Your Ad Could Be Here

Challenge #28 The Bigger They Are....

The Harder They Fall

Hi Gang

Your mission, should you choose to accept it is to select someone, or something, that seemed unassailable, a household name, at their peak, and describe the cataclysmic turn of events that brought them low.

Make no mistake, your lyrics should be about the fall, not the recovery

It should be dark.

The darker the better.

This is not for a summer market.

As said, your song could be about an individual, group of people or an organisation or business.

The subject has to be based on a real individual, group or organisation, and real events.

I look forward to some excellent entries!

This mission will self destruct 6 days from now....

Cheers

John

Your mission, should you choose to accept it is to select someone, or something, that seemed unassailable, a household name, at their peak, and describe the cataclysmic turn of events that brought them low.

I really don't understand this... can someone help me out?

A "well known" name, famous, a big name, known in most homes - household = home

• Like 1

You mean like Dave Koresh of Waco Texas? That kind of dark.? He certainly was a household name as well as Jim Jones. of the Jones town massacre.

Goldy :jumping38:  :jumping38:  

I was thinking more that the lyrics themselves could be dark in several ways

Emotion

Perspective

Language

The situation

The net result of what happens

Any or all of the above could give the lyrics a dark feel... Ie it is more about the lyrics being dark, than what you write about.... Although admittedly it is likely to have a bearing on how dark they feel.

John, I posted a video linked to my lyrics, as that okay? If not I'll take it off. I just wanted to show this is a real group of people.

http://forums.songstuff.com/topic/35474-nothing-can-harm-us-they-cry/

Goldy :luxhello:  :luxhello:

Your mission, should you choose to accept it is to select someone, or something, that seemed unassailable, a household name, at their peak, and describe the cataclysmic turn of events that brought them low.

I really don't understand this... can someone help me out?

As an example, Elvis Presley. He was certainly an A List celebrity in an age before we had A Lists and he was certainly on top of the world and a household name. However his constant battle with prescription medicines and banana fritters brought him to ruin.

More recently, Amy Winehouse may be an example of self destructiveness.

OJ Simpson - well he may no longer have been a household name but he certainly became one.

I recently read of the demise of a guy named John Cave... okay nobody knows that name, but we was almost the lead singer of AC/DC (instead of Bon Scott) and he had a couple of hit records down here in Australia under a stage name until he ... well thereby hangs a story!

• Like 1

John Cave wasn't that unknown, though he certainly never had the level of fame as AC/DC.

The vid is perfectly ok. It's good to hear the a finished piece. As there is no real element of contest this time, it is more a challenge for yourself, it's not going to influence voting

I think you may be thinking of Nick Cave, of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. He has made a name for himself.

I don't think they are related but the guy I was talking about had fleeting success in the mid 70s and was never heard from again.

Kel

Nope I was thinking of John Cave, aka William Shakespeare, though I think he had other aliases. Sang glam rock. I didn't know of the AC/DC connection or if I did I had blocked it out. Maybe it was because I have two older sisters who like unearthing singers other people hadn't heard of. Lol not that I could have told you his songs or how long a career he had. I have a vague recollection of him singing with a stick mic glammed up. From what I remember of his music, I am sooooo glad AC/DC went with Bon Scott :)

yep that's him. He recorded one album, (most songs written my Harry Vanda & George Young (Easybeats) had 2 singles that went to #1 and then slept with a 15yo fan club member and the record company dropped him.

Sang at pubs and clubs under his real name for a while and ended up homeless and living in a sports venue's ticket booth. Was found by a rock and roll do gooder and helped out some what but he died an old and lonely man.

Rock and roll ain't always glitz and glamour!