Your Ad Could Be Here

Which midi controller ZB2 or Linnstrument

So I might have some extra money coming my way in the next few months,  I'm looking to buy myself something as a Christmas gift to myself.

I've got the chance to buy a zb2 which is an instrument I've been in love with since about 2001 but never could afford.

fc613d5b512fca2874c3f0dce8f492cf.jpg

It's a 12x24 grid layout tuned to 4ths which is roughly 6.5 Octaves but if you split it in half you get 2 5.5 octaves and you can even split it into three and still get 3 5 octave "Zones"  It's finely programable and is based on starr labs ztars (Of which I'm quite familiar with.  When starr labs was selling them they went for $5,000  I have the opportunity to pick it up for 2k  

As far as I'm aware there are only 10 ZB2's in existence.  One owned by Alan Holdsworth.  It doesn't however mean they are collectors value as I've seen the same one on the market for 3 years now.  So the resale value is very low.

The other option is the linnstrument.

linnstrument-note-names.png

The linnstrument is only an 8x25 is capable of only doing one split and doesn't have the features (knobs, joystick, touch-strip) or the programability of the zb2 What the linnstrument does offer is x/y control within the note region.  easy "frettless" slides left and right and two other parameters for up and down (like modulation) giving the linnstrument full aftertouch in ways that cannot be created on a conventional keyboard or even the new "seaboard" instrument.

The linnstrument is a brand new instrument released this year. It's mass produced and so far as I can tell they aren't going up for resell on the used market.  They are very popular with "touch" musicians (chapman stick et all) And a number of my fellow "ztarists" have made the conversion to the linnstrument without looking back.

If I had the financial means I'd get one of each. The ZB2 for harmony and the linnstrument for solo's  That isn't going to happen.   I've given myself till December to decide.  And in doing so the decision may already be made for me.  As the zb2 I intend to purchase is up for auction on ebay (even though it hasn't sold in 4 years (relisted) 

The ZB2 owner must be keen to sell to keep resisting for 4 years, and/or they have an unrealistic expectation of resale value. I guess it is possible you might get a bargain, but I imagine the reason it isn't selling is not that he has had no offers, more likely the offers just haven't met his expectation.

i am guessing you haven't played either instrument? What is so appealing about either instrument?

Interesting dilemma. I do love modern unusual instruments!

The ZB2 is based on the Ztar of which I own. having 12 as opposed to 6 strings or rows offers a wide harmonic range.  I've tried to lay my ztar flat like a slide guitar but it's impractical. The ZB2 has more properly spaced/sized "keys" which makes it considerably easier to play. It's also pressure sensitive as opposed to simply velocity sensitive.  And it has a tactile surface.

Regarding the resell value.... ZB's and Ztars have been for a long time made by hand per order. It's not high production and it's all been in the US paying good US money to american workers. This means they are expensive to produce.  Consumers have been either unaware or apathetic to this and thus shy'd away from purchasing these "higher end" instruments.  Especially guitarists who seem to fight advances of technology where it requires some adaption.

The big appeal to me is the grid like layout and the range.  Having a grid tuned to 4ths makes it easier for a guitarist to adapt to rather then a keyboard. It also allows for harmonies that would be unattainable via a guitar regardless of tuning and some that could otherwise be impossible on a keybed.

There's more I just don't have the time to get into it right now.

Here are a few more things about the ZB2

Although it doesn't have led's the ZB2 can have any section of the instrument act like a Ableton Live, Bitwig or Mixcraft Controller to handle scene manipulation.  Somewhat like the Starr Labs Clipper sans the LED's

I have the same features on my Baby Z however the BabyZ is limited to 6 string 16 frets

The programming is oddly rather simple and straightforward and can all be done via the lcd display.   With most starr labs instruments think of a key (or button) as an island.  It can be tuned to any note value. And can send other parameters (CC) as well.  When one groups keys (anywhere you can draw a rectangle) That becomes a "zone" the unit has 40 zones that can be sent on up to 32 midi channels (16 left / right) 

That's only where things start.  

The ZB2 has 48 "songs" think of them as presets for all of your ztar arranging that can be stored to pull up when you want a different arrangement or to call up different instruments from the controller itself rather then reaching over for a mouse or a touch screen.

One more feature is the polyphony.  On a linnstrument one is limited to 2 notes per "string" (row) on the ZB2..it's only limited by how many notes you can physically depress per row.

Great info. I just don't understand why any musician wouldn't want to at least try new instruments. There's nothing to be scared of. I love trying new instruments. We are in a new musical environment and sometimes older instruments aren't fir for purpose. Look at the revolution it recording tech. The interfaces and gear went from analogue to digital to software and hybrid systems, with swappable control surfaces that suited different applications and types of user. Yet outside effects racks, many instruments have stagnated by comparison.

Both of these look interesting with some serious features I could see being useful. Both look to have quite a lot of growth room before you hit a serious limitation. Nice one.

The price on the zb2 kept sales down.  Also as much as I like Harvey Starr founder of Starr Labs. He's an engineer first and a marketer last.  Most of his sales have been for midi wireless units that one can attach or have installed to midi controllers

airpower-midi-adapter.jpg

As far as the linnstrument it's becoming more and more popular as Roger Linn is a name to be recognized.  It's only been out a year and no one is selling them used on ebay.  Jordan Rudess has stated he'll be recording with his soon and making it a part of his touring gear.  A good friend and fellow "ztarist" Jeff Moen has been pushing out videos using one.