Your Ad Could Be Here

Do you warm up?

Hey

Do you any of you do any warm up vocal exercises? If you do, what do you do? If not, do you have a reason?

Cheers

John

[smiley=vocals.gif]

hi john

i find running through some scales with some resonant 'oow's and 'aaahs' does it for me - all the better if a lady friend is about to help you.

drink plenty of water beforehand and during and repeat for the gig as necessary.

:-[

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you Dr. Dan.. ;D Ahhhhhhhhh two, two, One two...Grglllrrgrrllgrrll..

Do you any of you do any warm up vocal exercises? If you do, what do you do? If not, do you have a reason?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I need to warm up before I do any serious singing. I find that my range and tone both sound better and last longer. I start out with some headrolls and shaking loose, then do different scales for 10-15 minutes. It's a psychological process for me too, in that I consentrate around breath and tone.

I usually play all the songs I am going to play at home before I play them in the pub, but more quietly otherwise all the local dogs start howling. And if I played them at the same volume at home, then I'd have to warm up for that and so on...

I need to warm up before I do any serious singing. I find that my range and tone both sound better and last longer. I start out with some headrolls and shaking loose, then do different scales for 10-15 minutes. It's a psychological process for me too, in that I consentrate around breath and tone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm hearing you on the psychological side of preparation Finn - personally i find its important to be in the right frame of mind. - if i'm tired, or emotionally engaged elsewhere then i know it'll be a pretty crapped out performance...

2 Whiskeys

3 Beers

1 & 1/2 packs of smokes

and I'm ready to go

[smiley=rockin.gif][smiley=rockin.gif][smiley=rockin.gif]

i'm hearing you on the psychological side of preparation Finn - personally i find its important to be in the right frame of mind. - if i'm tired, or emotionally engaged elsewhere then i know it'll be a pretty crapped out performance...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah - psyche is 80%

• 2 weeks later...

Hey

Interesting range of answers. Quite a few different approaches, but mainly informal.

Do any of you think it would be worth your while doing a more formal warm up?

Cheers

John

Yeah - psyche is 80%

I couldn't agree more Finn.

Hey

Interesting range of answers. Quite a few different approaches, but mainly informal.

Do any of you think it would be worth your while doing a more formal warm up?

Cheers

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean wear a dinner suit while I am doing it? :P

No, not for what I do which is pretty informal anyway....

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I think Finn's routine IS formal, John!

That's why I said "mainly".

:P:)

• 2 years later...

Me with the Goat. Before a performance, I will run through what I'm going to sing--softly, so as not to bother the neighbors' dogs (if, of course, I'm feeling kindly toward the dogs--I don't always). I do it mostly to make sure I remdember all the words, but I'm also remembering the intonations, pauses, and facial expressions I'll use with each song. Since most of my songs push the one-octave limit of my voice range, it's vocal exercise of a sort, too.

Joe

• 3 months later...

I do warm up, if I don't warm up I won't be able to do a thing rignt :P

I do short and long interval scales, first with humming and then with the "b-b-b-b-b"-sound you make when you're cold. It comes from Brett Mannings Singing Success, and it's suppose to speed up the warming up-time a lot. After that I sometimes do some other excercises from Singing Success.

i haven't done any gig or any performances yet...so never needed so...

but

i have a suggestion...take a glassfull of water and put it over flames...warm it...do not boil...and then take a pinch of salt into a glass and then add water into it...!

and now gurgle it...i bet you'll sure have clear voice...!

• 1 year later...
  • Noob

it is vital to warm up your voice before doing any singing, wether its just in your home for yourself or at a gig,

sadly i never do it, it is likely to one day ruin my voice.

if i ever do warn up though, it pretty much is just running up scales and holding a note for as long as possible.

I do Eric Arcenaux's vocal warm-up exercise, which has made available as a series of youtube videos. He says that you wouldn't want to just workout when getting your swimming trunks on, so, similarly, you wouldn't just warm-up before doing a gig. He stressed the importance of vocalizing every day, which makes a lot of sense to me.