Your Ad Could Be Here

Getting To Know You

• Noob

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments? Sing

What instruments?  Have dabbled, but play nothing proficiently, unless you count the tamborine!

When did you start playing?   I sing, front 'lady' and have been in local bands since, um, ((cough)) 1984...

Did you teach yourself?  I have been singing forever, my first lead was in 4th grade! ;o)

2. Are you in a band or bands?  Yes!

What is the name of the band?  Yes. We are The Stew

What other instruments are in the band?  Classic Rock mostly. 2 guitars, bass, drums, and me

Do you have a band website?  I have been in this band about 1 year and we are just getting a site together

3. Do you write songs?  Yes!

Do you write lyrics, music or both?  As I don't play anything proficiently, I write lyrics, but have come up with many of my own tunes. I'll sing it to the guys and they figure it out. Either that or they will give me music and I will write to that.

Do you have a writing partner?  Not at this time. Would love one.

4. Do you record your music?  One of the bands I was in we managed a CD and original project in the studio, but for the most part, not lately.

Do you have music available on the web? if so where? I used to have stuff on MySpace....but can't seem to find it! LOL It's been a while since I tried to log on and apparently it is gone.

5. What other roles do you perform in the music business?  none

6. Are you a tech head?  No

7. What country do you live in? US

8. What are your ambitions?   I am a teacher at an arts school and am lucky in that I was just given the ok to teach a lyric writing class

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit?  Not really - lyric writing is my thing

What are your pastimes?  I have two boys - 11 and 13 and they keep me busy.

10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff?  Inspiration, info for my new class, maybe even some one to work with!

• Like 1

Hi! I'm brand new on here.

Hey

thought this might be an interesting exercise:

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments? Both!

What instruments? Piano and guitar, and I sing

When did you start playing? Piano at 8 years old, guitar at 12, and I've always sung.

Did you teach yourself? Guitar yes, piano I had lessons

2. Are you in a band or bands? No

What is the name of the band?

What do you play?

What other instruments are in the band?

Do you have a band website?

3. Do you write songs? Yes

Do you write lyrics, music or both? Both - I find lyrics the easier part though

Do you have a writing partner? No

4. Do you record your music? Unfortunately not - I don't have the facilities so other than on my phone I don't usually record.

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use?

Do you use a recording studio? Hopefully one day!

Do you have music available on the web? if so where?

5. What other roles do you perform in the music business?

Management? Label owner? Publishing? Promotion? Other?

6. Are you a tech head?

7. What country do you live in? England

8. What are your ambitions? Improve and enhance my songwriting and get feedback on it from others on here.

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit? I write sometimes!

What are your pastimes? Music mainly. Also I love football (soccer) and learning languages.

10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff? Meeting a community of people interested in the same stuff!

I think that covers the main musical things!

fastlanephil, MeowsMouse, KatChapman1299 and 7 others like this Like This

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well... so it starts.... where will it lead?

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments? piano

What instruments?piano

When did you start playing? started lessons at 8, dropped them at 14... too bad ... but still playing

Did you teach yourself?

2. Are you in a band or bands? No

What do you play?

3. Do you write songs?  Yes

Do you write lyrics, music or both? Both

Do you have a writing partner? no.. not yet

4. Do you record your music?

Do you use a home studio?  yes ; If so what gear do you use? Sebelius 7 First

Do you use a recording studio? no

Do you have music available on the web? yes;  if so where? sound cloud ... Alfred Dean

5. What other roles do you perform in the music business? consumer

6. Are you a tech head?no but would like to improve and at least speak the language

7. What country do you live in? USA

8. What are your ambitions? Publish/record my music

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit? write stories/ musicals

What are your pastimes? What to you think?

10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff? Knowedge/connections/collaborations --> become a better composer and lyricist and learn to arrange/orchestrate

• Like 1

• Noob

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments? 
i sing
What instruments?
i can read and attempt to play guitar 
When did you start playing?
i have been singing my whole life no training 
Did you teach yourself?
yes 

2. Are you in a band or bands?

no

3. Do you write songs?

i can 

Do you write lyrics, music or both?

lyrics and probably could write the music

Do you have a writing partner?

nope just me

yes
no home studio or equipment yet
Do you use a recording studio?
i can go to a friends studio yes 

i have a couple collaborations, on soundcloud

n/a

6. Are you a tech head?
no
7. What country do you live in?
united states, Ogden Utah
8. What are your ambitions?

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit?

