Your Ad Could Be Here

Favorite Bass Solo?

hey

What's your favorite bass solo? Any details you can give on why you like it so much, or how they created the sound etc would be good. :)

Cheers

John

• 1 month later...

Michael Manring - Selene

This song soudns so full of life. One bass guitar, genius mid song tuning? Amazing melody? Amazing mood?

Possibly one of the greatest bass guitarists of all time in my humble opinion... Maybe some wouldn't class this as a solo because it's not... "shredding", but damn, it's one guy and it's one bass, doesnt' get any more solo than that!

• Like 1

Must be Chris Squire (Yes) "The Fish" - he's got a very characteristic bass sound and this song is mainly built up of bass structures.

Not a solo but, John Entwistle - The Real Me -The Who, Quadrophenia.

• Like 1

Don't know if it qualifies a solo or a whole song, really - but Rubber Shirt on Sheik Yerbouti (Patrick O'Hearn on bass) is probably the most kick-ass thing I ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XeUO5aUneg

• 9 months later...

not a solo but......portrait of tracy by jaco pastorius. its so epic :3

It's not exactly a solo either but the intro to Like The Angel by Rise Against has always been my favorite bass part, i like it because Joe Principe plays so fast that it sounds like he's using a delay i didn't realize he wasn't using any effects until I saw them live. love it

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I dont get much into bass solo stuff but heres a few suggestions...

"Kindergarten" by Faith No More off the album "Angel Dust"

"Orion" by Metallica of the album "Master Of Puppets"

anything that Tony Levin or Mick Karn ever did with Peter Gabriel, King Crimson, Japan or solo projects.

Manring is just incredible nobody plays a bass the way he does.

I'd never seen or heard Tal Wilkenfeld play. Oh wow! now I get what the talk is about. I love the looks she gives at about the 2:40 mark lol! cute :ilovemusic: I think I want to hear more Jeff Beck...

• Like 1

I love the bass solo in "Maxwell Murder" by Rancid. I love it even more when they do live shows and Matt Freeman goes insane with it. I have no reason's why I enjoy it so much, I just do :)

• 2 weeks later...

i'd never seen or heard Tal Wilkenfeld play. Oh wow! now I get what the talk is about. I love the looks she gives at about the 2:40 mark lol! cute :ilovemusic: I think I want to hear more Jeff Beck...

that's a John Galt smile ! :)

• 4 months later...

(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth Bass Solo of Cliff Burton From Kill 'em All. When i was in college i had a teacher for my musicproduction class that recorded this LP in Rochester NY and he told me that this was done with a 8 or 10in speaker in a coffee can mic'd about 10in away Amazing.

• 4 months later...

Michael Manring - Selene

This song soudns so full of life. One bass guitar, genius mid song tuning? Amazing melody? Amazing mood?

Possibly one of the greatest bass guitarists of all time in my humble opinion... Maybe some wouldn't class this as a solo because it's not... "shredding", but damn, it's one guy and it's one bass, doesnt' get any more solo than that!

He's fantastic! I didn't know that stuff was possible! truly beautiful

Man, Tal is phenomenal, great stuff!

my favorite bass solo has to be at 3:20

:punk:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pablodellabella/videos

http://www.pablodellabella.com

• 6 months later...

Not a solo but, John Entwistle - The Real Me -The Who, Quadrophenia.

This.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth Bass Solo of Cliff Burton From Kill 'em All. When i was in college i had a teacher for my musicproduction class that recorded this LP in Rochester NY and he told me that this was done with a 8 or 10in speaker in a coffee can mic'd about 10in away Amazing.

Gotta be this. Burton was just phenomenal. A live version:

Really like the bass work in this one too, not just the solo but the whole bass line:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...