Your Ad Could Be Here

Hi all,

I've decided it's time to get a new acoustic guitar for recording (that I plan to include in a mix with recorded vocals and VSTs).

Anyone have a preferred brand or specific guitar that is great for recording? I guess my genre would be considered pop or alt rock, but I'm pretty eclectic and want a versatile guitar.

I've been leaning toward a Seagull S6 or a Taylor 414ce.

Thanks!

For acoustic, I would have thought whichever guitar you like the sound of better. Then it’s just down to how to mic it up.

It will be more crucial if your guitar is played without further accompaniment. Then you may wish to maximise the full range of highs, mids & lows (the opposite of compression). A guitar rich in tonal range would be well suited.

Another thing could be volume. I sometimes struggle to ovoid the sound of my own breathing creeping in to recording, but if you just want to strum loud it wont be a problem.

Aside from that, Mike’s advice is usually spot on. He is favouring the highs of the Taylor over the lows of the Seagull (I think).

I realized my stupid mistake 10 minutes after posting.. 

I humbly apologize David.

Further to just1l's suggestion to try both. Always try a guitar before buying. There are always small differences between even those of the same batch. Just make sure it sounds suitable for your music.

What does that mean? When Fylde guitars were young, I drove to the then premises (Progress Mill in Kirkham). I played many models. I was particularly struck by the lush warm sound of a blonde wood model. It would have been easy to have decided on it straight away. It only sounded its best when played softly though. When I played more aggressively it didnt respond well. I ended up choosing a different model that had more bite when played hard. Thats an example of what I mean.

I went to Guitar Center and listened to different choices again. There might be something wrong with my head, but I didn't like the "bright" Taylor sound nearly as much as the rich Martin sound.

I really was going to get the DRS1, but then I stumbled upon this MMV and it sounded so much better and was so playable that I couldn't believe it! Even though the DRS1 was head-and-shoulders above anything else I'd heard, the MMV steamrolled it.

So, now I own a Martin, after six years of playing and owning a pretty basic beginner's guitar that took me pretty far. (I also got $100 off, two packs of strings, and a strap thrown in)

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I don't know Klingon for thanks, so I'll say it in Spanish instead: Gracias, todos!

Also, a shout-out to my MasterCard. :)

• Like 1

Congrats on the Martin. I have a D-28 that is my go to recording guitar. When I play out though I use my Taylor. I don't let my Martin leave the house. If you ever get to Nazareth, PA. Take a tour of the Martin factory. It will blow your mind to watch these craftsmen at work.

Dave

play with an old martin , for me it is beyond words, but also have others I like and play , for me it is the sound I am looking for , guess why some travel with 6-10 or more me , i'm simple take 2-3 and roll out , can always pick new ones up when the feeling strikes, but truth is , you become attached and them pieces of wood become friends , so hard question, if asked I would say what ever fits your style and budget , but try many , the one that is meant to be will fall I to them hands

rock on !!