Your Ad Could Be Here

Favorite Bass Solo?

John Patitucci's solo in "My Funny Valentine" from Wolfgang Muthspiel's "The Promise" album. It's probably one of the most melodic solos I've ever heard.

• 3 weeks later...

To compensate for all those people who didnt find a bass solo, I want to propose

Dave Holland - One's All

'One's All' is an album comprised entirely of bass playing.

Thats right. One man, one bass and nothing else whatsoever. So its sort of like a whole album of unaccompanied bass solos.

Dave is my favourite bassist. He plays string bass mind, not guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsblCiEYW_w

• Like 2

WEATHER REPORT & PASTORIUS "Havona"

my favorite bass solo has to be at 3:20

Yeah... I gotta echo that one; Jaco Pastorius, on his composition Havona... 

To compensate for all those people who didnt find a bass solo, I want to propose

Dave Holland - One's All

'One's All' is an album comprised entirely of bass playing.

Thats right. One man, one bass and nothing else whatsoever. So its sort of like a whole album of unaccompanied bass solos.

Rudi - Thanks for the tip.

• 1 month later...

I was traveling in africa and I kept hearing very loud drums so asked the guide what's with all the drums? he just told me "be very glad you hear drums very bad when drums stop" So ve traveled on but I kept hearing drums and they got louder. so asked again what is with the drums and what happens when they stop? He  look and me said again "be very glad you hear drums very bad when drums stop". We traveled on but I kept hearing the drums. I got got to the point I couldn't take it anymore. So yelled at him what happens when drums stop? he looked at me and said "then comes bass solo"

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Always loved Kasim Sulton's bass playing in Utopia's Singring and the Glass Guitar.  Check it out beginning at 27 seconds.  I love the melodic nature of the solo and it just is a rush everytime I hear it.  Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz76Mxb2kEw

• 8 months later...

About anything with Stu Hamm or Dave Larue and im mezmorized !!!!

Graham Gouldman of 10cc on the track 'Feel The Benefit'  (Stewart/Gouldman)  from the album 'Deceptive Bends'  1977. 

09.00 mins into this 13.54 min video   :)

• 3 months later...

I've always loved the forward and reverse slap solo on Paul Simon's Call Me Al and Flea's Bass solo in the breakdown of Aeroplane.

Edited by Glenn Allen

• 2 months later...

I actually met Mr. Brown at an Idaho jazz festival master class maybe 15 years ago.  He pulled me up on stage to demonstrate a walking blues line because I was in high school back then and had long hair and a Fu Manchu goatee, must have looked like a complete idiot and he wanted to say if I could play.  :osama:

I did ok and he was generous before showing us how it's really done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bJu2owDM2E

Edited by CaptObvious

• Editors

The Lesson by Victor Wooten must be my most favorite bass piece. The 'hook' melody of it is just so 'spiritual'!

I'm a big fan of Slam Stewart.

(solo starts at 1:47)

He is an incredible jazz bass legend who sings his bass solos an octave higher, and he's also quite the entertainer.