Your Ad Could Be Here

Songwriting plagiarism problem

https://soundcloud.com/maxmarkeev/rockrasdsadc/s-5m5wG

I am writing this song now. The goal is to make make poppy rock song. Was doing this by scratch.

And now I've just realized that it sounds like song Mantra of Bring me the horzion.

It's not only the main riff it's even the bpm is similar.

Any ideas how could I solve this issue guys?

My thoughts is to get rid of mechanic operator voice sample and redo song structure.

Now it's like INTRO-THEME-VER-BR-CH-BR. I really like Chorus part, It's the same famous riff but there should be vocals(piano part) that fit awesome to me, and it makes this part more unique.

Any advice please. I would really appreciate it

On first listen I wasn't immediately struck by any strong similarity but on listening again - yes - I can hear that stop-start fuzzy guitar riff. Is this really an accident? I've never heard of the band or the song (maybe you have?) and imho the riff is far from being memorable or remarkable (let alone famous!) - the notes are all close together, no great range so there's nothing that sounds inventive in terms of unexpected intervals and certainly nothing novel in the timing between the notes - personally I found it tedious - it's not memorable so I'm amazed you have managed to identify it as something similar to your own music. You made the music so I know it's hard to imagine changing part of it but as a stranger listening to it - it would seem there are a million more interesting riffs that could replace the one that concerns you - what about one with slides, bends and pull-offs? I think the similarity would only be an issue if you garnered millions of listeners or managed to make any money off the back of what the original band might want to argue is their creative work - obviously that's not right or fair. If you're uncomfortable about it not being 100% your own idea because you think, in the back of your mind, you may have been influenced, possibly because you had heard the original track before then yes, I know it's a drag as it could be a challenge to try and change it but you never know - you may feel much happier in yourself about creating a new riff that you are completely comfortable with taking all the credit for. Otherwise, if it's really not going to result in you gaining something unfairly I wouldn't worry about it - see it as a stepping stone and move on in the search to find your own unique sound. I liked your track more TBH (maybe I'm put off by the video) - I'm sure you can build on it and make it even more your own. Personally I listen to very little music that sounds anything like the songs I write ( I listen to droning electronic music, obscure 70's rock,a lot of modern/contemporary jazz) - these days I listen to 1/100th of the music I used to listen when I was wasn't trying to make my own music - that's all I'm really interested in these days. There's nothing wrong with listening to analyse and work out what it is you do or don't like about a band/song/lyrics - you can learn a lot that way - mainly about what "you" like or appreciate and you can then focus on bringing it into your style - I could list dozens of things and probably identify sources where I first formed these ideas, e.g. I like the sound of (and listen out for) 3 or 4 syllable words for singability - listen to the word "effortlessly" in this song by Joe Pernice

On a completely unrelated topic - I hate this type of music video - they are so derivative - a disjointed collection of extreme or provocative images that add up to nothing in terms of a meaningful narrative - it's lazy, un-artistic, unimaginative and pointless - where's the originality and beauty - I positively hate the me, me, me - I'm a tortured soul - narrative - I'm completely sick and bored of that - I dislike the anger and find it immature, impotent and shallow.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally don't hear anything to make me think these are copies.  They may be similar, but man there are tons of song that are similar.  So unless you were using that song to create this one, and knowingly changing it up enough to cover it, you are fine I wouldn't change anything. 

Archived