What are your pastimes?
i can draw, i love dance, and scrap-booking.
10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff?

i can draw, i love dance, and scrap-booking.

the know how and confidence to be able to move forward with my passion and dreams of being a positive and role model in the music industry!

• Like 1

I sing, and have been known to futz around with a keyboard or guitar/bass on occasion without really knowing what I was doing. Been doing it on and off since I was a toddler, and what little I know is primarily self-taught. If you count DAW's as an instrument, that's the one I'm at least somewhat good at--mainly because you can take your time with it.

I've done a few solo projects in the past, but about a month or so back my wife and I decided get more serious about making music and form a band. We settled on the name The Screaming Catz, as sort of a self-depreciative in-joke. That and it sounded cool. Honestly, we're not that bad, promise!

What do we play? Well, nothing yet. We've both got a huge variety of musical interests so we're just trying to get some songs together and see what direction we end up growing in. Our current notion is to create some bastard hybrid of surf, punk, electronica, and swing. Basically combining surf-inspired punk like Agent Orange with swing and electronica the way trip hop and electro-swing combine swing and electronica with rap. We'll see what we eventually come up with.

Currently we're working on putting together covers of Tom Wait's "God's Away on Business" and Cole Porter's "Let's Misbehave", as well as some original numbers to get a feel for our band's sound.

As far as instruments go, we've currently got two voices, a keyboard, and a metric ton of synthesizer software. We're planning on buying guitars, (both acoustic and electric) electric bass, and possibly even a cello and/or trumpet as well.

We don't have any kind of website up yet, since we haven't really recorded anything yet, but we do have a facebook page up as a placeholder. (Meant to make it private until we were ready to debut, but apparently facebook doesn't let you create a page without immediately publishing it anymore.)

3. Do you write songs?

For as long as I can remember. I mostly write lyrics, simply because that's what I can get out of my brain and into a tangible form. Currently I lack the knowhow to reproduce what I hear in my head on paper or with an instrument. My wife/bandmate helps me, and vice-versa. We've both dabbled in songwriting to some degree or another, and tend to complement each other well.

I'm strictly home studio, due to budget constraints. For me recording means stringing cords across the living room from various microphones/instruments/devices to a computer, and then mixing the tracks together in FL Studio. I have a running joke of saying that the name of my record label is "Jerry Riggs Studios."

I've got a few tracks from one of my solo projects floating around on a website somewhere, but honestly I'd be a little embarrassed to share it. Not so much for the musical quality as much as the persona I adopted while doing it. Suffice to say there was a lot of in your face attitude involved. Not that that's nessecarily a bad thing, but it can present a barrier to social interactions when you come across as a raging, antisocial punk. :whistle:

Well, with my last project I was basically my own mini-industry. I wrote, performed (or programmed/sequenced), recorded, and mixed/produced the music in my living room. Burned the cds with my home computer, designed and printed out disc labels/case art. Put the whole thing together and talked the local record stores into carrying them. I also handled promotion/management duties for myself and booked a couple of venues, through all but one fell through and the one that actualy happened was more of a DJ job than a live performance. I also managed an online presence via a soundclick site, forums, and an online radio station.

6. Are you a tech head?

God yes. Computers and electronics I understand. Music theory and analogue instruments not so much. I'm still waiting for someone to perfect DNI so I can just stick a plug in my head and record straight from my brain. Cut out the middle man, y'know?

U.S.A. Home of the worst intellectual property laws this side of the Death Star.

Just to make music and share it with those who will listen. The major record labels are a bunch of con artists and thugs who can go die in a fire, so I'm not really interested in signing with one--which pretty much limits what I can hope to achieve. I'd love to travel around and do shows eventually, but that's nearly impossible without a major label backing you. Being "internet famous" wouldn't be bad, and money would be nice simply because being broke sucks, but mostly I just want to get the music out of my head and into people's ears.

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit?

All things, all the time. Name anything creative or artistic and chances are I at least dabble in it.

Mainly I'm just looking for a community I can participate in. People I can talk to, learn from, share and recieve advice with, and grow alongside as a musician. I have a lot of questions about making music that lessons, practice, and research have not answered, and I'm hoping that just being able to ask questions and talk with people will prove more effective. Plus, it's always good to have people who share your interests to "talk shop" with.

