Your Ad Could Be Here

How To Stop My Fingers From Hurting

Shane

i've been playing acoustic for around 3years now, i play close to every day for at minimum 15minutes and obvious have callous built up, but still my fingers hurt when trying to learn new songs etc i guess because i'm trying harder and doing it for longer. Is there any little tips that are useful for stopping this?

Is the pain in your finger tips?

The first thing that springs to mind is to get used to playing longer. Much like running you need to build up stamina. It's good that you practice every day, but 15 minutes a day really isn't very long... it takes more than thin callouses to deaden the nerve endings. It took ages for pain to subside for me, and I was practicing several hours a day. At 15 minutes your fingers would be just beginning to warm up!

I have heard that rubbing alcohol helps growth of callouses (don't play immediately after applying) and Witch Hazel is good for reducing inflammation

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing hardcore for a year - I mean like a lot of hours. My fingers still hurt all the time, but it's usually when I play longer, like more than 2-3 hours at a time. Plus it gets worse if I don't play for a while and then come back to it. Acoustic guitars with metal strings also are more painful than my electric guitar. And it's not just fingers, it works with all the hurtful places on different techniques, you really just have to practice every technique all the time for the pain to subside.

How do I deal with it? I just ignore it until it hurts so much that I can't play anymore. Music requires sacrifice I guess.

Edited by Loonatic

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw on one of the NAMM threads at HCFX that theres some new product coming out that you can put on your fingers... I know people have used superglue in the past to fake calluses, but apparently this product does a waaaay better job... I'll try and find the link and edit it here if I can.

1. A better guitar with lower action might help (I have no idea what you're currently playing). Even a lower priced guitar will benefit from a professional set up.

2. Drop your tuning a step to D. The strings will feel a little softer. Just capo on the 2nd fret to get back to E. I routinely keep my guitars tuned to D.

• 4 weeks later...

I am finding new ways to hold chords due to advancing arthritis in my thumbs. Its ok for a couple of songs, but I cant play 2 sets without pain.

Sore fingers are no big deal, nothing to worry about. Bear with it.  

• 2 weeks later...

i've been playing acoustic for around 3years now, i play close to every day for at minimum 15minutes and obvious have callous built up, but still my fingers hurt when trying to learn new songs etc i guess because i'm trying harder and doing it for longer. Is there any little tips that are useful for stopping this?

Which kind of music you like it seems you are Rock music lover and you are playing guitar so aggresively  :guitar: may be its the reason for finger pain.Have you join any institute for proper guideline ? :smartass:

• 2 weeks later...

sounds like the action of your strings is to high your guitar is basicaly unplayable get some one with expereance to check it out

This was my initial thought.  If you've been playing everyday for that long, it sounds like your guitar needs some work.  Also, what gauge of strings do you use?  If action is good, perhaps your string gauge is too heavy.  Be careful, though, because strings that are too light for a guitar's setup will buzz and sound poor at higher volumes.  Make sure you have your guitar set up for good action.  :-)