Your Ad Could Be Here

Favourite Thing About Electronic Music?

Hi all, as it says on the tin..... what is your favourite thing about electronic music and why do you like it?

For me, there is so much innovative and interesting songs out there that could only be created by using some form of electronics, but it also allows me to express myself in my music. I couldn’t do it without the help of electronics. The synth and electronic drums opened up a whole new sonic world when they came along in the 70’s (I know they were around before that, but started to be the prominent instrument in the 70’s) and gave us some of the best music ever created (in my opinion). When used with more traditional instruments, it helped to enhance that sound far beyond anything you could achieve normally. We would never have had ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ if it hadn’t of been for electronics. Pink Floyd spent a year making strange sounds on an early form of synth in the studio, which formed the basis of the music they created and in turn, the album.

For me it is the scope of creativity. It has some limitations, but those limitations are constantly overcome. The sheer breadth and depth and possibilities, is immense.

Expression and sound takes me to such interesting spaces. It teases emotion and demands attention. What’s not to love?

I was going to ramble about not liking the tag 'electronic music' but changed my mind ;)

Stuff I don't like about electronic music -

- The SOUND of early Depeche Mode (great songwriting.... friggin horrible sound/vibe, and the same applies to many, but not all, 80s synth pop bands)
- That EDM killed Indie for aaaaaaaaaaaaaages in the 90s.

Stuff I do like about electronic music -

- Using synths to help make songs sound bigger or more atmospheric

- Blending synth sound with 'real' sounds

- The Knife

I think that covers it :)

6 hours ago, MonoStone said:

I was going to ramble about not liking the tag 'electronic music' but changed my mind ;)

Stuff I don't like about electronic music -

- The SOUND of early Depeche Mode (great songwriting.... friggin horrible sound/vibe, and the same applies to many, but not all, 80s synth pop bands)
- That EDM killed Indie for aaaaaaaaaaaaaages in the 90s.

Stuff I do like about electronic music -

- Using synths to help make songs sound bigger or more atmospheric

- Blending synth sound with 'real' sounds

- The Knife

I think that covers it :)

Dek, I think a lot of what probably annoyed you was the plink plonk sounds a lot of artists used in the early 80’s as they mostly all used the same synth and played with one finger. It wasn’t until they learned to play (a bit like the punks) that we started to get a bit more experimentation with the sounds they used.

EDM was fine for a certain segment of the musical population and I don’t think it did kill indie. We had grunge and the Brit pop came along. During that EDM was still being played and is to this date.

Synths combined with more natural instruments can make songs so much bigger and some acts use that to fantastic effect - Muse are one of those bands. The noise those 3 guys make is incredible. A lot of newer bands use them well, blending everything together so it feels natural and not out of place.

7 minutes ago, Richard Tracey said:

a bit like the punks

I dunno, the Sex Pistols lead it...and they played fantastic in studio (since Sid didn't play). Steve Jones was a superb guitarist and Paul Cook was totally solid. Sometimes I wonder if good 'punk' ever existed, or even what 'punk' was, the good ones were just doing rock n roll with attitude and could actually play. All the really tuneless trying-to-be-punk-just-making-a-noise punk was just crap, as crap as Sid Vicious was, and I'm not sure any of that sort ever got better. 

10 minutes ago, Richard Tracey said:

EDM was fine for a certain segment of the musical population and I don’t think it did kill indie

It did in Manchester for quite a while. I was in the middle of all that. Aciiiiid really screwed things up, guitar indie bands struggled unless they added some house/dance to the sound. It didn't die forever but... for a while it was buried ;) 

...  hehe I also just kind of liked throwing 'I hate Depeche Mode' into an Electronic Music Club.... SORRY! ;)  (I really didn't/don't like it though... It was the lack of mood and attitude in it. I loved what Gary Numan and a few others were doing in the charts... moodier, more dramatic stuff. 

• 1 month later...

Archived