-mosh of other gear

Do you use a recording studio?...nope!....strictly a hobbiest now

Do you have music available on the web? if so where? songsnsingles.com

Management? Label owner? Publishing? Promotion? Other?...really doesn't apply to amateurs like myself

6. Are you a tech head?...no,

7. What country do you live in?......USA

8. What are your ambitions?...musically speaking, to be able to continue functioning as a dedicated amatuer, continue growing as both a songwriter & a home studio technician and to constantly remind myself that I'm not a pro & that I should feel pretty good about whatever validation I manage to get along the way..........anything beyond that, will just be icing on the cake for me.

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit?...not really, music is my primary creative outlet

What are your pastimes? I try to keep in some kind of reasonable physical shape, catch some TV & movies and work on things musical.

10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff?I continue to learn, recieve feedback and get perspective from others who know as much or more about things musical as I do.

• Noob

Hey

thought this might be an interesting exercise:

What instruments?

Acoustic Guitar, Ukulele, Cavaco, All percusion Instruments.

When I was 8 maybe...

Did you teach yourself?

Yes.

Not now, but I have experience with that. I was singer in diferente bands.

What do you play?

nop.

3. Do you write songs?

Do you write lyrics, music or both?

both

Do you have a writing partner?

I dont have at all. But I Always invite friends to arrange and play with me.

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use?

I use a Zoom and thats all

Do you have music available on the web? if so where?

On Youtube.

Brazil

Music and Hapiness

Partners and self music improvement,

• Like 1

• Noob

What instruments?

I actually sing.

I have been singing all my life.

Did you teach yourself?

Yes.

2. Are you in a band or bands? No

What do you play?

3. Do you write songs?

I write Lyrics 

I do not .

No I don't record my music.

No.

The states 

To write for different people as well as perform my own lyrics.

I would like to receive feedback from people who will be completely honest.

• Like 1

• Noob

Hi there. I'm Brian.

I play guitar, have been for six years, and have taught myself with YouTube and just a good set of ears.

I am in a experimental hardcore metal band. Our name is losing mercury, check us out on Facebook, reverbnation, and bandcamp.

I write most of the lyrics for our band, and I write lyrics for my solo projects.

I also write all of the guitar for our band, and of course my solo stuff.

We have recorded our 8 songs in our own home studio and our vocalist did his best to mix them.

We are currently recording in a friends studio, and it sounds loads better!

My goals in being on this site are to get my name and band out there, to gain insight on my lyrics, and to meet and converse with fellow musicians/lyricists.

Thanks for reading, sorry for the sloppy format.

Peace.

• Like 1

I would sincerely love any feedback on my music, preferably not brutal. 

Hi there,

you should learn more on songwriting, as for singing, try to sing/record a cover song that you like

I wish I can sing in a band especially in the metal-core and post-hardcore genre

No, however if I was in a band I would suggest the band name be called "Your Insight" which means too impact or go into someone's life

Trying to help and fix them from all their struggles and troubles

3. Do you write songs?

Yes I write a variety of lyrics/songs

The spectrum is wide from personal experiences too inspirations

The big thing with my songs is that I write my title as the topic or as a mystery too hide the meaning of the song

I have not recorded music, I'm only a creative writer at the moment

None, however id love to learn how to become a music producer

6. Are you a tech head?

No, but i know how to use a guitar amp

Hawaii, Oahu

My ambitions are too become a vocalist of 2 trades such as unclean and clean styles of voice use if that makes sense

Be in a band that has meaning to their music, something very heartfelt like from the metalcore and post hardcore bands have today

See one of my lyrics/songs be played(if this ever happens I'll be so happy and grateful that I continued to live)

Be a video game designer and screenwriter

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit?

I love to write stories

My current story is called Of Sleepers and Of Genocide

That story spans 6 generations

The last 2 needs to be complete in a rough draft

So it's like 6 different stories in one world like Pokemon haha

Yeah that's the best way to describe it

My other stories are called Sol, Absolute Lind and Lyricist

I love to watch a lot of youtube stuff my favorite youtuber right now is Ksi

I also play a little bit of Video Games

I listen to a lot of music throughout the day

Mainly metal-core stuff and post hardcore music

Or any music that has meanin and soul too it

If the music doesn't even have at least 1% of that, I won't listen too it at all

Meet new people who enjoy to write music and play music

Collaborate more with people

Help other people write lyrics

Also to learn more from different people here

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Noob

Yes I do sing but rap just as much.

What instruments?

Any instrument really I honestly don't know what I can't play.

