Your Ad Could Be Here

What Software Do You Use?

I am a cheapskate so up until recently used Kristal (free download) and free vst's only. A while ago bought Reaper and like ti very much, and have tried out Studio One (very good).

All of them do the job for me as I use very few effects and no midi.

Favourite vst's are:

• Classic Series - EQ, Limiter, Reverb
  • Modern Series - EQ, Compressor
  • Glaceverb - Reverb
  • Simulanalog Guitar Suite (Fender Twin is very good)
  • Greasetube - Amp Sim

As I don't use midi, vsti's are a bit of a mystery, but I still haven't use more than 10% of the potential available in what I already use.

Reaper is just about the smallest DAW ever! Very full featured and easy to use.

Agree 100percent superb piece of software, superb price.

Cakewalk Guitar Track Pro 4 - $100

• 3 months later...

Steven Aram is dead right I I use Mixcraft 5 and it is the easiest recording studio that I have ever had editing is easy recording is great and with a number of effects also it has digital recording with a lot of different instruments and you don't need a

keyboard you can use your computers keyboard and you can download and trial for free but the latest version is Mixcraft 6 I have trialed it and it is better then Mixcraft 5 here is the link.enjoy. I think it is for Windows only and Youtube has a lot of instructional videos on how to use it which makes operating it a snack.

Michael

PS Any questions just ask and I will try and help.

Youtube address

http://www.youtube.com/user/acoustica222/videos?view=0

Acoustica free download

http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/download.htm

• 1 month later...

I use reason 6 and have been using reason since version one i used to use it in conjunction with Cubase but since reason record came out i find that using reason with record iscan ideal way to get my ideas down and tweak them to get them how i want them. Also i use an external sound card and a variety of mics, guitar and bass, currently testing the beta version of reason seven and with the added midi out im looking forward to hooking up some synths :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I use Digital Performer 7 with a MOTU 828mk3 firewire interface. I rewire Reason 4 into for drums and some synth/piano sounds  in the Reason Abbey Roads Keyboards refill.

I also have a few waves plugins for eq, verb and compression/limiters and I really like the nomad factory plugins for a more vintage tubey sound.

I mix all in the box.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Noob

I use FL Studio 10 (almost 11) Producer Edition Signature Bundle with ALL plugins bundle these days..
I was first introduced to Music making on Computers since 1996, I used programs such as Cubase 1.1 and Studio 4 Windows which was a MIDI notator program

I've tried all the other DAWS in subsequent years, like Reason, newer versions of Cubase Reaper, Ableton Live, Studio One, Mulab. but nothing else has done it for me since I discovered FL Studio..

With FL Studio, You get Lifetime FREE updates on both the program and VST instruments you purchase, its easy on the eyes and has a fast workflow which enables you

to write a decent song within a few hours. I'm a keyboard player and use a pro Korg keyboard which is now used as a controller for FL Studio.. If you're interested, i can provide a 10% discount through my affiliate link, send us a msg and i'll post you the link. I highly recommend it..

currently using Finale! for digital composition software, and audacity for recording.

• 4 weeks later...

As an aspiring music producer, I use Audacity and Linnux Multimedia Studio. I know, the first of the two is pretty controversial, but to each his own I guess. Using these two software programs in tandem really help expand my sound a lot...and it gives me a bundle of options to choose from. My production style and approach is a little unorthodox, and as a result my music comes out that way. At the end of the day, I just try to make music that reflects who I am as a person, and I feel that right now(considering that I'm flat broke) these two free and legally intended to be free programs help me achieve that purpose.

I use Guitar Pro 5 and Guitar Pro 6 because I mainly want/need notating software. (I find GP5 easier to actually write, but GP6 is better for producing a MIDI file.I record with Audacity, mainly because I only record rough demos and send these to demo producers as I'm not as good a guitarist as I'd like to be, and send my shower cold when I sing in it.

I have used Mixcraft (6) and Pro Sonus 2 (free version) but to be honest, I'd rather do what I know, than learn how to use a fully fledged DAW properly. I don't want to be a producer, and recognise my own limitations as a performer. I use Audacity to record my vocals, and I still don't know what all the effects do, and I'm not into experimentation for it's own reward.

I post my GP MIDIs to my soundcloud account, and from all the "listens" I've only received 1 negative comment about posting a midi file. I explain why I do, I guess, so that alleviates a lot of possible derisive comments. I still gather new followers every week though.

Cheers,

Kel

• 1 month later...
  • Noob

Hello all. I have been using Mixcraft  and Busker since about 2004.I use mixcraft more for building and Busker for the accompaniment parts, which I isolate and convert to wavs. I have an awful time with timing though, and using that stretch thing drives me nuts. I was wondering if anyone could take the track and stick it in their program and fix it. ;

Coolgabby

Hi- I'm using Digital Performer 8 on an IMAC with I7 processor, 2.93 GHZ, 2TB hard Drive, 500GB Solid State Drive, 16 Ram

I use Apple's LogicPro.

(But I'd like to add that it's about 1000 times more powerful than anyone needs to make beautiful music. That can be done with an old cassette recorder.) 

I use PRO-TOOLS straight up, nothing else.  I love the software and it is very easy to learn, however I am still just scratching the surface of what the software can do.

Here is a link to my songs.

http://www.reverbnation.com/johnnystraws

I still need some work with mixing but am getting there.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

~Johnny

I'm embarrassingly a bit of a software collector, though I'm definitely managing to wean myself off this addiction and am finally learning how to use it all (mostly because I don't have the gig income that I used to have!).

A full list of what I'm currently using...  http://studiobeemusic.com/?page_id=7

R.

FL Studio 11.
I tried producing with Ableton and I just didn't connect with it.

I really have the ins-and-outs of FL Studio burned into my brain.

Bonus: I use a ton of VST/VSTi plugins, THOUSANDS of soundfonts and a bunch of effects.

I use PRO-TOOLS straight up, nothing else.  I love the software and it is very easy to learn, however I am still just scratching the surface of what the software can do.

Here is a link to my songs.

http://www.reverbnation.com/johnnystraws

I still need some work with mixing but am getting there.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

~Johnny

Hey Johnny, I checked out your stuff.

I think it sounds really good.

A few things:

* You should sing with more... grunge. Not all the time, but in some parts. Just growl a little while you sing. You have the voice for it.

* The guitar sounds a little fake/over-effected/too mastered. Maybe less mastering, more raw guitar.

* You need better pictures of yourself, that one picture doesn't do you justice. Get a friend to get a sick pic of you from their iPhone or something. Image is a lot in the music industry.

EDIT: "Help Me" is pretty catchy.

Edited by AnotherLostKing