Your Ad Could Be Here

Hi all, I'm Dave

• Noob

Hi guys!

My name is Dave and I'm from Montreal, Canada. I've been playing guitar for around 15 years now and professionaly for about 8.

Creating has always been something I loved but never actually got serious about it. I only write when I get "lost" playing and something nice comes up.

Sadly music isn't my main activity, but I found something that complements it well (in my opinion): Programming. I started programming about 5 years ago and love the act of creating something from ground to finish. Heck, I even got back to school for it! :P 

I'm lucky enough to have experienced touring and playing oversea and I don't think I could get enough of it. Friendships and sharing is what I love the most about playing music. There's something undescribable about being in sync with many peaople you love.

That's about it! :) 

• Like 2

• Noob

Thanks guys!

@Patchez, I don't really have stuff online yet. The professional aspect has mainly been in accompanying artists as a session/freelance musician or musical director in live shows. I get my gigs from word of mouth mainly. I have a "showreel" that dates from a few years back, but I don't think it actually brought me some jobs. I'm thinking about posting more videos though. I just have to make the jump. 

In short, not a lot of studio work. Not that I don't want to, but the occasion did not really come.

Edited by Dave Bernier

• Noob

Wow! Gotta say that I didn't expect such a message ;) (Should I say sorry? :P 🇨🇦 )

There's indeed quite a difference across Canada. Even more in relation to language. Depending on which region you are from, you might be completely ignorant to what's being done in another. I'm from Montreal and I've been mainly working with french speakers. Because of that, the last tour I was on was limited to the East Coast. There's really a big wall between the two languages in the music business. There are some french speaking communities and areas in the west, but the cost and risks are too big for the prods to go there with the eastern artists. And vice-versa! We rarely receive Anglophones artists in Quebec too, unless they are already worldwide 😒

It's even worse in the country side. Montreal is like a different world from the rest of the province in terms of music. A lot more creation and diversity, but it sadly doesn't spread in the province. 

Reading back your message, I think it's actually kind of the same situation as in the States: some regions are more about original stuff and others about covers. I'm mainly aware of what's going on in Quebec, but it's a lot alike. Plus the fact that the business is saturated in offers vs demands, but that's another topic ;)

Anyway, thanks for the welcoming. I didn't know what to expect coming here, but I'm already starting to like it :) 

• Like 2

Welcome, Dave.  @Patchez is worth the effort it sometimes take to stay with him.  He sometimes appears to get sidetracked but almost always get back on track.  He's got train car loads of good info.  I'm still not sure why he keeps trying to help me out.  I'm just a wordsmith type of guy.  I can write lyrics to any melody (except chords).  Glad you joined.

BTW, I've got a half finished middle school book called The Canadian Exchange Student.

• Noob

@Mac Wilkey, no worries. I do enjoy some talk about the business or situations in people's area. It actually feel like a talk with a glass of scoth in a pub!

On 6/4/2020 at 3:59 PM, Mac Wilkey said:

BTW, I've got a half finished middle school book called The Canadian Exchange Student.

Did you learned something in there? :P

• Like 1