Your Ad Could Be Here

Challenge #9 Celeb / Brand Inclusion

There is nothing wrong with some lively banter while we do this. It promotes "friendships" and can and does provide opportunities for deeper feedback regarding each other's work. While we'd never wish to offend or upset, the better we know each other the more engaging and less restrictive out critiques and informal responses can be. Not because we think we can take shortcuts or liberties, but we'll learn more about each other's thought processes, though I must admit, everybody who has ever known me has had problems with that!

• Like 2

Any personal lessons learned regarding brands? I think sharing such insights could be a valuable way to gain perspectives.

While we have obviously used different brands, even on occasion the same brands, we all seem to be aware of "brand power". While it came as surprise to me that some songwriters get endorsements to use a particular brand in a song, like sporting equipment/apparel, fragrances, skin care etc, it's the cream (no pun intended) of the crop that may receive such endorsements. That the band who's guitars were broken by an airline received a couple of guitars from the brand they were singing about, the old adage of "there is no such thing as bad publicity" comes to mind as they extensively named the airline that did them wrong. Have any listeners chosen not to use that airline? Who knows.?

K

There is nothing wrong with some lively banter while we do this. It promotes "friendships" and can and does provide opportunities for deeper feedback regarding each other's work. While we'd never wish to offend or upset, the better we know each other the more engaging and less restrictive out critiques and informal responses can be. Not because we think we can take shortcuts or liberties, but we'll learn more about each other's thought processes, though I must admit, everybody who has ever known me has had problems with that!

I wasn't complaining, I was trying to say, how light hearted and fun the board was becoming, instead formal and serious. If you read my post, I added the statement, how hilarious, the posts were. Humor always has away to break the ice, so people are more responsive to one another. Relaxes people's defenses, so they can participate and enjoy one another more.

Goldy :jumping13:  :jumping25:  :jumping38:  :luxhello:  :lol2:  :imu2:  :heartpump:  

• Like 1

Sorry Goldy,

that was meant for John. I should have addressed it. He was the meany getting us back onto topic. My apologies if I have upset you, not intentional, I assure you.

Kel

You are all good with me Goldy! I never even thought you were complaining.

My comment was just a way of saying that there was no malice involved.

Sorry if it came across differently.

Tried smoking my latest song but it was all about old boots, tasted horrible and set the smoke alarm off!

Kel has a point and I hope we are all becoming friends! I have a mate in Brisbane and when I get around to going there I hope I can meet Kel, regardless of his fearsome reputation.

Les

Not sure if you mean this Kel, I don't believe "fearsome" accurately describes my reputation. LOL

K

Edited by Kel

I once welcomed planeloads of Kiwis arriving into Australia, and I would say, "Have no fear people, there are two kinds of people in this world, and you'll be meeting both of them. Those who are Aussies, and those who wish they were!"

I met mixed receptions, I have no idea why?

Kel

Any personal lessons learned regarding brands? I think sharing such insights could be a valuable way to gain perspectives.

Yep. My son & his peer group were brand zealots. He has mostly grown out of that now.

Brand snobbery is about positioning yourself in your peer group.

A once worried that I was falling prey to this myself when I started to find Leica cameras very appealing. I worried for nothing. Its as well to be aware of this stuff though.

Lol

I wasn't complaining, I was trying to say, how light hearted and fun the board was becoming, instead formal and serious. If you read my post, I added the statement, how hilarious, the posts were. Humor always has away to break the ice, so people are more responsive to one another. Relaxes people's defenses, so they can participate and enjoy one another more.

Goldy :jumping13::jumping25::jumping38::luxhello::lol2::imu2::heartpump:

Good to know. I did think you were complaining, but that was before you edited it and added your "hilarious" line to the post or the last line in the paragraph before. These things happen and no offence was intended or taken. :)

There, glad we got that cleared up. :)

I have absolutely nothing against humour or going off-topic, but there can come a point where the original purpose of the discussion is lost completely or so buried it may as well be. On such occasions it is only right that someone yells BTT just as a reminder that an underlying topic exists. That does not mean banter has to stop, tis just a prod that some related discussion is needed.

Exactly how far off topic to let things wander is an Inexact science. To let forum topics just grow is kind of similar to doing the same with your garden. seems like a great idea until you go back at a later point to find something and realise it's an overgrown mess. I've seen forums like that but not many and for good reason. I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass, or drawing some strict "thou shalt not have fun" guidelines (said in a boomy voice from the clouds), just doing some gentle gardening.

As you can tell, maybe, from my own posts, I do like including humour, semi- related nuggets of info and sometimes abstract weirdness, but I am also aware that I can get carried away too and that sometimes I need to lock "fun John" back in the shed (honestly he keeps me up all hours chattering). As it stands he only gets to post on special occasions.

• Like 1

...sometimes I need to lock "fun John" back in the shed (honestly he keeps me up all hours chattering). As it stands he only gets to post on special occasions.

We'll just need to present him with more opportunities!

K

We'll just need to present him with more opportunities!

K

Here here! I agree Kel, let's give "fun John" more opportunites. I have a sneaky suspicion that "fun John" can keep us on topic just as well as "the other"? John. "serious John?" "intellectual snobby John?" "studious John?" ah well, back on topic I hope that this week's challenge has taught us some things. I for one have seen how to overdo brand names in a song, keep an audience wondering who I am writing about, and most importantly that brands might pay to have their names in MY Lyrics! What an awesomely smart and fun week! thank you all!

