Your Ad Could Be Here

Challenge #14 It's All About The Hook (Almost)

Hi gang

Another team write challenge for you this week. I say week, but this is actually a two parter and will run for 4 weeks.

Week 1: write the lyrics, two team members from our group

Week 2-4: pitch your song via forum topics to our community with the aim of getting your song recorded. This should mean the melody is either written entirely by the member outside the group, or at least partly.

To do this you will need to both pitch to them and use your judgement to select the most likely candidate to give you the best result. I am sure other members of the board will be willing to help.

The finished songs will then be posted for the general membership to vote for, including promotion of the songs and the vote in the community newsletter!

So these songs need to be good. If you do them well enough there is the possibility that, as the performer will be collaborating on the write, that they may well want to keep the song in their set.

The purpose here is serious writing collaboration towards an end goal.

Lyrically your challenge is to write a song where:

The main lyrical hook line is sung at least twice during the chorus. It can be first and last, last two, first two or any other layout you want with the exception that your chorus cannot be just that Line repeated with no other.

AABB and ABAB rhyme schemes are NOT ALLOWED during the verses at any stage. (you can use them as part of the chorus).

Thematically the only restriction is that of time passing. Ie your lyric has to cover not only different times (cold be years, could be minutes) but convey the passing of time.

Topic wise and genre wise it is up to you. :)

This challenge should not only get you thinking about collaborating to a high standard, but also at writing with a view to a very tangible end goal. That's good real world practice... And a good warm up for an UPCOMING (ie NOT THIS CHALLENGE) real world challenge that will see those who accept the mission writing for a known real world, main stream artist of your own choice, preparing and pitching your lyrics/song to them, in the real world. (Don't worry, this I will give support for, plus, you can always use a pen name if you are concerned about contaminating your brand!) with the aim of having them record your song. Whether they do or not is less important than the very real feeling that you will be writing for a real purpose in a way that you can truly learn from the experience, and who knows, perhaps open a door or yourself as a writer. Bear in mind that my choices in challenges are always about expanding the tools in your toolkit, and that includes very real purposes and goals as that can affect your writing massively! It's amazing that little bit of foreknowledge of purpose can do!

Anyway, that challenge will not be next week or the week after, but it will be upcoming and I know you could all do well at it.

We have a great community out there, capable of doing some great things.

So pair up, and get writing and auditioning. Set the quality bar to it's MAX for this. Great lyrics, great melodies and recordings (when the time comes) too.

I'm looking forward to the entries for this week's challenge!

Ps, there will be a writing challenge for you next week and it will be a liberating one. Great fun too I hope.

PPS have you noticed I've started to give you teasers? Lol

Hi Gang,

I love the sound of this challenge, but TODAY, Saturday, I don't know if I can participate. I start my course tomorrow, and I don't know how much time I'll have for this challenge and I don't want to not do my best effort.

If I think I can manage the time, I'll advise in this forum. Else, wow, who said it hasn't been challenging so far?

Good luck to all,

Kel

Hi Gang,

I love the sound of this challenge, but TODAY, Saturday, I don't know if I can participate. I start my course tomorrow, and I don't know how much time I'll have for this challenge and I don't want to not do my best effort.

If I think I can manage the time, I'll advise in this forum. Else, wow, who said it hasn't been challenging so far?

Good luck to all,

Kel

But but....I wanted to you and I to work together...pretty please...with sugar on top?

Hi gang

Another team write challenge for you this week. I say week, but this is actually a two parter and will run for 4 weeks.

Week 1: write the lyrics, two team members from our group

Week 2-4: pitch your song via forum topics to our community with the aim of getting your song recorded. This should mean the melody is either written entirely by the member outside the group, or at least partly.

To do this you will need to both pitch to them and use your judgement to select the most likely candidate to give you the best result. I am sure other members of the board will be willing to help.

The finished songs will then be posted for the general membership to vote for, including promotion of the songs and the vote in the community newsletter!

So these songs need to be good. If you do them well enough there is the possibility that, as the performer will be collaborating on the write, that they may well want to keep the song in their set.

The purpose here is serious writing collaboration towards an end goal.