Edited by SmokeyJoe
  • Like 1

• Noob

Yes
What instruments?
Guitar
Did you teach yourself?
Yes

No, but I (loosely) manage and help promote a band

Moses Nose

Drums, Bass, Lead Guitar, and Rhythm Guitar (who also performs vocal duties.

yes, www.mosesnose.com 

3. Do you write songs?

Yes
Do you write lyrics, music or both?
Both
Yes, Josh O, Lead Guitarist in Moses Nose

Moses Nose does
No
Franklin Street Studios Monterey CA

www.reverbnation.com/mosesnose

www.facebook.com/mosesnoseband

soundcloud.com/moses-nose

mosesnose.bandcamp.com/

Promotion for local shows

6. Are you a tech head?
Nope, old school

USA

To help Moses Nose became a successful mainstream band

No

What are your pastimes?
Soccer and Pubs

To learn more about the changes in the music industry and how to navigate the business.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Noob

I play piano at a heinously amateur level but I'm a singer predominantly 

Nope

3. Do you write songs?
I sure do, I write all my stuff myself

I tend to record all my stuff on my phone but have been to a local recording studio to get some stuff done previously.

5. What country do you live in?

England.

6. What are your ambitions?

I'm only 16 but have great ambition of taking my music to the largest audience possible really!

7. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit?

Writing constantly. 

8. What would you like to get out of Songstuff?

To feel more a part of the online music community I suppose. 

If anyone is interested my soundcloud is: https://soundcloud.com/eloiseyk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Noob

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments?  Yes

What instruments?  

Singing, Piano, Guitar, Bass, Brass, Woodwinds

Piano: Age 6(Self Taught)

Guitar/Bass: Age 16(Self Taught)

Singing: Age 10(School Choir) 

Woodwinds: Age 10(School Band)

Brass: Age 15(School Band)

Did you teach yourself? Yes and no, Piano has had 3 months college instruction

2. Are you in a band or bands? Used to be in a few

Sorry for the Silence(Youtube search Sorry for the Silence - The Daughter CD Release)

Blast the Stereo(Purevolume Blast the Stereo)

Royal(Youtube Search Royal Rage Charles, Hello Android, Invogue Records)

What do you play? Keyboards and Backing Vocals

What other instruments are in the band? Guitar, Bass, Drums

Do you have a band website? no

Both

Sometimes, mostly I write with artists directly but I am looking for a songwriting partner

Yes.

Gear: iMac, Apollo Twin Interface, Native Instruments Maschine Studio, PRS SE Zach Myers Guitar, Guild GAD-50NAT Acoustic Guitar, Avid Eleven Rack, Neumann TLM102 Microphone

Do you use a recording studio? When needed for professional cuts.

Do you have music available on the web? if so where? www.soundcloud.com/erichannon

Producer, Engineer, Beatmaker

6. Are you a tech head?  Yes

7. What country do you live in?  USA, Miami, FL (current location)

8. What are your ambitions?   Publishing deal as songwriter, Producer/Songwriter/Composer for major artists, and of course win a Grammy.

Graphic Design when needed for myself or artists photoshoots/cd covers etc.

I'd like to be able to further my education on songwriting, get better at it, and also learn as much as I can about the business.

• Like 1

• Noob

Yurs I do
What instruments?
Guitar, Bass, Keyboard
Guitar was about 5 years ago. I just transferred the stuff I learned from guitar to bass. Piano was 2 years ago.
Did you teach yourself?
I taught myself piano
I'm in a church band, but it's not really the same as what you're referring to so I'll say no.
3. Do you write songs?
Yes
I do both
Nope
Yes
I use Mixcraft 7 and FL studio 12 along with a multi pedal that I use to connect to my laptop.

Soundcloud

6. Are you a tech head?
noooo
United States of America

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Noob

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments? Yes. 

What instruments? Piano, guitar, ukulele, vocals, mandolin, melodica

When did you start playing? I started playing piano when I was about 11 and guitar when I was 15. The rest I just kinda picked up over the years. 

Did you teach yourself? I took informal piano lessons for two or three years, then I taught myself the rest of the instruments. 

2. Are you in a band or bands? Yes. 

What is the name of the band? ​We are currently deciding on a name, though we had been performing as Patty PerShayla + The Noon Thirties

What do you play? I am the songwriter, singer, and guitarist, though I also play piano and uke on occasion. 

What other instruments are in the band? Currently, drums and bass. We are also looking for a lead guitarist. 

Do you have a band website? www.pattypershayla.com

3. Do you write songs? Yes. 

Do you write lyrics, music or both? Both. 

Do you have a writing partner? Not currently.

4. Do you record your music? Yes. 

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use? I do. I use Yamaha monitors, a PreSonus AudioBox USB, and a Blue Bluebird microphone. 

Do you use a recording studio? Not currently, but if I can afford it for the next album, I will. 

