Your Ad Could Be Here

Do You Love Or Hate Your Voice?

Your voice  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about your singing voice?

• I love my voice!
    • I like my voice, but it could improve
    • I have mixed feelings about my voice
    • I don't like my voice, but it's the voice I've got
    • I hate my voice!

I don't like my voice for the most part. When I was in Witch/Intoxication as the lead guitarist and lead vocalist I considered myself a substitue only until a suitable singer could be found. 10 years later I finally admitted that no one would be able to sing my lyrics the way I wanted them. I liked my voice much better then than I do now, but being the only one around I endeavor to persevere.

Good question!

I don't like my voice very much, but...I love singing, and I'd hate for someone else to be singing my songs.

I think it may come from years of being told to shut up and study by my parents, who aren't at all musically inclined. Now though they changed their tune! (oh goodness, no pun intended...)

Some days I feel like I can't sing at all, and some days I seem to be totally at ease and able to sing almost anything...very bizarre. I wish most of all though that it had a bit more character. It just seems so nothingy.

Hey

I think your voice has lots of character. Sure you need to practice to build up confidence, but hey, so do most singers!

I know you sing, but do you practice singing? On it's own (no guitar)? It really help smooth out any dodgy bits in your voice, and practice builds confidence.

Cheers

John

Hey

It's funny how self-perception and confidence can be so different from the perception others may have of us.

I wonder if at least part of it is that confidence comes with practise. I think I'll start a little poll on that. :)

Cheers

John

Crikey John, that is so true.... !

Even though I have always loved to sing, I absolutely hated my voice.

Back from when I first started to perform in public (mid '70s), despite the fact that others professed to like it, I was deeply unhappy with my sound. Imagine having to live with that - having people tell me I was good, or alright, but on the inside violently disagreeing with their tastes and perceptions because I knew I was crap. And intensely disliking my performances. Nevertheless, with surprising support and encouragement (that I also felt undeserved) from those I admired, I persevered. One personal mentor once offered up the enigmatic observation that "style is limitations of technique" and I pondered it for several years before finally figuring out what he was talking about. Eventually, maybe as recent as a decade or so ago, I began to fully embrace my own technical limitations and own an authentic style that I feel is uniquely my own - even though it may still fall far short of all the wonderful singers I wished I was able to emulate. Now I am much more pragmatically content about things like that and have learned to love my voice however poorly it still objectively compares to my personal mythical standards

The perfect irony, of course, is that back then when I thought I was plagiaristic, unoriginal, derivative and fake, I had gigs and an audience. Nowadays, I can't even get arrested. Serves me right. Ha - bloody ha. Should have started sooner.

Edited by Lazz

Guest voclizr

Actually, I don't have much of an opinion on my singing voice. I don't love it or hate it. It's just a tool to get a vocal line down, however, I HATE hearing my speaking voice over intercoms, ect.

:) John B.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a limited range and so have to select my key precisely. Even then, I can’t sing some songs at all as some notes are always out of my reach.

I don’t mind my voice as I speak or sing. However…. am always horrified when I listen back to a recording and I realise that this is how it sounds to everybody else.

I would like to invite whole audiences into my head so they might hear the performance correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes - inside the head, it'd be heard correctly, Rudi!

But that's what I'm about, in toto: to get what I hear in the head to be the reality heard outside the head.

To answer the Q. Depends on the song I'm singing, whether I love, hate, have mixed feelings about my voice.

Lazz, appreciate your reply + relate to everyone else's posts - have experienced or felt those same things at various times.

I don't mind my voice when I sing well, but I don't sing well as often as I would like.

I echo the sentiments of those who prefer the voice they hear in their head. When I'm writing, I am often disappointed that my real voice can't do what my imagined voice intended (e.g. falsetto)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I quite like my voice - I have got a good range (over 3 octaves: C1-C#4) - and I like my timbre.

Still - much to improve and I'm quite "lazy" when it comes to doing scales lately.

Great obsevations, I wish I could invite people into my head, I could give all the greats a run for their money !!!!!!!

if I was asked if I have a good voice. I usually say i can hit the notes but I don't necessarily like the sound of my voice

Does that make sense ??

[smiley=vocals.gif]