Your Ad Could Be Here

What are you listening to at the moment?

On 7/9/2017 at 3:52 PM, Richard Tracey said:

Hi all, just wondering what everyone is listening to at the moment - music wise, before someone says their other half or kids moaning at them!!! - I just thought it would be interesting to see the diverse mix of music and whether you feel inspired to do your own music when you are listening....

I started listening to the Ultravox back catalogue again yesterday. I have done this as I feel this is the best way for me to think about my own music, as this is my favourite group and they influenced my style from a young age. You remember how good the music is, but really, until you listen again with the ears of someone hoping to create and do something with their own music, you really don't realise how good the music actually was. The arrangements, the mix, the production, all of it. If I could emulate only a fraction of that, I would be happy.

I tend to listen to my own playlists these days on Spotify. There is a mixture on there music from the 1960s to the 1990s with some newer music that I have come across through my children. I have a lot of Todd Rundgren on there (great songwriter), with some Santana, Erasure, MAN, and so much more. I was listening to "Take a look at me now" by Phil Collins recently and it sparked an idea for a song that I have just completed the lyrics for. My ideas can emerge from anywhere.

Have you ever noticed there's a two-beat bar before the chorus of Once in a Lifetime, so the bassline moves from the one to the three and back again. It makes me think they recorded the groove first, then David Byrne wrote the song over it.

Edited by Glammerocity

• 1 month later...

I haven't even thought of this song for ages and after today it popped right into mind. "Dirty Business"

I had to continue .. oh my goodness if you could throw in you own metaphor on these 2 songs.. and the petal steel .. traditional on this one but Dirty Business a whole different strory. 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 9:52 AM, Peggy said:

Remembering Miles Davis today. So What.

I read an interview with him once where someone asked him who his favorite musician was and he said, "I am. If I didn't like the way I played I wouldn't play that way." That tickled me to no end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danger Man said:

Prodigal - "Boxes" (1984) 

I hadn't heard of the band and looked them up and the lyrics, too.  Lovely guitar and song, emotionally touching.

• Like 1

Think you've heard "Over the Rainbow" so many times you're sick of it? Eva's arrangement makes it like a new song and yet it's still the old one too. She could have given clinics in arranging. And what a singer. 

• Like 1

Pixies will release new album ‘Doggerel’ on September 30. “This time around we have grown”, says guitarist Joey Santiago.  “We no longer have under two-minute songs. We have little breaks, more conventional arrangements but still our twists in there”. 

Here’s the single:

There’s A Moon On

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 10:54 AM, Danger Man said:

Think you've heard "Over the Rainbow" so many times you're sick of it? Eva's arrangement makes it like a new song and yet it's still the old one too. She could have given clinics in arranging. And what a singer. 

I love the song and she performs it so beautifully. 

• Like 1

Tedeschi Trucks Band - "Everybody's Talkin'"

Another great lesson on arranging. These guys are so good....

Edited by Danger Man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Danger Man said:

Tedeschi Trucks Band

Love the stuff they do.  This was  my first song on my "Peggy's Picks"  playlists  for Songstuff.  Here's the song and agree about arrangements!!

• Like 1

Johnny Hodges is a master on caressing notes rather than just playing them. By the time you get to the end of the song you'll see just what I mean. He was an original. I never heard anybody like him.

Edited by Danger Man