Most recognizable drum beat?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OK gonna date myself,saw Iron Butterfly do Inagaddadavida at the filmore back around 1970 and the whole place beat the solo out with him.Not really a good solo but recognizable to a bunch of stoned out freaks.Alot of good solos played in that auditorium from santana to tower of power.I'd mention Queen but the've been recognized so might say That Joan Jet tune I Love Rock and roll has a pretty recognizale drum and guitar riff...Then theres that way to over used grove thats used in all the alternative and hiphop stuff played now,couldn't say what it is but anybody with any concept of rythum knows it.Forgive me thats three but i only named two.lol

• 2 years later...

I'm afraid "Rock and Roll", John Bonham is probably the most recognisable rock drum track of them all. I personaly like "Good Times, Bad Times". Some really good signature double kick (without a double kick).

-joel

OK gonna date myself,saw Iron Butterfly do Inagaddadavida at the filmore back around 1970 and the whole place beat the solo out with him.Not really a good solo but recognizable to a bunch of stoned out freaks.Alot of good solos played in that auditorium from santana to tower of power.I'd mention Queen but the've been recognized so might say That Joan Jet tune I Love Rock and roll has a pretty recognizale drum and guitar riff...Then theres that way to over used grove thats used in all the alternative and hiphop stuff played now,couldn't say what it is but anybody with any concept of rythum knows it.Forgive me thats three but i only named two.lol

Great track. Iron butterfly are a much underated band. Funny. Inagaddadavida (also called "In the garden of Eden" by some ;) ), the live version particularly, is so unlike most of their albums.

Good Times, bad times is another great track. JB came up with several classic beats. Zep were my favorite band in my teens and early 20s. Still love them. :)

Guest voclizr

Billy Joel's 52nd Street album (1978). Track called "Stiletto". Not an outstanding drum beat, but in the chorus, Liberty DeVito plays a Ringo Starr kind of groove on the snare.

John B. :)

• 7 months later...
I'm not a new member, but I can throw up another choice. How about "Hot For Teacher" - Van Halen. Drum tracks don't come much more distinctive than that one.

Ha! I was watching that on YouTube the other day! Good call! :)

It's not an example of amazing drumming ,but as soon as I read the title to this topic I got 'Come Out And Play (Keep 'Em Separated)' by The Offspring in my head... I think it's the intro mostly, and then I go off into Offspring world and all their standout drum lines come pouring into my head... Sadly the other song that springs to mind is 'Sound Of Drums' by Kula Shaker, but the drum beat isn't as noticeable as you might assume :S

Rohan

While we are on Phil Collins I think his beat on "In the air tonight" is probably the most iconic one by him.

Another interesting (if not so recognizable) drumbeat is on Peter Gabriels "That voice again"

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As soon as I thought of this I got the intro beat for 'Song 2' by Blur, although I'm sure it's used elsewhere, I've not heard it quite that distinctively by anyone else... 'Gone Away' by Offspring is pretty distinctive for me too, and then the intro to 'Longview' had me screaming in joy before everyone else when I saw Green Day...

P.S. Wow, I don't remember replying before, but it goes to show what a few months will do to the riffs in your head! :)

While we are on Phil Collins I think his beat on "In the air tonight" is probably the most iconic one by him

Agree, this was the second thing I thought of behind Mic Fleetwoods Tusk.

For me, whoever Chuck Brown's drummer is on that 'Go-Go Swing' thing has great whack, readily identifiable, simple and solid, never stops.

Crap sound on this vid - but dig it.

In your opinion...In history what artist created the song with the most recognizable drum beat?

Maximum of two songs per member please.

This should be interesting..... ;D

Drumtracks

Anybody mention the Amen break already? That wins the prize for most recognisable. As in: it's everywhere, even if you don't know the name.

• 1 month later...

OMG i was reading through this post, and could not believe that no one had mentioned the AMEN BREAK until just now.. Its quite possibly the most used drum loop of all time.

Although that particular vid is arguably incorrect about the whole culture of jungle and drum n bass being based on it.