Your Ad Could Be Here

why aren't i writing?

ok i was speaking to my friend about my poetry and i reolised that i haven't writen a song for like a month, i have only been writing poetry

does anyone know why?

peace

kriss

well im in tha same situation as u....... i dont realy know why....... but i try not to think about it much......and i dont try to forse it.... i just really take what comes out......... sorry that i cant really help u.....

*~peace and love~*

Hey Kriss

Hmmm. There can be many reasons. I guess sometimes we know that the kind of things we write about are either so personal that we don't want to perform them or that we really fear that people will just not relate to them. Sometimes the apparently free and flexible rules of poetrry writing lend themselves more to the emotions we are trying to express, than the more rigid forms you tend to find in much contemporary music.

I've had similar phases, but they pass. Quite often a much more diluted song or two will emerge from a poetry phase. It's a good thing. It lets you experiment far more, with less rules to contraion you. When I have found my lyrics a bit stale and samey, writing poems for a while is a good way to kick start my creativity in a more adventurous way.

I would say that if you find yourself expressing a lot of dark thoughts it can be difficult to write something more positive without it being cheezy. That could just be me though I doubt it ! :) Still it is definately worth trying to write something positive to help give you balance and keep your perspective fresh. So for example, where you write a love song was is sad, try writing another one that celebrates the joy of love to balance it.

Cheers

John

Still Writing poetry? I've never had a partial block before.

Everyone gets writer's block occasionally, my last one lasted at least 6 months. Amanda's right, don't force it, it only makes for crap which enforces the block, just relax, you'll come out the other side, probably with a real gem, I promise.

Peace,

John Nightwolf

Have you got your antennae up?

That is, do you have enough time and space to be sensitive to influence and inspiration?

If you haven't, worry about making the time or relaxing enough to let inspiration in, because you're not blocked.

If you have, then wait for the block to pass. A month is not long.

to be fair i have too much free time atm, i spend lots of time just thinkin and writin loads, i dont ming much that i dont write as much music because i think i am a better poet, but thats just me

peace

kriss :P

• 2 months later...

please what ever you do dont force a song, theres nothing worse in my opinion than some one whose obviously tried so much to get a song lyric out that it turns out to be pretty poor.

just wait, i find often a break form writing anything at all helps because when i go back to it i tend to have new perspectives on things, such as just recently i started experimenting more with bluse styles after a break from more poetic/melancholy styles of writing and i personally think ive grown as a songwriter for doing so

Good point, maybe just "Growing Pains", there you go the next title of your next Poem/Lyric. [smiley=bounce.gif]

Sometimes it may be down to what I call my poetic focal-length. There are always things going on that inspire me to write, but at times I'm too near or too far away from it for the poetic image to emerge. Once the subject is within a certain range of thought I can then write easily. But different subjects can require different focal lengths, like adjusting a camera lens to get something in focus. ;)

Edited by johnthebank

• 2 months later...
yeah i had a writers block bad for this past 7 months....but as H would say...I'm BAK! good to see you all and nice to meet the new people i don't know <3 Kate

Hey Kate

Welcome back! Where ya been?

I hope you like the changes, though there are some more on the way. Expect the board to be down some of the time over the next few days... we're moving server!