Your Ad Could Be Here

6 hours ago, starise said:

I played a fairly well timed guitar part . It couldn't find anything that fit

Are you aware that you can turn down the complexity of the whole kit and/or any one element, or even turn off that element?  Also, if still too busy, you can select to play at 1/2 time.  Then, if close, you can drag the resulting block back into the "tap/search" window to narrow the list provided. 
Also, don't forget that the options provided depend on the MIDI libraries you have installed. Depending on your genre, then it may be worth stumping up for some extras ... e.g. there's 4 Songwriter pack (currently 20% off at 23 Euros each).  There's an audio demo for each.

From memory, the main hurdle was 'tapping' a beat (especially with latency on my system). I eventually found that the simplest approach was to click in the simplest of main beats ... one kick and snare on 2/3/4 as required ... then, on a supplied block, ramp up the hit hat/snare/kick to get nearer to target, then drag THAT to the Search bar.
Took me a while to figure how to extract what I wanted from EZD, and my usage is sporadic at best, but happy to help if you want (and if I can).  If so, perhaps message me away from this general discussion.

As a bagpiper I feel I should respond to the jokes about bagpipes:

What's the difference between a bagpipe and an onion?
No one cries when you chop up a bagpipe.

What's the difference between a bagpipe and a trampoline?
You take off your shoes when you jump on a trampoline.

What's the difference between a lawn mower and a bagpipe?
You can tune a lawn mower.

How do you make a chain saw sound like a bagpipe?

Add vibrato.

What's the difference between a dead snake in the road and a dead bagpiper in the road?

Skid marks in front of the snake.

What's the difference between a dead bagpiper in the road and a dead country singer in the road?
The country singer may have been on the way to a recording session.

What's the definition of "optimism"?
A bagpiper with a beeper.

Did you hear the one about the bagpiper who parked his car with the windows open, forgetting that he had left his bagpipes in the back seat?
He rushed back as soon as he realized it, but it was too late--someone had already put another set of bagpipes in the car.

Why do bagpipers always walk when the play?

Moving targets are harder to hit.

What's one thing you never hear people say?
Oh, that's the bagpiper's Porsche.

How can you tell if a bagpipe is out of tune?
Someone is blowing into it.

What's the range of a set of bagpipe?
Twenty yards if you have a good arm.

How do you get two bagpipes to play in perfect unison?

Shoot one.

IMG_7382.jpeg

IMG_7375.jpeg

IMG_7378.jpeg

IMG_7377.jpeg

IMG_7376.jpeg

And just to prove I have other jokes:

IMG_7381.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 2/12/2024 at 6:08 PM, GregB said:

Are you aware that you can turn down the complexity of the whole kit and/or any one element, or even turn off that element?  Also, if still too busy, you can select to play at 1/2 time.  Then, if close, you can drag the resulting block back into the "tap/search" window to narrow the list provided. 
Also, don't forget that the options provided depend on the MIDI libraries you have installed. Depending on your genre, then it may be worth stumping up for some extras ... e.g. there's 4 Songwriter pack (currently 20% off at 23 Euros each).  There's an audio demo for each.

From memory, the main hurdle was 'tapping' a beat (especially with latency on my system). I eventually found that the simplest approach was to click in the simplest of main beats ... one kick and snare on 2/3/4 as required ... then, on a supplied block, ramp up the hit hat/snare/kick to get nearer to target, then drag THAT to the Search bar.
Took me a while to figure how to extract what I wanted from EZD, and my usage is sporadic at best, but happy to help if you want (and if I can).  If so, perhaps message me away from this general discussion.

@GregB

I very much appreciate your offer to help. I'm sure I only scratched the surface of the program . I plan to try these suggestions out. My guitar playing while in time, tends to be very different since I don't play with a pick.My rhythm comes through a down or upstroke like a pick but often not as apparent. I can see why the AI would not be able to match a down beat on me. Even so possibly those suggestions may help.

My acosutic mixes tend to only need light drumming in the background. I've even been ok with UJAM's ONE for that, just shakers and things, which is why a lot of this will be overkill on me. I still make denser more rock like mixes and that's where this will really shine, and I don't see any harm in having a drum part I like and building on it instead. The issue for me  sometimes lies in a tune I've already recorded trying to fish around for a matching rhythm. Sure I could hand drum it on the keyboard I guess.

