• Pumpkin Seed
    • Standard
    • Triangular
    • whatever

You play 4 hour gigs?

I never played longer than 3 hrs.

these days its 2 hrs tops!

What sort of gigs do you do?

If you were talking to me I play 4 hour gigs at bars /pubs / local joints.   45 min sets until people stop tipping and the crowd dies down.

• 1 month later...

If you were talking to me I play 4 hour gigs at bars /pubs / local joints.   45 min sets until people stop tipping and the crowd dies down.

Even stranger.

Ive played pubs, clubs, bars, schools, church halls, weddings, beer festivals, outdoor events, dancehalls, hotels, theaters, public, private, charity, sponsored, free, fee, and much more, but no ones ever dropped a tip on any of us in 30 years.

I'm just bewildered by what you're saying. Do you get paid as well?

Even stranger.

Ive played pubs, clubs, bars, schools, church halls, weddings, beer festivals, outdoor events, dancehalls, hotels, theaters, public, private, charity, sponsored, free, fee, and much more, but no ones ever dropped a tip on any of us in 30 years.

I'm just bewildered by what you're saying. Do you get paid as well?

Yes I get paid anywhere from around 100-200$ a night. I usually don't play unless i'm paid something. some places I play for free because the owners are friends and  the place is close and the tips are good (100+ a night) Yes I put out a tip jar yes people put money into it.  I usually get anywhere from 25-150$ in tips. But I live in a tourist destination that is laid back a rural on the coast of Florida. People come here fro the local scene (and the beaches). They are here on vacation and expect to spend money. Tips are only real good during the summer months though.

Also I'm VERY bewildered by the fact that you have played pubs, clubs, bars, schools, church halls, weddings, beer festivals, outdoor events, dancehalls, hotels, theaters, public, private, charity, sponsored, free, fee, and much more and have never gotten a single tip in 30 years? What town do you live in? Mr. Burnes' mansion from the simpsons perhaps?

Edited by macmanmatty

I play in and around Southampton, Portsmouth, Winchester and elsewhere in and about the New Forrest, Hampshire & Dorset.

I suppose it must be a cultural difference?

The only people I know who play for handouts are buskers in public places.

i don't play for hand outs but I don't have problems with politely asking for them. I believe get all you can from your gigs / songs.

Edited by macmanmatty

• 3 weeks later...

I ussualy use picks that are heavy and bright :) I like heavy for the main reason that it wont wear off or break so easily...its just me...like bright orange and green...but picks with grip can be useful and a plus..lol I like different shaped picks too but it depends all on if they work with me...

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a bag of 1000 thin celluloid picks off of Ebay for $7.00 I break about 1 a week so that's about 20 years worth.

I also buy a 12 pack of Fender thin or mediums once in a while.

I've been playing so long the thickness doesn't matter any more but I do prefer the sound of the celluloid to plastic.

I used to use Mel Bay picks that had a no slip grit on them (kind of like Dunlop) I would use the grit side on some parts of solos to get a scratchy sound. Jimmy Page used to use them as well. They quit makin them, bummed me out.

Edited by EJB

• 1 month later...