Lyrically your challenge is to write a song where:

The main lyrical hook line is sung at least twice during the chorus. It can be first and last, last two, first two or any other layout you want with the exception that your chorus cannot be just that Line repeated with no other.

AABB and ABAB rhyme schemes are NOT ALLOWED during the verses at any stage. (you can use them as part of the chorus).

Thematically the only restriction is that of time passing. Ie your lyric has to cover not only different times (cold be years, could be minutes) but convey the passing of time.

Topic wise and genre wise it is up to you. :)

This challenge should not only get you thinking about collaborating to a high standard, but also at writing with a view to a very tangible end goal. That's good real world practice... And a good warm up for an UPCOMING (ie NOT THIS CHALLENGE) real world challenge that will see those who accept the mission writing for a known real world, main stream artist of your own choice, preparing and pitching your lyrics/song to them, in the real world. (Don't worry, this I will give support for, plus, you can always use a pen name if you are concerned about contaminating your brand!) with the aim of having them record your song. Whether they do or not is less important than the very real feeling that you will be writing for a real purpose in a way that you can truly learn from the experience, and who knows, perhaps open a door or yourself as a writer. Bear in mind that my choices in challenges are always about expanding the tools in your toolkit, and that includes very real purposes and goals as that can affect your writing massively! It's amazing that little bit of foreknowledge of purpose can do!

Anyway, that challenge will not be next week or the week after, but it will be upcoming and I know you could all do well at it.

We have a great community out there, capable of doing some great things.

So pair up, and get writing and auditioning. Set the quality bar to it's MAX for this. Great lyrics, great melodies and recordings (when the time comes) too.

I'm looking forward to the entries for this week's challenge!

Ps, there will be a writing challenge for you next week and it will be a liberating one. Great fun too I hope.

PPS have you noticed I've started to give you teasers? Lol

John,

Out there in the forums, I already have some members that I've worked with and working with right now. Can I capatalize on my previous connections? and if this is a four week challenge are we really going to have a writing challenge next week too?

:-)

Edited by lguzda

I don't mind who I pair with this time. I got my own way before.

or,

If there is an odd number, I don't mind being left out. No seriously :). I am here to help only. I'm not even competitive; though I pay lip service to it sometimes.

:whistle:

Too complicated for me, I don't even understand what John posted. So I'm out,  I'll just observe and see what I can learn from the challenge. 

Goldy :hammer:  :guitar:  :vuur1:  :tt1::rockon:  . 

I don't mind who I pair with this time. I got my own way before.

or,

If there is an odd number, I don't mind being left out. No seriously :). I am here to help only. I'm not even competitive; though I pay lip service to it sometimes.

:whistle:

Rudi, I have some ideas if you like them I'd like to pair up with you!

Lisa

Too complicated for me, I don't even understand what John posted. So I'm out,  I'll just observe and see what I can learn from the challenge. 

awww, take it one step at a time. I had to write it down and that helped me break it down. I guess wait and see. You should still help critique the group though...

For me this is a challenge of setting goals and moving forward on them.

I took a local songwriting workshop and I learned collaborating is the way to go!

Chat soon,

Lisa

Can I help with explaining any part of it? At least then you will be able to accept or reject the challenge for what it is. :)

Plus, you would be working with other members (of this group and external to the group), and the idea here is that you work together towards a goal.

The writing bit is pretty straight forward:

Your "hook line" must happen more than once in the chorus, but your chorus cannot only be that line repeated, you must have at least one other line that is not a hook line. For example:

Stay with me baby <- Hook Line

I feel so alone

I'm lost on my own

This is OK

I feel so alone

I'm lost on my own

This is OK

This is NOT OK

If you are not sure what a hook is, gimme a shout and I will find an article about it, although there is at least one post about it in my blogspot blog.

---------------------------------------

Verses cannot include AABB or ABAB Rhyme Scheme. This refers to the end of line rhyme sounds.:

I can't quite see <- A

What it should mean to me <- A

I'm not even sure it's wise <- B

'cos at times like these she flies <- B

In the example A refers to the "ee" sound, while B refers to the "ize" sound.