The very best thing for me is a matching set of midi loops intro, verse 1&2, chorus, fills and ending. I have already mixed and matched but I don't prefer that.

@john

That's hilarious :)

I know we like to pick on certain instruments, but I really like bagpipes when they are played well, which in my areas isn't very often. 

Here's one I did that's a sort of dream thing but I like that bagpipe vst.

7 hours ago, starise said:

... bagpipe VST

'Celtic Starise - Emerald Sky' ... really nice vibe.
I would have liked to hear the bagpipes takes the lead, at least for a section, and establish a core tune (rather than all being passing phrases buried low in the mix).  On keyboard, did you use 'true' bagpipe pitch and scale?
There's SOMETHING about Celtic music which always tugs hard at my core.  Quite strange as, although I grew up in the UK, I have no recollection of being exposed to the music and have no Irish/Scottish family, but I think it eventually heavily influenced the old/traditional English folk music ith which I'm more familiar. There is a song of this ilk during the end credits of the small indie film "The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry" (which I happened to watch last night) that made my eyes quite misty! 

16 hours ago, GregB said:

'Celtic Starise - Emerald Sky' ... really nice vibe.
I would have liked to hear the bagpipes takes the lead, at least for a section, and establish a core tune (rather than all being passing phrases buried low in the mix).  On keyboard, did you use 'true' bagpipe pitch and scale?
There's SOMETHING about Celtic music which always tugs hard at my core.  Quite strange as, although I grew up in the UK, I have no recollection of being exposed to the music and have no Irish/Scottish family, but I think it eventually heavily influenced the old/traditional English folk music ith which I'm more familiar. There is a song of this ilk during the end credits of the small indie film "The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry" (which I happened to watch last night) that made my eyes quite misty! 

This was an older vst that no longer is for sale to my recollections Was from Bolder sounds I think. I still have it. It had a unique stereo field that was more than one bagpipe, so it sounded like multiple pipers all playing.

When I listen back to it I would agree with you that it was a little too abstract and could have had more of a motif.

There is English traditional acoustic music too but I never learned much of it. Most modern Irish have the top 40 radio just like the rest of the world. Maybe only in the local pubs will you hear the traditional music. Lots of them have no interest.

The bug bit me when I went to Ireland and then playing in session here I learned a lot of the music. One of the world renowned fiddlers is really an englishman who moved to Ireland. Kevin Burke. I have a pic of us together at one of his concerts which are usually smaller venues.I was able to talk with him some. Down to earth and talented beyond belief.

I could go on and on about what makes that music attractive to some people. It really takes quite and effort to play a lot of it to speed and those guys know like 100 tunes by memory. 

6 hours ago, starise said:

100 tunes by memory.

Alas, with MY memory, I wouldn't be able to learn/play a single one :( (altho' I can still churn out a few of the Delta Blues finger-picking guitar instrumentals that I learned way back as a teenager).
Celtic music for me is less about specific tunes, and more about the vibe of the instruments/voices, and it's the slow laments that do me in.  Anything with Uilleann pipes is guaranteed to rip my heart out. 

There are a couple of awesome Uileann pipe VSTs…. I tried them out a couple of years ago. I’ll need to dig them out. Not perfect, but good.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 8:47 PM, john said:

There are a couple of awesome Uileann pipe VSTs…. I tried them out a couple of years ago. I’ll need to dig them out. Not perfect, but good.

It's a miracle there are any :)

11 hours ago, starise said:

It's a miracle there are any :)

One is from Spitfire labs (their stuff is always awesome)

https://labs.spitfireaudio.com/uilleann-pipes

and

Dicky Deegan’s Uilleann pipes

https://xtant-audio.com/product/dicky-deegans-uilleann-pipes/

:)

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 8:04 PM, john said:

One is from Spitfire labs (their stuff is always awesome)

https://labs.spitfireaudio.com/uilleann-pipes

and

Dicky Deegan’s Uilleann pipes

https://xtant-audio.com/product/dicky-deegans-uilleann-pipes/

:)

Well that's pretty close to the fart library Soundiron makes. Yes I have it. :)

I am mostly kidding here. I have heard them played well. Not often :)