Your Ad Could Be Here

Getting To Know You

Welcome my friend! 

• Noob
On 8/1/2009 at 6:45 AM, john said:

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments?

I started playing melodies on piano at two and a half years old, guitar at five or six, violin at eight. But I can play basically any instrument I can get a hand on (not saxophones and the like, they give me itchy lips) so any instrument around I can play at least a bit on if you give me five minutes. I have a ukulele as well, a (cheap) karimba, harmonica, melodica. The issue is not having money to buy the instruments I want xD I will buy a cello one day. One day...

2. Are you in a band or bands?

I wish! I don't know any musicians :(

3. Do you write songs?

All the time, since I was a child. I started writing lyrics three years ago when I started singing.

4. Do you record your music?

Yup! I use Ableton mostly. I used Audacity before I started working with MIDI. I have a decent mic, MIDI keyboard and an old Profire, it works for me.

I do have music on the web, it's spread all over the place though.

Ehm here's one I made recently for fun:

Oh crap I didn't know it would expand in the post like that. I hope thats ok O.O

5. What other roles do you perform in the music business?

I'm a lone wolf sadly.

On 8/1/2009 at 6:45 AM, john said:

6. Are you a tech head?

Yes. Not sure what that means but I'm a gamergirl. I'm well above average in handling computers at least. But I accidentally splitted the quote on my phone into two and don't know how to fix it so maybe not...

7. What country do you live in?

Sweden. Wet, cold, dark Sweden. May the winter be over soon, take away this rain and gloom.

8. What are your ambitions?

I'd love to make music that people can relate to. I don't care about money or fame, I just want to make music people actually get to hear and enjoy. That's enough for me.

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit?

Yes, all of it except dance ("I won't dance, don't ask me" - Frank Sinatra)

10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff?

I want to talk to more musicians! There are no musicians around me. It's like being a painter surrounded by colorblind people, please save me from the uncaring masses!

• Like 1

Welcome :) You certainly sound like a very talented and interesting person 

• 5 weeks later...

I sing and play the piano, cello, drums, and tenor guitar

I’ve been singing and drumming my whole life, I started playing piano when I was 8 in 2014(yes I’m young) and started cello a few months later. Tenor guitar I’ve been playing for about a year(since late fall 2016)

Singing and drumming I taught myself, the others I have lessons

Yes

Unicorn Bones

I do main vocals and keyboard

My little sister on drums and my big sister on harmony and electric bass

Yes

Both

Nope! My band is a cover band, so when I write songs, I write them on my own

Yes

I just use GarageBand, and none of my music is published yet

N/A

Nope

I live in the USA

I want to become a published author, make movies based on my books, and write the soundtracks for those movies! I have unrealistic ambitions

Yes

I write fantasy, sci-if, and romance books, I dance ballet, and I love to draw and animate

I just kind of want a place to bounce things off of and get to know people who like the same things I do

😊

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2009 at 12:45 AM, john said:

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments?:hiya:

I sing and I'm learning the guitar, I started learning the guitar last year and yes I'm teaching myself :pianoplay3:

Nope

3. Do you write songs?

I write lyrics and sometimes i help or get help from my best friend :whistle:

Nope

Songwriter :imu2:

6. Are you a tech head?

No I'm not, but I'm slowly becoming one because of my brother 

Trinidad and Tobago :boat:

To become a great singer/songwriter/musician [smiley=vocals.gif] 

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit?

I draw, paint, write stories and poems and i :dancingstick: dance :dancingstick: competitively

What are your pastimes?

ANIME!!!!![smiley=heartpump.gif] , BTS[smiley=hearts.gif],  KOREAN DRAMA:001_icon16:, and read

Meeting other musicians and songwriters :hiya:

I think that covers the main musical things!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2009 at 11:45 PM, john said:

Hey

thought this might be an interesting exercise:

What instruments? I play bass, piano,drums,and guitar

When did you start playing? Age 6

Did you teach yourself? Yes 

What is the name of the band? Frog Grass Music.FGM.  It's a funny story how we got that name. 

What do you play? -----I play guitar

What other instruments are in the band? -----Right now it's just me and the singer. We are looking to expand fairly soon. 

Do you have a band website? ----Yes, it is pending at the moment. 

3. Do you write songs?

Do you write lyrics, music or both? -----Write both 

Do you have a writing partner? ----Yes, his name is JD. 

