Your Ad Could Be Here

Help! Get This Music Out Of My Head

I'm completely new to the world of songwriting.  I am a former singer and I played piano for 10 years of my life.  I don't pretend to know how to write notes on staff paper.  With all of that said.  HELP!!  How do I get the music out of my head?  I assume that software is the way to go for me.  Can anyone suggest a fail safe software.  I have the free trial of Finale.  The reviews claim that is easy.  Really?!  I am still able to pick out tunes on a piano but writing key signatures, getting the rhythm correct, etc. is too much.  I know other people writing music that don't have half the musical experience that I have.  How are they doing this?  What am I missing?

I use Guitar Pro for notation, you can dl a trial I think. There are a few others, Google music notation for a heap of them. take your pick!

Kel

Thank you for the suggestions. Seems like recording is the key.  Basic recording software, huh.

I guess I did not express myself correctly.  I have a piano.  I can pick out notes with one finger. That's it.  My instrument is my voice.  I am a singer.  At this very moment, I have this awesome song in my head.  No one knows it because they can't hear it.  I can sing my melody with my wonderful lyrics.  You cant hear the piano, the guitars or the drums.  How do I get that music out of my head?  Do you just talk to other musicians and hum their parts to them?  This is why I thought software was the only way.  HoboSage mentioned that I could "sing into a tape recorder" which is probably closer to reality at this point.  Then what?  I have this image of walking up to a guitar player saying, now your part goes Bererereeeeer.  :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Ms Shaye, ...... I'd like to echo Mr tunesmiths response and add a couple things.... as I believe the second option he presented to be the more logical and realistic one .... if you can, as you say, sing and hear song melodys and arraingments in your head, then as you say , you already have an instrument ...your voice ... and you are already bringing one of the important parts of a song to the table .... I would suggest concentrating your efforts on finding a/some comparable co writers ...... along eith the melody and arraingment , you will need the song idea,lyrics, and harmony part (Chords), as a start to get headed towards your goal ...... the biggest problem I see will be navigating thru the snakes and serpents you will encounter in that path as an inexperienced songwriter ... before you even start the search for a compatable co writer , do some research on song sharks, and "put your lyrics to music " businesses and websites .... be sure you completely understand how,who, and what they are, and how they operate , and the your the greatest singer ,and you need a professolnal demo businesses ....... there are many many legit songwriters looking for co writers .... but I can NOT almost, I can guarantee you that the snakes will climb out of the rock pile when they see a new writer .......this is not meant to be negative, songwriting is my passion , and I encourage you to pursue your dream ... just take the advice of people that have walked that path before you .... best of luck. Midnight Howler

• 4 weeks later...
  • Noob

I'm completely new to the world of songwriting.  I am a former singer and I played piano for 10 years of my life.  I don't pretend to know how to write notes on staff paper.  With all of that said.  HELP!!  How do I get the music out of my head?  I assume that software is the way to go for me.  Can anyone suggest a fail safe software.  I have the free trial of Finale.  The reviews claim that is easy.  Really?!  I am still able to pick out tunes on a piano but writing key signatures, getting the rhythm correct, etc. is too much.  I know other people writing music that don't have half the musical experience that I have.  How are they doing this?  What am I missing?

Well be creative do something fun that is inspiring. Don't try to hard I did that and it goes away and never comes back. Do those to things and maybe you will be like me I am in MKTO......

Shaye,

I think you may be confusing songwriting with arranging.

As a songwriter, all you really care about is the lyrics and the melody. And while it's good if you can notate the music, you really don't have to. It helps immensely to the write the lyrics though! Some will say as the songwriter you also set the chords, but I've heard both sides of that argument and given 10 years of piano I'm sure you'll know what chords sound good under a melody.

As long as you can sing the melody, you really don't need to worry about notating it. Simply record it. I have heard very humble "demos" submitted to publishers that resulted in hit songs once an arrangement was organised by the publisher. Of course, it's a competitve market and the more you can do the better, but songwriters aren't necessarily proficient in musical notation and theory.  Some can't even play an instrument or read music!

If you imagine a building. The architect had the vision, he may or may not have used a draftsman to draw the nitty gritty plans, but a builder lays down the bricks and mortar. I doubt many architects can lay bricks good enough to keep a brickie out of work!

Don't stress about what you can't do, just do what you can. Sing, play, record.

Cheers,

Kel