Ever since I was born.

Did you teach yourself?

Yes, I taught myself because I was the only musician in my family but I listened to very talented musicians and it's worked out so far in my opinion lol!

Nope but if the opportunity is presented I'll consider it.

3. Do you write songs?
I LOVE WRITING SONGS!

Both...

No, don't mind having or helping someone,yet I only work on constructive and uplifting song or songs about change, etc. (I'm a very dedicated Christian) 

Yes, I record.

Do you use a home studio?
Yes I do have a home studio with professional sound. I do believe in people not seeing what you use but getting a great product. And I don't settle with close enough;IF IT'S NOT THE VISION... FIX IT! Then celebrate!

On Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/unhtread <-- (Old) This one has a few of my recordings.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AVDATheProducer <-- (NEW) This one has my most recent and earlier works. I will be updating soon this year.  

I'm technically not in any official music business yet but I am a  mixing engineer and  I am working on learning how to PROPERLY master a song. 

United States

I want to just help others though my music. If I may, I don't wanna just touch hearts; I will grab your hearts and show it to you lol. I hope that's not too violent for something nice but it gets my determination across usually.

Everything it has to offer....

• Like 1

Yes I rap, sing and orate whenever possible!

What instruments?
Nope, maybe the triangle haha!

Sang my whole life, started rapping few years back but only been writing my own lyrics for a few months. 

Did you teach yourself?
Yes

Solo artist

2ndSun

What do you play?

3. Do you write songs?
Yes
Write lyrics solo and compose beats with two partners.

No

4. Do you record your music?

Yes

Yes, FruityLoops, Audacity, Numark mixtrack pro/Traktor Pro S4, Samson G Track microphone all wired up too an Alienware MX17R3 Laptop

Do you use a recording studio?

No

Not yet

Too early to require any of this

6. Are you a tech head?
Yes

Netherlands 

Too make waves

I write poems, parlour stories, do a little street dancing.

What are your pastimes?
I play football at a semi-professional club level (Soccer to save confusion), I regularly play online poker also. Most of time is spent relaxing though, i enjoy my sci-fi, any Red Dwarf fans?

Honest critique and maybe some guidance where I can find it, just want to further my abilities and possibly help others where I can!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Noob

Yes 

What instruments?

Guitar, Bass

When I was 6

Did you teach yourself?
Mostly yes

bands

Caravaggio, WhatFlag, The Duckwhorts

What do you play?
Guitar

Drum,bass, Hammond, Piano, Brass

Working on Caravaggio's one .
3. Do you write songs?

Yes

Both

No

Yes

Home Studio. Cubase 5, Akai Professional Sound card, Rokit5 studio monitors , set of microphnes

yes

Yes

Caravaggio ( With the old name Plain Portrait ) : 

WhatFlag: https: //soundcloud.com/whatflag

The Duckwhorts : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF1D0B59151B75664

Musician, songwriter, Session Player

No yet

6. Are you a tech head?

Sometimes

United Kingdom

To enjoy each step of my future career sharing my life  with people who really love music and all its benefit to the society.

I love graphics and to draw. 

What are your pastimes?

My boy

Advice and friends

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I'm new to this so plase bare with me.

I sing and I am teaching myself music theory.

What instruments?

I'm trying to learn piano.

A few years ago.

Did you teach yourself?

I am teaching myself currently.

I am in a band.

It is called Flutter Byes

What do you play?

I write songs and sing.

We're an a Capella duo.

Message me.

3. Do you write songs?

That's what I do.

I write lyrics but I'm trying to learn with music too.

None.

No, since I don't have a melody for it.

I am using a home studio. I don't get the second part.

Nope.

I do. I do songs on Kompoz.com

I try to promote my band

6. Are you a tech head?

I get around.

United States

I want to become a great lyricist. And break the lie that songwriters are in the shadows.

I draw, sing, dance and act. I also write a lot of stories.

What are your pastimes?

I play soccer and video games.

Contacts, collaborators and also feedback.

• Like 1

• Noob

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments?   Yes

What instruments?  Trumpet and voice

When did you start playing?  At age 11 on the trumpet and singing in 2006.

Did you teach yourself?  No on trumpet.  Mostly but with some help from voice coaches with singing.

2. Are you in a band or bands?  No

What do you play?

3. Do you write songs?  Yes

Do you write lyrics, music or both?  Both

Do you have a writing partner?  No

4. Do you record your music?  Yes

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use?  Yes.  Besides a microphone for recording vocal tracks, I use various software applications including Finale Notepad, Audacity, Synthfont, Karafun Studio, and Reaper.

