Your Ad Could Be Here

What is your biggest challenge in the realm of making music?

john

Hi

i wondered what your biggest challenge would be? Is it relating to writing a song (Lyrics writing, music writing, combining the two), or recording and producing a song, or perhaps getting a handle on the business side of music? Perhaps it lies with performing, or getting gigs, or maybe it is growing or connecting with fans?

In all honesty, by personal biggest challenge is time!

Cheers

John

Probably that I don't take it that seriously - I think/know a couple of people that know me express a bit of frustration with me over that. I've been in the habit of not picking my guitar up for months on end - not just 1 or 2, sometimes 6 or 9 or.. who knows. This year will probably be the first time in a decade that I've been picking my guitar up and doing something - singing, writing - most days.

• Like 1

Since I am not known in every household, I apparently do not have a handle on many aspects. What I strive for when writing, which recently has not been often, is making something musically to catch and keep the listeners interest, and does not remind them of a song by someone else.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:43 AM, Rudi said:

I dont know. There are lots of them. They are all too close to see which one is the biggest.

It might be motivation. It might be laziness.

Whatever it is, its myself that is lacking.

I'm with you.

5 hours ago, starise said:

I have learned one thing. I can't make music or concentrate in pain. Taking meds only dulls creativity more. Pulled my back out again. Ouch. Until I get this corrected I'm out of the game completely.

Sorry to hear it. One day at a time man.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Editors

For me, the biggest challenge is to be able to make a sustainable living out of music. 

I feel that this challenge indirectly points to the challenges in every aspect of music - building on musical knowledge and technique to keep that creativity fresh, songwriting, producing and all the business aspects of it like releases, marketing, audience growth, building a solid financial model, optimising your costs and so on. As John mentioned, trying to deal with all these also brings the challenge of optimizing your time against things like the work due, goals pending, financial situations, resources available and so on. It's a good learning process especially when you have no one to blame but yourself for the results you reap. 

One thing that I do know is not a challenge is to love the process of doing this. To love music. Honestly, my obsession with music keeps me motivated to delve more deeper into all these "challenges".

:)

On 10/9/2018 at 5:43 PM, john said:

Hi

i wondered what your biggest challenge would be? Is it relating to writing a song (Lyrics writing, music writing, combining the two), or recording and producing a song, or perhaps getting a handle on the business side of music? Perhaps it lies with performing, or getting gigs, or maybe it is growing or connecting with fans?

In all honesty, by personal biggest challenge is time!

Cheers

John

My biggest challenge as a songwriter is finding other musicians in my area that want to play and write music! For a long time it was like I wanted to rely on other people to help me write music and play. Eventually I got so sick of waiting for other people that I went from Drums and learned Bass and then Guitar and now, most recently, I've started learning Piano. This is also what got me into recording and production because I figured if I was going to do all of this, I might as well just one-man-band it! I've learned this isn't always the best approach though because it's best to shoot ideas back and forth with other musicians. I'm starting to connect with some new musicians in my area, though, and I can feel things turning around a bit!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2018 at 2:29 PM, Capo3tanya said:

Had to think about this for a while, let it percolate. I think mine is my timing, and buzzing strings. My timing SUCKS. 

My timing is weak too. 🙂  Do you work with midi at all? I've done a mix of "real" and "virtual" instruments and lately I've been working more with virtual thru midi. It's almost too easy when I can just click quantize and watch everything get lined up to the beat. 👍

My biggest challenge by far is lyrics. My strengths are melodies and hooks, I can come up with a good concept for a song but struggle with where to take it in regards to lyrics. I usually can get the first verse and chorus done, but then I'm not sure where to go for the second verse and bridge. 

Finding the right tempo has been a challenge all my life. Not so much drastic changes in tempo, but I tend to side a tad slower speed wise when Im just figuring out drum machine parts before recording my songs. It takes abit to adjust.

Secondly would be just finishing songs. And that lies more with the lyric writing. You get maybe a verse and chorus or even 2/3rds done and then having to wait for those last couple lines is a hassle. Or knowing what I want to say, but it just doesnt phonically work singing wise.