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use?--- Yes, I use pro-tools and other various equipment. 

Do you use a recording studio? Yes. 

Do you have music available on the web? if so where? We are working on it. Just got a single back from LA. 

Management? Label owner? Publishing? Promotion? Other? ----I perform promotional work. 

6. Are you a tech head? Yes

7. What country do you live in? United States 

8. What are your ambitions? Just make people enjoy what we present as musicians. 

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit? No

What are your pastimes? Spend time with my family and play sports. 

I do it cuz I love to do it. Id like to get feedback on materials we work on. 

I think that covers the main musical things!

• Like 2

• Noob

Hello) My name is Vitalina. I am actress, singer. Live in Russia. I started writing songs lately, so that is why I am here.

What instruments?

I sing, play the piano & guitar 

When did you start playing?

I use my voice as main instrument since I was a child.

I play the piano more that 10 years, and now started to take guitar lessons.

Did you teach yourself?

2. Are you in a band or bands? No, I'm not.

I am on my way to this dream. I wanna become a good musician, be heard and understood. To find simplicity for my crazy mind. 

3. Do you write songs? Yes

Do you write lyrics, music or both? Both

Do you have a writing partner? No

4. Do you record your music? No

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use? No

Do you use a recording studio? Yes

Do you have music available on the web? if so where? no

Management? Label owner? Publishing? Promotion? Other? Actress, singer

6. Are you a tech head? No

7. What country do you live in? Russia, Moscow. 

8. What are your ambitions? Be a good artist and songwriter/ 

well, my field is tightly connected with musical theatre, music

What are your pastimes?

watching movies, read books, Ted talks

- meet new people who love music not only as a listener, but a creator/ find a supervisor

- get a honest feedback on the lyric side of songwriting (cause I am not a native speaker...that`s a crazy adventure for me)

- find new collaborations to create new stuff

•  
  • Like 1

Hello, I'm new here and was referred by someone and also had a long convo with John, Thanks :)

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments? Yes

What instruments? Guitar, synthesizer, keyboard, can play bass, but don't have one these days.

When did you start playing? guitar 1992 / electronic music 1998

Did you teach yourself? Guitar 7 months every 2 weeks guitar lessons, then taught myself. Self-taught keyboardist.

2. Are you in a band or bands? No

What is the name of the band? --

What do you play? --

What other instruments are in the band? --

Do you have a band website? -- http://synthoelectro.com

Do you write lyrics, music or both? Lyrics and music

Do you have a writing partner? No

4. Do you record your music? Yes

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use? -- Yes, ableton live 10, samplitude, sequoia, iZotope RX all digital DAW, VSTs etc.

Do you use a recording studio? -- No

Do you have music available on the web? if so where? -- Yes, please check mainly here. https://synthoelectro.bandcamp.com

5. What other roles do you perform in the music business? Online net-label record label owner WEATNU Records SynthoElectro Records (personal label)

6. Are you a tech head? Yes I think? Mixing and mastering, video editing and composing, audio restoration

7. What country do you live in? United States of America

8. What are your ambitions? To help other musicians be heard, through WEATNU Records and to get my music noticed as well.

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit? Yes from time to time, I create videos to my music, and use those things as a base to create album art.

What are your pastimes? Music, RPG, gaming, D&D, dreaming and thinking.

10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff? Knowledge is great, friends are better, let's go for both :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Noob

What instruments? Guitar, bass and starting to learn the fiddle :)

When did you start playing? Guitar and bass - 16, fiddle - 40

Did you teach yourself?  Yes for many years then did up to grade 5 on guitar.

What is the name of the band? Missing Person

What do you play? Guitar

What other instruments are in the band? Bass, keys, drums, vocal

Do you have a band website? http://www.missingpersonband.co.uk/

3. Do you write songs?

Do you write lyrics, music or both? Both, this is the main reason I was interested in the forum, I would like a few more people to hear them, comment.

Do you have a writing partner? No but would like one that could sing my stuff better than I can, hehe. 

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use?  Just on my mobile phone although I have used packages in the past.  I've had a go a Cubase, Audacity, and some others.