Do you have music available on the web? if so where? Yes, I use BandCamp but there is free streaming at my website, www.pattypershayla.com

Management? Label owner? Publishing? Promotion? Other? I manage and promote the band and am also considering starting a label. 

6. Are you a tech head? I live with one so I don't have to be. 

7. What country do you live in? The U.S.A.

8. What are your ambitions? I want to be a full-time musician with a following that supports me without the need for an outside record label. 

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit? I am starting a music-based craft business.

What are your pastimes? Music is my life, but I am also very much in love with being active in several fan communities for geeky pop culture. 

10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff? A better idea of how to be an independent musician in a very saturated market. 

• Like 1

• Noob

Hey,

So here are some questions I've answered by me..

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments?  Yes.

What instruments? Guitar.

When did you start playing? July, 2014.

Did you teach yourself? Yes. Bless YouTube.

2. Are you in a band or bands? NO.

What do you play?

3. Do you write songs? Yes.

Do you write lyrics, music or both? Both.

Do you have a writing partner? No.

4. Do you record your music? Yes.

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use? My Mobile Phone.

Do you use a recording studio? No.

Do you have music available on the web? if so where? No.

5. What other roles do you perform in the music business? None as yet.

6. Are you a tech head? Nope.

7. What country do you live in? India.

8. What are your ambitions? Photography, Writing, Travelling

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit? Draw? Yes, to some extent.

What are your pastimes? READING

• Like 1

• Noob

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments? Hell yeah I do!

What instruments? Bass guitar, piano/keyboard, tin whistle, a little bit of drums, and of course, vocals.

When did you start playing? Uhm... Years ago XD

Did you teach yourself? Mmmmhmmm!

2. Are you in a band or bands? I sure am!

What is the name of the band? We're torn between What If We're Dead? and Living Nightmare.

What do you play? I play the piano/keyboard and do the main female vocals.

What other instruments are in the band? We have drums, a lead male vocalist, screaming vocalis, and an electric guitarist.

Do you have a band website? Not yet! We only formed recently.

3. Do you write songs? Yup!

Do you write lyrics, music or both? Just lyrics at the moment.

Do you have a writing partner? Kind of...

4. Do you record your music? Not yet! Soon, though.

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use? Nope!

Do you use a recording studio? Not yet!

Do you have music available on the web? if so where? Haha, no not yet.

5. What other roles do you perform in the music business? Well I'm in charge of the art/logo side of our band.

6. Are you a tech head? Uhm... Yeah!

7. What country do you live in? England :3

8. What are your ambitions? Well for several years I have been aspiring to become an animator or DreamWorks, but now it is to be in a successful band, and to publish the book that I am currently working on.

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit? Yup! I do all of those things, as well as doing 3D computer animation!

What are your pastimes? Pretty much all of the above things, but also gaming and listening to music.

10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff? Well I just think that there is a really great community on this site, and I would love this.community's help with my song lyrics!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Noob

I sing and am learning guitar on my own.

Nope, but that would be super fun!

3. Do you write songs?

I have written a few songs and have a lot more in mind to write. My first collaborator was my 15-year-old nephew, and I think the song turned out great!

Not yet, other than on my voice recorder simply so I won't forget what I just came up with. :) I've got a small mixer, mic, and an iMac so I can make a basic home recording when I'm ready. Will also get on SoundCloud at some point.

Nada

6. Are you a tech head?

Sorta.

U.S.

Basically, playing for my own pleasure and possibly in small venues locally. No aspirations to fame, although if Faith Hill wanted to record one of my songs, I wouldn't turn her down, LOL!

Yes, I read a lot and have written a couple of books. I am also an amateur photographer. If I could write, take pictures, and make music all day every day, I would be beyond ecstatic.

Connections with other songwriters so I can learn from them and hopefully help someone too. :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • Noob

I sing, started taking lessons formally a few months ago. 

I play piano since age 16, self-taught

Not currently. During university I was part of a class charity cover band for a couple of years. I sang and on rare occasions played keys. 

3. Do you write songs?

Yes, both lyrics and music. I'm a member of SOCAN. 

I currently don't have a writing partner but I'm certainly open to collaboration and have written with other people in the past. 

Yes, I've recorded one song with an indie producer. Otherwise I just record in my bedroom using an interface, my keyboard as a midi controller and cubase. 

I've posted some of my stuff on various social media platforms but mainly: 

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/ready-player-one

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkuQTfwMFGyHmng8mnC0E-g

None

6. Are you a tech head?

No, wish I had the skills/knowledge to be one.

