Your Ad Could Be Here

whos your favorite singer and WHY!!??

Hey

I'm a big soul vocal fan, but let me qualify that. I mean older soul, not the modern "pop dressed as soul". Some of my selection is more based on vocal, some on the lyrics, fewer on both! So here they are in no particular order...

Otis Redding

Smokey Robinson

David Crosby

Sandy Denny

Roy Harper

Alison Krauss

Kate Bush

Thom Yorke

Beth Gibbons

Paul Rogers

Robert Plant

Roger Daltrey

Rod Stewart

and just to fly in the face of expectation:

John Lydon (In his early days with the Sex Pistols)

Cheers

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

John Lydon - You are winding us up, right?

John Lydon - You are winding us up, right?

Nope, wanna know why?

Yes please!

His voice was exactly right for the music

Their Music and lyrics were cornerstones of a generation

I liked them

zat ok?

:)

I liked them

zat ok?

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ANGER IS AN ENERGY!!!!

see i do listen to strange cr*p... :D

i like the sex pistols ..but now it's time to shock!!

my fav vocalist...........JOE COCKER!!

and not forgetting the ladies...TINA TURNER!!

raw emotion

[smiley=vocals.gif]

I liked them

I know exactly what you're talking about, John.

Dig it: I loved the Sex Pistols and punk as a whole in all its brief blossoming; It had a power and honesty; It had a huge "f*ck-you" quality that was just right for the times; It was the authentic expression of broad popular alienation; Revolutionary aspects (however short-lived and impotent) were made more refreshing for it; It had an enormous impact on the broader areas of comunications arts; It was culturally significant.

Where we probably differ is that I cannot stand listening to it.

I sincerely dig it being there and having happened, as a genuine and valid art-movement in and of its time and place - but I see no reason for subjecting my ears and tender sensitivities to the actual sonic experience.

Early 20th century Dadaism had a ferocious energy about it, too, just like punk. The other profound similarity from where I'm standing, is that the destructive motivations of nihilism at its core, just like punk, means essentially that it can never leave behind any artifacts of beauty. Its value and impact issue from the making of the statement pure and simple and not from the making of anything concrete of any intrinsic merit. The intent and the shock is all there is. And the rest is empty. I mean, I love the fact that some Italian dada guy used to exhibit and sell "Merde D'Artiste" - but there's no way I'm really interested in actually owning a matchbox size package of the man's poop. Like punk, it'a one of the great triumphs of concept and over content.

Alienation and anger make strong statements alright - but for me, rage has zip! to do with the art of music.

Now - nobody wanted to hear any of that, did they?

Lazz!

You are so eloquent in your postings, it feels like you are one of the most prolific contributors here on songstuff. Glancing at your post count is a surprise! Only 156?

I think we should award you an honourary 1000 post count for being the most prolific minimalist!

Back to the topic:

I agree to an extent about Punk. It was indeed a corner turned, but some carried straight on and didn't turn the corner. As stated in an earlier post, pop music of today is generaly bland and lifeless. Is this the result of turning the corner or travelingstraight on? I remember at the time of the punk revolution, I was utterly devoid of any feeling for this 'Music'. I always considered myself to be a bit of a rebel, but I could NOT connect with punk untill years later when it was all over bar the shouting. The Sex Pistols were a bunch of morons as far as I was concerned and I still feel that way about them now. Although I do think they were 'of their time'. My tastes in music have grown considerably since then, and I will quite happily listen to anything! And I hope that I would give it a fair assesment.

Alienation and anger make strong statements alright - but for me, rage has zip! to do with the art of music.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I beg to differ:

I Rage

ANGER IS AN ENERGY!!!!

see i do listen to strange cr*p... :D

i like the sex pistols ..but now it's time to shock!!

my fav vocalist...........JOE COCKER!!

and not forgetting the ladies...TINA TURNER!!

raw emotion

[smiley=vocals.gif]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that Johnny Rotten did what he did well - my school band, The Rancid Vicars, covered a couple of Pistols songs (Submission and...er....no, it's gone...jeez, it was a long time ago) though I could never emulate his delivery. I wouldn't rank hm among my fave vocalists, though. But I chose Lemmy, so what do I know?

Nige

Joe Cocker is awesome - just a shame he does so many cover versions though. There's no shock there. Same goes for Tina Turner. Both great singers. Better than me, that's for sure.

Lazz!

You are so eloquent in your postings, it feels like you are one of the most prolific contributors here on songstuff. Glancing at your post count is a surprise! Only 156?

I think we should award you an honourary 1000 post count for being the most prolific minimalist!

Gee.

Feels like I've been getting a lot of compliments around here lately.

Thanks, Steve. Sometimes It seems an enormous struggle to make any sense at all, so I try and limit communication to when I have something to say. I must admit, an earlier sentiment of yours regarding the lovely and talented Tracey Emin was not far from my mind when tossing in that reference to nihilism. (And it's good that if I think you are reading I can feel more confident about the lack of irony emoticons at my disposal.)

I beg to differ:

I Rage

Ah, John...

Soundclick didn't respond well to me, so I didn't get to remind myself of that song of yours.

But I did get to read the lyrics again. And it seems to me they are also the product of care and attention. Different from rage per se.

Even though your rage is what it's about.

Plus, without wanting to come across as too w*nkily pretentious, I was trying to reference "the art of music" - accumulated centuries of profound work and tradition from serious heavyweight artistic giants as opposed to the disposable culture of Billboard's Top 100. There is a difference. Rage has a purpose and a message and a consequence, alright, but that don't make it art. Has to have passion. Has to have meaning. Got to have love in it.

For me, see, art is all.

Ok.

So it is w*nkily pretentious

But I don't see a point otherwise.

Personally.

• 9 months later...
well... BEING AN ELUSIVE POST AS iz... WHY NOT try a S***load of PAUL RODGERS... one of the BEST IN THE BUSINESS?

My buddy just saw him as the frontman for Queen. He said it was great! "Best show he's ever seen"

H

Paul Rogers. Fantastic. I thought he was great, particularly with Free.

Dino Valenti : Rock - For all his faults, he has a delivery that cconnects.

Anita O'Day : Jazz - Incredible improviser. Her 'Tea For Two' sounds like she is juggling with the fragments of the shattered song.

June Tabor : Folk - A chilling sombre voice.

• 2 weeks later...

a person favourite of mine has to be paul rodgers (free + bad company) - he has a great power to his voice which manages the harder rock style and also can cope with ballad style songs.

other favourites include - jj cale becasue of the smooth huskyness of his voice and robert plant coz that man can wail!

Emmylou Harris brings me to the edge of tears everytime I hear her sing. There is an abundance of lonesomeness and sweetness in her voice that I have never heard elsewhere.

Also, the late, great Johnny Cash. Such a powerful, vulnerable, intimate, Soulful voice is rare.

Janis Joplin for her sheer intensity, presence, and greatness.

Edited by phantomengineer

Guest voclizr

My favorite male singer has always been Levi Stubbs (4 Tops). I love the emotion he puts into his performances. He dosen't sing it, he LIVES it! I also like Nat King Cole for the soothing quality in his voice, and Frank Sinatra, cause he made it sound EASY!

John B.