Your Ad Could Be Here

Pop rarely innovates

Just picking on a previous comment...

I wonder if the fact that most modern pop music is so bland and predictable

is really the fault of the musicians / producers involved or the labels

themselves?

I think it's rare that quirky or developmental artists are given any major label backing

nowadays.

So many innovative artists that would have been a good bet for a record

deal even 15 years ago are now confined to self-promotion and poverty.

And alcohol abuse :rolleyes.gif

BS

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend here in spain that is a well known "main stream" producer, and he told me once that no matter what he or the artist wants, the final word comes from the labels fat men, being them all very ignorant about music as an "art".

Zappa also said that whenever he spoke to a music business guy he refered to songs as "product", and always had to tell them which kind of audience that "product" was intended for...

so what I understand from that is that the main problem is the music industry itself.

I have a friend here in spain that is a well known "main stream" producer, and he told me once that no matter what he or the artist wants, the final word comes from the labels fat men, being them all very ignorant about music as an "art".

Zappa also said that whenever he spoke to a music business guy he refered to songs as "product", and always had to tell them which kind of audience that "product" was intended for...

so what I understand from that is that the main problem is the music industry itself.

It certainly is... When you look at other fields of innovation, and even at music producers and artists, there is no doubt that the pool of talent and skill out there is massive, however, there is one overriding factor that drives album production and promotion and decides whether you're product sells or not. Funding. Without that, you've got no chance no matter how innovative your work is. No Bucks, No Buck Rogers...

It's the fault of the brainless people who pay for crap, money men follow the money

It's the fault of the brainless people who pay for crap, money men follow the money

There's definitely a lot of truth in that... Although as the Jam said, "The puiblic wants what the public gets."

If people did start refusing to buy banal over produced tosh, the multinational labels would have to change their approach...

nailed it. money moves everything in this world right now...

Spot on.

Spot on.

Yeah can't disagree with that.

But it goes further - it's only guaranteed short term profit that the music industry

seeks now.

It's rarely that case that, from a financial viewpoint, a monied label will "invest" in

an artist with a view to developing them, nurturing them, and over time

turn in the megabux album sales and profits. Low risk is the name of the game.

So gone are the days of "small" bands appearing on EMI or Sony.

But there's hope!

If you look at the success of Franz Ferdinand - it took an "indie" label,

Domino, to back one of ( if not ) the biggest album sellers of 2004.

BS

Edited by BongStuff

Yeah can't disagree with that.

But it goes further - it's only guaranteed short term profit that the music industry

seeks now.

Well, when you think about it, what is a record industry mogul going to want, a band like the Spice Girls who he can give a shit deal and then get rid of in due to course and move onto someone else after making a fortune from them with very low (relatively) overheads, or a band like Pink Floyd, who become so huge that they can dictate terms, have a main songwriter who is totally unresponsive to orders and end up having to be paid half a billion pounds?

I know which one I'd sleep easier with if I was an idustry hack producer...

That's why I think the majors will loose out in the end if they are not able to think long term. Technology is at the level where talents (like myself) can do most of the production at home (like myself), get the vocal tracks and mix done in studio - get it mastered, and release and market it over the internet.

So the real question will be: for how long will we need the majors?

That's why I think the majors will loose out in the end if they are not able to think long term. Technology is at the level where talents (like myself) can do most of the production at home (like myself), get the vocal tracks and mix done in studio - get it mastered, and release and market it over the internet.

So the real question will be: for how long will we need the majors?

It's all about shifting units... People like us are by no means unique, there are at least a dozen of us in every town, but how do you get your stuff out ot a wider audience and convince them that they need to buy it... It's s tricky one when you don't have advertising campaigns behind you...

I'd definetly sleep easier with the spice girls

:P

It's all about shifting units... People like us are by no means unique, there are at least a dozen of us in every town, but how do you get your stuff out ot a wider audience and convince them that they need to buy it... It's s tricky one when you don't have advertising campaigns behind you...

These words he speaks are true, we're all humanary stew [smiley=bounce.gif]

I'd definetly sleep easier with the spice girls

:P

As I was perusing, I new someone would say this! ;D

im old enough to remember when artists were `discovered'

but they cut out the legwork now they are designed

Judging by what we've seen over the past few years, there must be a template! ;)

yup, I got kicked out of a band cause I didn't want to adhere to the dress code the band thought the industry was looking for (Dickies)

yup, I got kicked out of a band cause I didn't want to adhere to the dress code the band thought the industry was looking for (Dickies)

Was that what the Chilli Peppers used to wear on their, erm, dicks...? :)

But yeah, surely the music industry is already getting fragmented. As

affordable digital kit and online distribution improves, the old major label

business models won't provide the profit they used to.

BS

im old enough to remember when artists were `discovered'

but they cut out the legwork now they are designed

Yeah but only with big labels.

Look at indies Warp, Ninja Tune, Mute etc...still taking on small artists

and discovering and nurturing talent...

BS