Do you use a recording studio?  No

Do you have music available on the web? if so where?  Yes.  https://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasHPaine/

Management? Label owner? Publishing? Promotion? Other?  Mixing and mastering my own recordings and creating cover art for my releases.

6. Are you a tech head?  No

7. What country do you live in?  U.S.A.

8. What are your ambitions?  To create music for people's enjoyment.

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit?  Yes

What are your pastimes?  Writing stories, photography, hiking, nature observation.

10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff?  Friends and ideas for improving my work as I'm just getting started with writing my own songs.

• Like 1

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments? I sing and play guitar.

What instruments? Acoustic guitar

When did you start playing? Not long ago. I'm still a beginner.

Did you teach yourself? Mostly yes.

2. Are you in a band or bands? No.

3. Do you write songs? Yes, I do :D

Do you have a writing partner? No, I wish I had though...

4. Do you record your music? I record it on my celphone just so I won't forget it.

5. What other roles do you perform in the music business? No.

6. Are you a tech head?

7. What country do you live in? Brazil.

8. What are your ambitions? I want to become a professional singer-songwriter.

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit? Well...I'm good with photoshop..

What are your pastimes?

I'd like to grow as a songwriter and know what people think about what I write since I never show it to anyone. I'd also really like to have a co-writer to be partners with.

• Like 1

i like to sing when i'm alone or when i'm singing along to songs with friends. I'm also considering taking guitar lessons.

nope

3. Do you write songs?
i write lyrics (at least i try too)

nope

nope

6. Are you a tech head?

nope

The Netherlands

To do something with music in my life, i love going to concerts and festivals and i started writing some lyrics about a year ago.

i write stories, i draw sometimes and i make games (it's the study i am doing).

Recently i started to write lyrics more frequently and i let some of my friends read them. They said they were good so i wanted to see if they really were and that's why i joined this forum. i hope people can give me some feedback on it and tell me what i should improve. please don't be to hard on me though, i have never done this in a serious way with a band and all so it's probably not that good. i'm mainly just looking for advice and feedback, no hard criticism.

i would also like to see what other people are posting on this forum, i looked around a bit and i only saw good things so i hope i can have some nice conversations about bands and lyrics as well as the feedback on my own and other peoples things :)

Edited by Sleepy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Noob
1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments? yes

What instruments? Accordian, guitar,bass guitar, keys, vocals

When did you start playing? 5 yrs old

Did you teach yourself? no

2. Are you in a band or bands? yes

What is the name of the band? toastedgoat, and crossthread

What do you play?guitar, and some vocals

What other instruments are in the band?keys, another guitar player singer, drums, bass guitar.

Do you have a band website?yes

3. Do you write songs?yes

Do you write lyrics, music or both? both

Do you have a writing partner? sometimes

4. Do you record your music? yes

Do you use a home studio? lately yes If so what gear do you use? motu 2408's focusrite preamps, aKg Shure, and AT mics, I use cubase, reaper, DP8 and pro tools sometimes.

Do you use a recording studio? yes sometimes

Do you have music available on the web? if so where? myspacetoatedgoat

5. What other roles do you perform in the music business? booking agent

6. Are you a tech head? not really. I can mix because I've been through a few courses, but I'm not that great.

7. What country do you live in? United States

8. What are your ambitions? I'm semi retired pro musician, just having fun now.

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit? I write lyrics and stories, We used to take ballroom dance classes.

What are your pastimes? music, golf, and volunteer work.

10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff? have some fun making some music.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Noob

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments? Yes

What instruments? Voice, trumpet, piano

When did you start playing? Singing since forever, trumpet 10 years, piano 1 year

Did you teach yourself? I was self-taught in singing until 3 years ago and self-taught on piano until very recently

2. Are you in a band or bands? Nope

3. Do you write songs? Yes

Do you have a writing partner? No.

4. Do you record your music? Sometimes

Do you use a home studio? Yes

Do you use a recording studio? No

Do you have music available on the web? if so where? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYgZhQnIirNkusM2_dTrlsQ  

I only have covers online so far, but I hope to post my original music soon

5. What other roles do you perform in the music business? None

Management? Label owner? Publishing? Promotion? Other? N/A

6. Are you a tech head? Not really

7. What country do you live in? 'Murica

8. What are your ambitions?  To find a career in music that means I am always happy and working hard.

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit? All of the above ;)

What are your pastimes? See above

Advice on lyrics and songwriting.  Lots of feedback!

• Like 1