Do you use a recording studio? No

Do you have music available on the web? if so where? Yes, I upload quite a few songs to YouTube but it's just me and my guitar.  They are there mainly so I have a quick way of watching back and remembering the songs, chords, etc.  They are also there if anyone wants to watch and possibly cover / expand / improve on to see what they can do with them.  I'm really flexible in other people's suggestions and welcome them.  I just like making music.

Management? Label owner? Publishing? Promotion? Other?  Nothing like that.

6. Are you a tech head?  No not at all, I prefer to write lyrics and try and come up with melodies.  I like to leave the tech stuff to someone else.

7. What country do you live in?  UK (Manchester to be precise)

8. What are your ambitions? Well my ambitions are modest.  I have no interest in money but instead the creative process itself.  If 10 people said to me 'I like that song' and one said 'can I cover it?' I would be over the moon.  I'm absolutely not interested in fame in the slightest.  I do this out of pure pleasure.

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit?  I draw and have done a few little paintings but nothing major.

What are your pastimes?  I spend a lot of time with my family and in the garden drinking beer / wine.  My main pastime is music though, listening and attempting song writing.  

10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff?  For one person to say 'I wouldn't mind having a go at one of your songs' and performing it or collaborating with me in some way.  That's it.

Much love,

Julian 

• Like 1

• Noob
9 minutes ago, Julian Homer said:

What instruments? Guitar, bass and starting to learn the fiddle :)

When did you start playing? Guitar and bass - 16, fiddle - 40

Did you teach yourself?  Yes for many years then did up to grade 5 on guitar.

What is the name of the band? Missing Person

What do you play? Guitar

What other instruments are in the band? Bass, keys, drums, vocal

Do you have a band website? http://www.missingpersonband.co.uk/

3. Do you write songs?

Do you write lyrics, music or both? Both, this is the main reason I was interested in the forum, I would like a few more people to hear them, comment.

Do you have a writing partner? No but would like one that could sing my stuff better than I can, hehe. 

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use?  Just on my mobile phone although I have used packages in the past.  I've had a go a Cubase, Audacity, and some others.

Do you use a recording studio? No

Do you have music available on the web? if so where? Yes, I upload quite a few songs to YouTube but it's just me and my guitar.  They are there mainly so I have a quick way of watching back and remembering the songs, chords, etc.  They are also there if anyone wants to watch and possibly cover / expand / improve on to see what they can do with them.  I'm really flexible in other people's suggestions and welcome them.  I just like making music.

Management? Label owner? Publishing? Promotion? Other?  Nothing like that.

6. Are you a tech head?  No not at all, I prefer to write lyrics and try and come up with melodies.  I like to leave the tech stuff to someone else.

7. What country do you live in?  UK (Manchester to be precise)

8. What are your ambitions? Well my ambitions are modest.  I have no interest in money but instead the creative process itself.  If 10 people said to me 'I like that song' and one said 'can I cover it?' I would be over the moon.  I'm absolutely not interested in fame in the slightest.  I do this out of pure pleasure.

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit?  I draw and have done a few little paintings but nothing major.

What are your pastimes?  I spend a lot of time with my family and in the garden drinking beer / wine.  My main pastime is music though, listening and attempting song writing.  

10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff?  For one person to say 'I wouldn't mind having a go at one of your songs' and performing it or collaborating with me in some way.  That's it.

Much love,

Julian 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I sing and play guitar (Acoustic & Electric), ukulele, piano, and little hand percussion

11 years ago

Mostly self taught, with the help of my family who jumpstarted things.

No active bands currently

3. Do you write songs?

Yes I love writing both interesting lyrics and melodies.

no writing partner

Yes I record in a home studio

No

Yes, I have released an Acoustic live EP called "Wooden Blueprints, Vol. 1"

Stream on Soundcloud here >>https://bit.ly/2rBd4zw<<

Download on Noisetrade here >>https://bit.ly/2ry7Y7q<<

No other roles, I am working towards developing skills like music management, promotion, marketing, cover art design, etc.

USA

Make a full length high production album.  Make it as a full time musician.

Writing lyrics is my past time

Critiques and a platform to showcase and share my music!

• Like 1

Guitar, some keyboard and blues harp/harmonica, I was also singer in my own band.

