Your Ad Could Be Here

Windows Vista?

hi, my brother in law has just got a new pc loaded with vista..is anybody bothering to upgrade or get a new pc?

i am in much need of a new pc but i can see loads of cheap xp loaded machines im not sure yet if vista is worth the money

saying that if i had a free choice i would opt for a mac

[smiley=bounce.gif]

Hey Nigel

Not yet. I've a couple of friends who use Vista. It's got some nice features but there seems little in the way of changes from 64-bit XP apart from a couple of flashy things like the swoosh window browser (which I didn't find that good).

I'd love a mac too, but they are very expensive. Especially if I installed the same or similar software that I currently use. They are very nice though.

Cheers

John

• Noob
hi, my brother in law has just got a new pc loaded with vista..is anybody bothering to upgrade or get a new pc?

i am in much need of a new pc but i can see loads of cheap xp loaded machines im not sure yet if vista is worth the money

saying that if i had a free choice i would opt for a mac

I'd love to get a new machine, but don't have the cash right now. If I was, I'd go for a "vista ready" machine, but load XP on it for the first few months. I wouldn't upgrade to Vista until the end of the summer or so - that should be enough time for 1. Microsoft to get a few point releases out and 2. get the software manufacturers caught up enough to have a somewhat stable system under Vista.

Yeah, if money were no object, Mac would be the choice, but I have too much invested on the PC side and I've not had any issues with being on a PC that would cause me to move from the "dark side". ;)

Guest voclizr

Hey Nig;

From what I've been reading about Vista, I would avoid it for now, especially if you use software to make your music!

I mix with Kristal Audio and checking out their forum on the subject, the users are not too pleased with it. My next door neighbor had to replace her computer in February with a Vista Premium machine, and she won't be able to use her (less than a year old) Lexmark printer until May 31, when the drivers will FINALLY be available for it.

I believe you mentioned that you can obtain a new machine with XP installed. I think I'd go with that if I were you. I don't know much about Macs, but at this point I'd say they are probably a better choice than Vista.

Just my $.02.

:) John B.

Edited by voclizr

• 1 month later...

word of advice to all....

STAY AWAY FROM VISTA!!!!!

:P

seriously though. I hate it!!!!!! you cant do anything!!! you go to open IE.... your security settings will not allow you to run Internet Explorer while using aol dialer. ... I override that..

' this program "internet explorer" is trying to run... do you want to allow this?'

click ok.. try to open a site... ' this web browser "internet explorer" is trying to open this site" bla bla bla" do you want to allow this?' click ok

this site cannot be displayed for security reasons :|

so finally I set all the security settings in the internet options down to low or off or whatever and no sooner than I hit apply.. .... big yellow warning box and alarms go off....

YOUR COMPUTER IS AT RISK!!!! CLICK HERE TO FIX THIS PROBLEM.. so I shut down norton. then the whole time online theres a yellow banner above the web pages.. ' the current security settings put your computer at risk, click here to fix this' you can click out of that box, but the second you go to a different page it comes back up! Try to download yahoo messenger.. it sais it cannot open that page... tried it on aol.. same thing.. I had to download opera to be able to download yahoo.

like I said...

STAY AWAY FROM VISTA!!!

• 5 months later...

I guess this is old by now, but I'll just have to make a couple of simple points...

a) I have NEVER managed to 'bluescreen' XP since I started using it...

B) I have made Vista 'bluescreen' multiple times after using it for a total of about 15 minutes...

Nuff said I think! I've heard people saying that Vista is to XP as ME was to '98... i.e. rubbish - wait for 'vista XP' !

Rohan

P.S. I should point out I guess that I'm a Linux user, so am slightly biased towards assuming microsoft are crap, but I do at least concede that XP is usable... :P

• 2 months later...
And surely that was MacOS that died?!?

Also, since my last post I found a list of around 1-2 hundred reasons why people hate and loathe Vista... It was a fun read for me! :) The best bits were all the Microsoft fanboys actually saying they hated it! :o WOO!

Rohan

Yep, that definitely tells a tale. All I'm hearing is that there are all kinds of issues particularly with music production and composition software. I'm definitely sticking with XP Pro (and I am looking at a new machine in the near future) until Microsoft figures out that they need to dump Vista and give us something that works properly.

KAC

I had Vista on my first laptop which I ended up trading for another one with XP. That wasn't the reason for the trade, in case you wonder. There were a few nifty things about it but overall I'm happy with XP and when I had to get an OS disk after my HD failure it was XP I chose to buy. I still miss that old computer though. Sigh.

• 2 weeks later...
seriously though. I hate it!!!!!! you cant do anything!!! you go to open IE.... your security settings will not allow you to run Internet Explorer while using aol dialer. ... I override that..

' this program "internet explorer" is trying to run... do you want to allow this?'

click ok.. try to open a site... ' this web browser "internet explorer" is trying to open this site" bla bla bla" do you want to allow this?' click ok

this site cannot be displayed for security reasons :|

so finally I set all the security settings in the internet options down to low or off or whatever and no sooner than I hit apply.. .... big yellow warning box and alarms go off....

YOUR COMPUTER IS AT RISK!!!! CLICK HERE TO FIX THIS PROBLEM.. so I shut down norton. then the whole time online theres a yellow banner above the web pages.. ' the current security settings put your computer at risk, click here to fix this' you can click out of that box, but the second you go to a different page it comes back up! Try to download yahoo messenger.. it sais it cannot open that page... tried it on aol.. same thing.. I had to download opera to be able to download yahoo.

yep, i have that experience too

i think there's an incompatibility issue between vista and yahoo, because i can't launch LAUNCHcast AND yahoo messenger

i have vista on my toshiba notebook (came as the os when i bought it) and have xp on my pc. when recording using software, i find that my pc with a pentium iv and ram of 256mb is more stable than my notebook with intel dual core and ram of 512mb

i'm not sure what microsoft wants with this os, it more beautiful, but that's the only advantage i've seen so far

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I tell ya... I have met very few people who use computers for either music (which I don't) or graphic design (which I do) who have anything good to say about Windows Vista. I am staying far away from it for right now.

As a city manager, I work in an office environment, and everything is networked. All of the computers in City Hall are networked, operating Windows XP and using generally compatible software. A Vista machine cannot participate in the network. It can't read anything generated by a "lesser" 'puter, and other computers can't open its files. Like the song says (not one of mine), "It's lonely at the top."

We have to replace two of City Hall's computers this year, and when I went shopping, I found nothing available except Windows Vista machines. There is very little software of any kind made for Windows Vista just yet, and the operating system itself is reportedly pretty buggy because of the standard rush-to-market-without-working-all-the-kinks-out that Microsoft has become famous for. My graphic design software, which is old (designed for Windows 98) and expensive, and which I have made work on Windows XP, will not work on Windows Vista; I would have to go pay a lot of money for new, Vista-compliant versions of the same software--oh, but they aren't made yet.

Therefore, I'm buying one computer used and having the other custom built. Both will come with Windows XP. A year from now, when I have to replace one or two more computers, we'll see if anything has changed--whether enough bugs have been worked out of Vista, whether software exists that will work on Vista, and whether the hackers have managed to figure out ways for Vista to read files and use software of "children of a lesser god." If not, I may give up, apply a few new curse words to Bill Gates, and switch everything over to Linux. I've threatened to do that before.

Joe