I can't quite see <- A

What it should mean to me <- A

Whereas, you could do ABCB

I can't quite see <- A

I can't even hear a sound <- C

This last includes a new end of line sound, "ound", labelled as "C"

In terms of the theme I mean time passing as in:

Verse 1: About The Past

Verse 2: Set In The Present

Verse 3: Is About The Future

That's the lyrics writing part of the challenge over.

This has to be complete by next week, as usual. This is why there will be another writing challenge next week.

Part 2 of the challenge is to work with a writer external to our group who is capable of writing the melody, and should at least write some of the melody (ie you can input to the melody write, but not write it all)

You sould then get the result recorded. If you cannot do so, then hopefully your melody writer will be able to do so. If not, see if you can find another member willing to record your song for you.

In 4 weeks the resulting songs will be voted for in a poll open to all our site members to vote in.

This part of the challenge is about being part of a team seeing the write through to the recording and simlpe release stage. It is about building your experience of working with other writers, musicians etc. It is about writing a SUCCESSFUL song, where, for the purpose of this contest, success relates to the poll.

I hope that makes it clearer. I am happy to clear up any further confusion. :)

John,

Out there in the forums, I already have some members that I've worked with and working with right now. Can I capatalize on my previous connections? and if this is a four week challenge are we really going to have a writing challenge next week too?

:-)

Yes you can work with previous contacts.

As the lyrics part of the challenge has to be posted by next week the lyrics write will pretty well be over by then. that is why there is another challenge next week.

Lastly, although the lyrics have to be posted by next week they do not need to be set in stone, that is simply your full-draft-deadline. ie, if the song nees you to change the lyrics for the song to work, you can change them. :)

Yes you can work with previous contacts.

As the lyrics part of the challenge has to be posted by next week the lyrics write will pretty well be over by then. that is why there is another challenge next week.

Lastly, although the lyrics have to be posted by next week they do not need to be set in stone, that is simply your full-draft-deadline. ie, if the song nees you to change the lyrics for the song to work, you can change them. :)

cool! thanx

Okay John, I understand now, I think Les, is the only one available, if he wants

to give it a shot, I'm willing too. Thanks for your encouragement and explanation.

Okay Les, if you would like to attempt this, we can pair up. You can lead in this

challenge.

Goldy

Edited by goldylocks

I'm in Goldy, I actually thought you n Lisa were going to pair for some reason.

I am as knowledgable as you on this so we can only do what we think is best.

Les

Les, any questions doubts just ask. if I can help i will,the same goes for any of the group. :)

Okay, Les, thanks for the vote of confidence, PM me and will brain storm over what to write on.  I did write the theme for the blues song and the title, , so I'm not completely without a clue. Lol. 

Goldy   :drums:  :note:  :guitarplay1: .

Edited by goldylocks
  • Like 1

I'm like you Les, the song Somewhere, that won the song contest, was recorded by someone who randomly picked my lyrics off this site, who is not a member. So let's take it one step at a time. The only other contact I have, is a good friend who is a professional song writer, and looks for people to put music to her lyrics also.  

Goldy  :note:  :hammer:  :guitarplay2:  

There is no prize, other than learning and experience, and that's a pretty good prize if you ask me :)

Oh and if any of you cannot find a writing partner within the group, please feel free to find two outwith the group. I don't have time myself but perhaps I can help find members who would be willing to take part? Just hit me up if you need my help.

Hi Guys,

I have completed my assignment and all my reading for the course, so I'll take the plunge and join in if anyone wants me.

John, is there anyone specific you'd rather me team up with? Otherwise I'll join Lisa and Rudi, as Lisa did say she wanted to team up.

Kel for hire!

(Cheap. Real cheap!)

Edited by Kel

Hi Guys,

I have completed my assignment and all my reading for the course, so I'll take the plunge and join in if anyone wants me.

John, is there anyone specific you'd rather me team up with? Otherwise I'll join Lisa and Rudi, as Lisa did say she wanted to team up.

Kel for hire!

(Cheap. Real cheap!)

Oh what fun! Can we?!!!