Not anymore but was in a few. Got a deal with a band called Slice, which had a bidding war, then the record company messed it up by syphoning off the singer. The very expensive album with top session players - Sting's guitarist, Maria McKee, etc - flopped and he was dropped, which did wonders for my rep locally. I had another band called Solid Gone with a mate who was on MCA with a band called Walk On Fire - the hair! - and sang the lead part on Jeff Wayne's Spartacus album. That band drifted apart when he went off to do the promo for Spartacus, which also flopped. Maybe I'm a jinx. We kept writing together anyway, because it was what we did. I also had a covers band called the Gods of Glam, which lasted longer than any of them and made more money. And that's where my avatar and username come from - my stage name was M.C. Glammer.

3. Do you write songs?

I used to do lyrics and music, sometimes alone, sometimes with my songwriting partner. We haven't done anything for a while though.

I started with two cassette machines and their built-in mics, then had a B77 Revox sound-on-sound tape recorder, bouncing from track to track. Moved through the 80s with Fostex 4 and 8-tx, then became a partner in a 16-tx business in the 90s. 

Now I make mashups, which are on my Youtube or Dailymotion channels.

Did a lot of engineering, with a few production credits.

6. Are you a tech head?

I used to be but I got over it. I call myself a state-of-the-art Luddite. I think it can get in the way sometimes and you lose sight of why people who aren't musicians like music. I still use the software I was using in 2003 for my mashups. 

Scotland.

I had an ambition to get a deal before I was 30. The Slice deal was signed on my 30th birthday, so I can die happy.

I used to be an animator, super-8 and then 3D CGI. I still dabble in graphics.

I hope my experience can help in any small way and hear some music that deserves to be heard.

Edited by Glammerocity
  • Like 1

Welcome guys!!

I seem to drift in and out of here off and on. I don't often come in here to read all the posts. Glad i seen these posts.

Nice to read your stories...or at least the parts posted here. Interesting tune Julian. Keep at it !  True talent doesn't need much. This is a good example of that.

• Noob

Here you go...

I play guitar, keyboards, bass and drums. 

I play in several bands and at church every Sunday.

Logan At Sea

https://www.facebook.com/loganatsea/

This is our new originals band where I play keys, guitar and bass in the studio. Influences include Journey, Def Leppard, Depeche Mode, REM.

Drivewire Arena Rock

http://facebook.com/drivewireband

Mostly keyboards, but some electric guitar. Other instruments in the band include lead guitar, bass and drums. We play songs from Journey, Boston, Styx, Kansas, Foreigner, Toto, Loverboy...

3. Do you write songs?

I write and compose music and don't have a writing partner, but am interested in collaborating.

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use?

I have an old Tascam and am looking at upgrading my home studio gear.

Do you use a recording studio?

Yes.

Do you have music available on the web? if so where?

I have music on Soundcloud, but they;re all marked private for now until I get a better understanding of copywriting. 

Management? Label owner? Publishing? Promotion? Other? None.

6. Are you a tech head?

A little...

United States

To make a difference in people's lives with Logan At Sea music. 

Hanging with family, music, baseball, football... 

To connect with others and become the best songwriter I can be.

• Like 1

Yes, I play piano, melodica and guitar.

No

3. Do you write songs?

Yes, they are for sale here: http://www.elainemerch.wordpress.com/ Most are pop/rock cover songs.

Yes, here's my YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/elainemusic369 

Scotland, UK

To record CDs.

Meeting people I can write and collaborate with.

• Like 3

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments? Yes

What instruments? Vocals, Rhythm Guitar, a little Ukulele and Keys

When did you start playing? Singing about age 8. Guitar and Keys in high school. Ukulele about 2 years ago.

Did you teach yourself? Voice: No. Other instruments: Yes for the most part.

2. Are you in a band or bands? Yes

What is the name of the band? Blackwater Jack

What do you play? Front man and Acoustic Guitar

What other instruments are in the band? Guitar, Bass and Drums

Do you have a band website? www.blackwaterjackband.com

Do you write lyrics, music or both? Both

Do you have a writing partner? No, but I have collaborated with lyricists occasionally

4. Do you record your music? Yes

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use? Yes. Windows 10, Cubase Elements 9, Band in a Box 2018, Ignite, a hand full of other VST Instruments, JBL Studio Monitors, Audio Technica large diaphragm condenser Mic.

Do you use a recording studio? My Own

Do you have music available on the web? if so where? Yes. My main website is www.sammycountry.com but you can also find my music on iTunes, Spotify, YouTube, Sound cloud, Musicoin and other major music websites.

