Your Ad Could Be Here

New Music Friday #21

Hi Gang

You guessed it.. it’s time for New Music Friday!

Please post up your current music projects. Anything from a melody, to a 1+1, through to a full production. Be as experimental as you want.

As is now my usual I will post up another 1 take song I recorded on my phone a little later. :)

Cheers

John

• Like 1

I can’t believe after a year or more, I’m starting a second lyric, I woke up singing the hook, “when you’re at the poison well, you must choose your poison well” and started working the lyric out.428B4711-FCD4-46AD-854C-C36BFA8DC6BB.thumb.jpeg.9a3b2b42aa3bafb414ccd18c0ce2bdec.jpeg

• Like 3

Hey

I started writing this on Tuesday. It’s still very rough, just a verse and chorus but It’s a wee experiment. The title is very much a working title. I had to call it something!

The chorus isn’t complete. I hate wasting song real estate! So I’ll probably change the lyrics for chorus line 3.

So far it doesn’t really reveal what it is about. I’m not going to tell you yet! It’s not a grand reveal or anything, but I want the song to reveal what it’s about, and I want the emotional journey/connection to be there. If I just say, it might rob the song of any power it might have.

Walk With Me

Verse

I watch TV just to feel

another moment passing blindly

It’s so unreal

I close my eyes and start to cry

Each shame I carry with me

Until I die

Chorus

A heart that’s bleeding passion

Walk with me now

A heart that’s bleeding passion

Walk with me

Cheers

John

• Like 2

1 hour ago, McnaughtonPark said:

I can’t believe after a year or more, I’m starting a second lyric, I woke up singing the hook, “when you’re at the poison well, you must choose your poison well” and started working the lyric out.428B4711-FCD4-46AD-854C-C36BFA8DC6BB.thumb.jpeg.9a3b2b42aa3bafb414ccd18c0ce2bdec.jpeg

Great to see your working process MP!

I’d love to see this as it evolves. What’s your next step?

• Like 2

I am looking at key words, so far dinosaur and well and finding rhymes.  Using a rhyming dictionary I go through and look for “others”.  What I mean is, if the work is dinosaur, I bypass the words door and for maybe war, and choose words like Singapore and uproar and Baltimore.  Other words which aren’t so quick and easy and boring and cliché and “not again” spoken in complete exasperation.

I need some more words of chance to direct the rhyme scheme.  By looking at the choices I made for possible paths, I’ll choose the other key words to find rhymes for them.  

that’s the immediate next step, more steps follow, like choosing the most interesting words, seeing if there are possible metaphors, etc.

• Like 2

I have no new music, however I did just have a new Blog post.

• Like 3

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CcG7Z4Yljn7/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I wrote this one today. Have never tried to share a video from Instagram on here, so hopefully it'll work okay!  If not oh well, I'll try again later maybe. 

• Like 2

I've had a long intense week, and will finally have some time free tomorrow and Sunday. I will post an update on my remix of Sevish's Some Things Must, & listen & comment on music in this thread. I am heartened to see this continuing.

• Like 1

@john You seriously don't hear the Thom York vibe in your work? My God, the search for the uncanny and beautiful in your songs is very striking. I love what you are doing.

• Like 1

@Emily Quinn Your piece made me cry. Your voice is so beautiful and the message here is so raw and honest. One of the things I love most about NMF is seeing artists really open up. It's such a privilege.

• Like 1

I've been working pretty intensely on a remix of Sevish's "Some Things Must," which I'm calling "Let's Begin." It's way over the top ATM, but it's such an honor to be working with his stems and I'm trying to honor his sense of largesse. Right now it's the top track on my working reel. I'll post newer versions tonight and tomorrow, after each session. I will be adding some rhythmic elements, a pad, and a lead, as well as dialing back some of the more isoteric delay elements.

https://play.reelcrafter.com/whoisthemuesk/musicistheriver

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steve Mueske said:

@john You seriously don't hear the Thom York vibe in your work? My God, the search for the uncanny and beautiful in your songs is very striking. I love what you are doing.

Thanks Steve. I wrote a lengthy reply exploring and explaining, but it read like pretentious drivel. Annoying when sincerity makes poop pies of your truth! I tried a briefer, less complete version. Same result, so…

To sum it up, the way you put your question lead me to explore my own thinking and journey. Yes there is something to what you say in terms of searching. Interesting!

3 hours ago, Steve Mueske said:

I've been working pretty intensely on a remix of Sevish's "Some Things Must," which I'm calling "Let's Begin." It's way over the top ATM, but it's such an honor to be working with his stems and I'm trying to honor his sense of largesse. Right now it's the top track on my working reel. I'll post newer versions tonight and tomorrow, after each session. I will be adding some rhythmic elements, a pad, and a lead, as well as dialing back some of the more isoteric delay elements.

https://play.reelcrafter.com/whoisthemuesk/musicistheriver

I’m intrigued. It’s early days, but I know you will devotedly carve something really great from this. Just now it still has to reveal it’s form. I’m looking forward to hearing more Steve.

16 hours ago, Emily Quinn said:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CcG7Z4Yljn7/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I wrote this one today. Have never tried to share a video from Instagram on here, so hopefully it'll work okay!  If not oh well, I'll try again later maybe. 

unfortunately it doesn’t embed Emily. I’ll see if there is a way to add support.

A nice piece again! A couple of weeks will go by and this will be gleaming. :)

We really should update your interview / feature and maybe do the same on our other sites over time?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, john said:

We really should update your interview / feature and maybe do the same on our other sites over time?

That would be great!  Just let me know what you need when you are ready.

I posted my second Blog entry for the week, Storytelling.

• Like 1

@john I’m totally heading Steve’s point about the Thom Yorke thing. There’s a something about the way that your chord progression and melody intersect. It’s like a deep voiced, cowboy Radiohead (in a good way). 

@Emily Quinn very good voice. Your performances have a weird, uncanny ability to draw the listener in. It’s captivating. 

@Steve Mueske I sent you my opinions via text. In short, it’s stupid good. 

• Like 2

Here’s something that I’ve been messing with. It’s rough and unfinished and may probably remain that way. I’ve been going down a goth/ darkwave/ ebm/ witch house rabbit hole and am trying to dip my toes into writing something depressing that pulls from a number of “dark” genres. 

It may be one for the trash bin, but I figure I’ll let you guys hear it first. 

Edited by john
Fixed a formatting issue
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, geographyhorse said:

Here’s something that I’ve been messing with. It’s rough and unfinished and may probably remain that way. I’ve been going down a goth/ darkwave/ ebm/ witch house rabbit hole and am trying to dip my toes into writing something depressing that pulls from a number of “dark” genres. 

It may be one for the trash bin, but I figure I’ll let you guys hear it first. 

Expand  

hey William

Wow. An interesting toe dip. For me it has a mix of a few genres going on, but a strong flavour of that post-punk early new romantic feel… New Order meets Joy Division and  The Damned, with some distinctly more modern elements. I like it!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Going over the notes from my Blog post of today I realized I had not copied two entire paragraphs so there is an updated version now.

• Like 1