Your Ad Could Be Here

Singing High Notes

I want to learn how to sing high notes properly. Something just stops from my voice to come out when I practice with high octaves ... Maybe I don't know how to use the air properly...? Once on a lesson I could do high notes just as the low ones but now I just can't get to it.

Any help here ?

Thanks

Hi

Well it will depend on how you are producing your voice. Are you able to reach the notes singing falsetto?

Do you do any scale exercises?

Cheers

John

Something is blocking when I try falsetto. =/ Could it be because I hadn't had a voice for some time because I screamed too much...?

I used to do scale exercises when I was in vocal lessons and when I sang high notes in scale exercise with octavas I reached the top of the scale but my voice broke when I tryed going down.

How high are you trying to reach? What's the top of your range at the moment? It might just be that you can't sing that high.

Well I can't explain how high I tryed to reach because I don't know the right termins ....

Do you know the song : "OneRepublic - Apologize" ?

I could do bit higher then the vocalist in the chorus and I want to do that again...

So you have been screaming so badly you didn't have a voice? For how long was your voice gone? Has your voice changed anything since then, gotten raspy or anything?

You could actually have damaged your vocal chords badly, but it's impossible to tell without hearing to sing. If you could record some scales someone might be able to help you.

It was hard for me to speak for about a week but now its better.

At first my voice sounded like a offroad car motor but eventualy i recovered it...

I don't sence any damage but still I cant get to high notes.

Could you recomend any voice exercise or anything else ?

What's the highest note you can sing at the moment?

A good exercise is to to scales with the sound that you make when you're cold, "b-b-b-b-b", when your lips are bouncing against eachother (hard to explain). It's good for warming up, and it's gentle.

Hey

After what you describe I'd recommend that you see your doctor before you do anything. Get your vocal cords checked out. It's not worth losing your voice completely because, yes, it does happen.

Repeated screaming and vocal abuse can introduce tears in your vocal cords, nodules or simply severe irritation.

Do you gargle with anything to help soothe your throat?

Cheers

John

it's only practice that makes you sing at higher octave..!! when i used to have had lessons...i was pretty good at higher octaves...!! but eventually i left practising and now its vey difficult for me to sing at higher octave..!! but soon i am starting my training again..!! :)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

As I understand it (and I'm not a doctor, so I'm not offering medical advice here), if you're able to create a solid sound in head voice (with cord closure... ie not breathy), then you probably do not have vocal damage. If you can't create a clean sound in head voice, then go to your doc and get scoped just in case. I've had it done once before when I was in my teens (...theme park work... yes, I was a tool). It's not a big deal.

Regardless, check out this article on How to Sing High Notes. With any luck, you'll experience an ah-ha moment or two while reading it.

Best of luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...