Lisa

Intellectual snobby John? Sheesh lol is more like "site admin/moderator/policeman/diplomat John". To keep things steady you get used to pushing personal opinions back and thinking site-wise. I don't even get much time to perform critiques these days lol I am working 7 days a week, about 14-18 hour days, trying to get 2 projects off the ground plus running Songstuff, so relaxing down time is not something that currently comes naturally. I'm not complaining, is just the way it is just now. It will be that way for some time to come. Who knows, one day I might get time to get back to my own music lol the sooner the better! I have a few writing opportunities I need to take advantage of and to do that I need to spend some time recording! Opportunities (not writing in particular) are like waiting for a bus. You wait ages and nothing then a bunch come along at once. Aargh! Lol suddenly there just aren't enough hours in the day.

A good response to this week's challenge I thought. Next week's should see a change in style and result for most of you in what can be quite an eye opening challenge.... I'll post it up on Saturday. :)

Intellectual snobby John? Sheesh lol is more like "site admin/moderator/policeman/diplomat John". To keep things steady you get used to pushing personal opinions back and thinking site-wise. I don't even get much time to perform critiques these days lol I am working 7 days a week, about 14-18 hour days, trying to get 2 projects off the ground plus running Songstuff, so relaxing down time is not something that currently comes naturally. I'm not complaining, is just the way it is just now. It will be that way for some time to come. Who knows, one day I might get time to get back to my own music lol the sooner the better! I have a few writing opportunities I need to take advantage of and to do that I need to spend some time recording! Opportunities (not writing in particular) are like waiting for a bus. You wait ages and nothing then a bunch come along at once. Aargh! Lol suddenly there just aren't enough hours in the day.

A good response to this week's challenge I thought. Next week's should see a change in style and result for most of you in what can be quite an eye opening challenge.... I'll post it up on Saturday. :)

John,

Yes, your alter ego name is

site admin/moderator/policeman/diplomat John

for sure! I always notice when you are on line here on SS at all hours of the night! LOL

I wish you lots of time to work on your music!!!!!!

Can't wait to see what you come up with for next week. Sounds inticing. You are such an inpiration to me! Thank you for being you and having Songstuff.

:hearts:

Awww thanks Lisa. That means a lot. :)

I have an album waiting to be finished recording, well 20 or so songs, some draft recorded most not, all written just waiting for me to one pick the best 10 or 12, plus another 14 or so that have partial or no lyrics just waiting for me to get time to write them. I love recording and producing, and I enjoy writing while recording the song, it's a good interactive and fluid process suited to certain styles in particular, so I also have a bunch of clip ideas that will evolve into songs in the studio. They will most likely be released under a different artist name as the genre for that is so different. There's two song placements in two TV shows and possibly a song placement in a movie, title music for a TV production to pitch for, and the possibility of writing two songs for two other artists, all just waiting in the wings lol oh and getting source tracks to someone wanting to remix an old track of mine, almost forgot about that. Nothing big but should be interesting. Remixes often are if the remixer is any good. So little time so much to do, and that's just my music LMAO

Awww thanks Lisa. That means a lot. :)

I have an album waiting to be finished recording, well 20 or so songs, some draft recorded most not, all written just waiting for me to one pick the best 10 or 12,

Ok, maybe not true to topic, but true to something, I'm sure... How do YOU pick which 10-12 of YOUR songs YOU think should go on an album?

K

Interesting idea for a challenge skin... present a melody (no accompaniment) and see what we each come up with...

• Like 1

Jump a red one No.69

Sorry i could not resist! lol

Thanks for your time John, appreciated and good luck with your venture's.

Skin

Thanks Skin. :) your appreciation is appreciated lol

Ok, maybe not true to topic, but true to something, I'm sure... How do YOU pick which 10-12 of YOUR songs YOU think should go on an album?

K

How long is a piece of string? It kinda depends on what is driving the creation of the album. In this case I still work within the constructs of an album. Ie it should have balance. I write own important criteria or considerations to act as a prompt, I listen to the final mixes a hell of a lot, I consider what works well together, in balance, in opposition etc. I also play hat I consider to be close to the selection and running order to several people and get their feedback. It can be interesting playing an album to a group of people you can observe without taking part to see what ones get a reaction, is there toe tapping etc, how energetic, how animated etc do they appear to be listening? Even better when you can sit and talk to them about it after the fact. Usually best with 3 tracks max.

Lastly, I only do selection after a break from recording. A big part ones down to the raw "do I like it, if so how much?" That usually gives you a decent short list. There are those that really make the grade, those that don't and a bunch in the middle. Next doing the running order usually gets you there or there abouts I terms of tracks. Tracks not used can spill onto other purposes, be pitched at other performers, kept for the next album or reworked.

Do you think he would be up for it? I know I am.

I think we need a vote!

Skin

Perhaps we could try it with one. Not right away as that requires me to record the melody in some form, perhaps the chords too. It would probably be a webcam recording or similar as my studio set up is partly taken apart just now as i change which computer and sound cards are at the heart of the set up, and time is very short. I would also want to consider which melody to do this with. Some I already have definite ideas for, so it would likely be one that I don't overly have any great lyrical ideas waiting for. Leave it with me and I will have a think. Don't expect it anytime soon, if I get to it, I get to it. :)

Perhaps we could try it with one. Not right away as that requires me to record the melody in some form, perhaps the chords too. It would probably be a webcam recording or similar as my studio set up is partly taken apart just now as i change which computer and sound cards are at the heart of the set up, and time is very short. I would also want to consider which melody to do this with. Some I already have definite ideas for, so it would likely be one that I don't overly have any great lyrical ideas waiting for. Leave it with me and I will have a think. Don't expect it anytime soon, if I get to it, I get to it. :)

Wellll, we understand. But it would be a fun challenge for sure. Good idea Skin!

Edited by lguzda