5. What other roles do you perform in the music business? I guess music management, booking and promotions but only for my own projects.

6. Are you a tech head? Not really.

7. What country do you live in? USA

8. What are your ambitions? To wrote songs and get them licensed for film and TV.

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit? I have done all of the above except write stories but now as a stay at home dad of two young boys and full time musician I don't have the time.

What are your pastimes? Riding motorcycles and fixing up cars.

10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff? Meet other musically inclined people, listen to their creations, learn new techniques to improve my recordings and possibly collaborate with others.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2009 at 12:45 AM, john said:

What instruments?

I sing and play guitar (I played clarinet, bass clarinet, mellophone and bells in highschool).

When did you start playing?

I started playing guitar when I was 9.

Did you teach yourself?

Yes

Not recently.

What is the name of the band?

What do you play?

What other instruments are in the band?

Do you have a band website?

3. Do you write songs?

Yes

Do you write lyrics, music or both?

Both

Do you have a writing partner?

No

That's the goal (no).

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use?

I WISH

Do you use a recording studio?

Do you have music available on the web? if so where?

No

Management? Label owner? Publishing? Promotion? Other?

6. Are you a tech head?

Definitely not lol.

USA

I'm unable to flesh out the intricate visions I have for my songs (percussion, bass, synths, harmonies, etc).  Being technically

challenged (!) my dream is to acquire user friendly home equipment and learn how to manipulate it.  So I can finally manifest 

the sounds and rhythms plaguing my brain. I am terribly handicapped regarding technology though.

My novel will be finished in 2048 (ha ha).  Art was my first love, my pieces won awards in highschool.  Charcoal, pastels, 

and ink were my media. But haven't created anything in years.

What are your pastimes?

Playing/writing/listening to music, philosophical/metaphysical/spiritual studies (yes I do that for fun), movie and documentary

watching.

I'm ready to meet other musicians and lend a friendly ear, to ask for critique on my songs when it is time, and to possibly meet

a kindred to collaborate with. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Noob

I consider myself a singer-songwriter, because I'm almost as passionate about singing as I am about songwriting. I play the piano fairly well and like to accompany myself with it, and I also play the guitar (and a little bit of uke) not nearly as well. I've been playing piano since I was around 8. I got into singing through an amazing elementary school choir when I was 10 (though I've always liked singing), and I started playing the guitar when I went to college as a replacement for piano. I was also in the band in high school (clarinet, oboe, alto clarinet, alto saxophone), but I don't play those instruments anymore. I've taken lessons in piano and a few in voice, and classes in guitar, though I started guitar by teaching myself.

Nope.

3. Do you write songs?

I write the lyrics and the melody, and for many of my songs I have basic accompaniments that I've written on guitar or piano, either as part of the songwriting process or added on later. I don't have a writing partner.

Not in any systematic way. I've done some home recording using someone else's equipment, but it's been a few years. I don't have anything online, except I guess one song on SoundCloud that I had to post once for a class.

I can't say I'm really in the business right now at all! It's more of a hobby I might be interesting in one day doing something with.

6. Are you a tech head?

Not at all! I'm terrible with technology.

United States of America

To be able to share my music with the people that will benefit most from hearing it. I want to inspire people with it, whether that means the world at large or just my own family.

I write, mostly speculative fiction/fantasy but some memoir. I love dancing, mostly creative dance, though I haven't done it for years. I'm currently in college, so I don't have a lot of free time, but when I do I like to hike, explore nature, be out in the grass and the sun.

Song critique is a big thing. I'm finally at a point in my craft, after many years of feeling fragile, that I feel confident enough to ask for advice.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Noob

Hi guys, new here. Ive been making music for a while now, and finally to get in community and share my stuff.

I play some guitar, but mostly just to write riffs and quick chord progressions. I'm not in a band but i write and produce my own electronic/video game music/ a variety of genres. check it out: hando.bandcamp.com

I do write my own music and produce it on the computer. Honestly I do it all for myself, I create music specifically for me to enjoy and my own tastes, I have tons of ideas and love seeing them come to life.

my other creative things are my graphic design and programming. I been trying to make games since i was a kid. I love starting new projects and seeing things work. but mostly never finish anything. I love doing pixel art and drawing sprites and graphics for my games.

• Like 2