Canada

To write some good music that people can connect to and hopefully perform it live in front of an audience beyond my close family and friends. 

I write poetry. Used to write short fiction but haven't had time for that in over 10 years. I also play video games. Way too much. 

A community to share my original work and get some honest, constructive feedback and to gain exposure to other original works. 

• Like 2

• Noob

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments? Yes

What instruments? Keyboards and Bagpipes

When did you start playing? 1968

Did you teach yourself? Yes and No

2. Are you in a band or bands? Play with other musicians for writing purposes only

What do you play? Keyboards and Producer

What other instruments are in the band? Bass, Acoustic and electric lead & sometimes percussion

Do you have a band website? No

Do you write lyrics, music or both? Yes

Do you have a writing partner? Yes

4. Do you record your music? Yes

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use? Yes, Pro Tools, also AWG 16 Yamaha 16 track recorder 

Do you use a recording studio? Sometimes

Do you have music available on the web? if so where? YouTube  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS8ULNfuSDg&feature=player_embedded - Published

5. What other roles do you perform in the music business? Tea and sympathy

6. Are you a tech head? Yes, more on computer side hold multiple certifications. 

7. What country do you live in? USA

8. What are your ambitions? We would like to get music in independent film for soundtrack 

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit? Pro Photography and creative writing

What are your pastimes? Working on computer PC repair/upgrade, virus removal. 

Get help with some of my vintage Roland gear, that seems to be lacking. 

Just nice to be part of musical community to share ideas.  I have been a passive reader in the past and ran  into a problem with my old Roland U110 and need to hopefully reach someone whom can help me with the thing. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Yes and yes.

What instruments?

Electric Guitars.

about 17 years ago

Did you teach yourself?

Yupp

Yes!

Aby's Dice

What do you play?

Guitar and Vocals

Violin, Female Singer, Bass, Drums

www.abysdice.com

3. Do you write songs?

Yes

both

The other members of the band

Yes

For recording:

- Presonus Firestudio 16.0.2

- Shure SM 57

- Shure SM58

- Rode NT1-A

- Several no name drum mics 

- Yamaha SL-7 

No, we record everything ourselfes

www.abysdice.com

soundcloud.com/abysdice

reverbnation.com/abysdice

abysdice.bandcamp.com

Just musician ;)

6. Are you a tech head?

Nope

Switzerland

Make people feel the same emotions we feel when making music

No

What are your pastimes?

I am looking for feedback, critique, review for our songs - what about the arrangement, what about the mix? Do you like it? What can be improved?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Noob

Hi! Love this topic, cool to get to know a little bit about everyone! Here's my answers:

Yes to both. 

What instruments?

Guitar and keyboard

About 10 years ago.

Did you teach yourself?

Yup

No, but I have some regular people that I play and write songs with in some informal groups. 

3. Do you write songs?

I try. 

Both

Yes

Just getting started with home recording. 

None

6. Are you a tech head?

No

USA

Music-wise, just to be able to express myself and connect with people more through music. 

I write stories and non-fiction essays. 

What are your pastimes?

Rock climbing, skiing, hiking, canyoneering, various adventuring.

To improve my songwriting and lyrics and have a chance to give and receive feedback. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

I've been searching for a forum to help with songwriting that isn't defunct or not working properly! 

I've been writing my own songs for a little over a year and a half now and would really like some honest feedback for lyrics and melody.  My wife has been my primary critic and I'm hoping that someone here will be a little less harsh.....lol.   I love writing songs and wish life hadn't gotten in the way to interrupt music, but on the other hand, it provides me with a lot of material.  So cheers all...I hope to get to know you folks better.

What instruments?  Acoustic guitar  (her name is Gracie)

When did you start playing?  1979 - 83  then 2014 - present

Did you teach yourself? mostly

2. Are you in a band or bands?  No

What do you play?

3. Do you write songs?  yes

Do you write lyrics, music or both?  both

Do you have a writing partner?  no

4. Do you record your music?  yes

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use?  a computer with Audigy software and a Yeti microphone

Do you use a recording studio?  no

Do you have music available on the web? if so where?  no

5. What other roles do you perform in the music business?  None

6. Are you a tech head?  ehhh....depends....software maybe.

7. What country do you live in?  USA

8. What are your ambitions?  to write 10,000 songs

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit?  short stories and essays

What are your pastimes?  songwriting, music, surfing, fishing, traditional archery

10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff?  tips, feedback, networking, and conversation with people who get it.

• Like 2