Your Ad Could Be Here

whos your favorite singer and WHY!!??

For me Lana Del Rey (female) because I like the way she conveys emotion in her voice and her overall tone and timbre Johnny Cash (male) because his voice sounds really steady and strong in its own way.

• 2 weeks later...

David Gray - His entire 'White Ladder" album was done with no auto-tune

Norah Jones - Classic and jazzy. A beautiful voice that can work with alot of different styles of music

John Lennon - Made you feel every word he sang. Funny thing is, he hated his own voice. He was always telling his producers to put reverb and more EQ on his voice because he hated it so much

actually i should clarify.. singer/lyricist - why do you like his her voice/lyrics?

Ahh... Singer AND lyricist! Well, that's a very different question than the heading.

Gotta go with Joni Mitchell then... Peerless lyrics, great vocals... And as a bonus, superior melodies, top-shelf production values, surprising cameo appearances... I could go on an' on...

An easy way to think of it is this. Who's voice would I like to have...

And the answer is Stevie Wonder or Ronald Isley, I think.

GREAT picks! Two of my absolute favorites...

I'll say Frank Sinatra. Everytime I listen to the depth of his voice,it just feels good! Another nice voice is a female jazz singer called Gretchen Parlato,check this song out-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBTfvkvy4tM

Wow... I'm listening to this and I'd love to get into the singer's voice but...

That is probably the worst use of a sidestick I have ever heard in my life! And it gets WORSE near the end, when the drummer actually starts doing sidestick FLAMS!!! Whoever's idea it was to go that route... MASSIVE failure, IMO... 

• Editors

I found it perfect for the feel of the song actually. lol opinions I guess. :)

BTW, One of my most favorite bands, The Reign of Kindo have released a new record called "Play with Fire". I love all the songs in it. They've turned a little more progressive but the essence stays. Here's a live session of one of those songs. (BTW He's turning out to be the more favorite vocalist for me after I've heard the new record, hence the post)

• 2 weeks later...

John Martyn, the master... my favourite singer. I can't think of anyone else who put so much emotion in and still sounded so melodic. Singing from the depths of the soul. Raw soul. A great singer has to move you.... you can't learn this stuff.

Not many words in this... it doesn't matter, the words hardly matter .... true genius, sadly missed.

David, I'm really happy that you can hear some of his influence in my stuff. I listen to him more than anyone so I suppose it leaks in, though I'm surprised it comes through.

I recommend all his work, and there's a lot from his first album in 1967 to his death 4 years ago... but if you like this one try the 'One World' and 'Solid Air' albums. He was ahead of his time for sure.

My favourite singer at the time is Ed Sheeran.
For the last 3 months I'm driving my boyfriend crazy with putting his music on ever day.
'Cause normally it's only metal that fills my house :P

Why? He achieved so many allready at such young age.
He has a wonderfull voice, such amazing lyrics and plays gituar.
He has been my inspiration to start following my dreams. So I just started writing, posted some stuff up here and bought myself a guitar.
If he can make his dreams come true, maybe I can to :)
Never getting tired of his music because he can do different styles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8cADX87-2I

I honestly couldn't call between Brian Fallon and Amy Lee. Amy for her astounding voice control, as exemplified by this note right here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtiqIu8KsyQ#t=2m20s

...and Fallon for what has to be one of the best rock and roll voices in half a century. He outbossed the Boss, Bruce Springsteen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1rTI0oCe0E#t=1m59s

Edited by James Austin

• 1 month later...

If I had to pick an absolute favorite, as in could start a band tomorrow or had listen to sing everyday, I would pick Peter Murphy of Bauhaus/solo artist fame. Bauhau's first album In The Flat Field pretty much changed me forever and part of my love for it is finding that deep, resonant and then piercing voice of his take you into the soul. His voice (not unlike Bowie's) then ranged from effete pleading, to handsome lulls, to oversexed banshee wails but no matter how he sung you could hear the unique, the ethereal and, as especially noticeable in his solo efforts, those baritone croons became so lush and intimate. To top things off the man was strikingly beautiful, just gorgeous in my opinion. Still is... He didn't become a technically sound singer until later but the voice was always there.

Runner-ups (just because there are so many great vocalists out there)

Till Lindemann - Rammstein: Pure power; and the theatrics he provides vocally is often overlooked. And powerful lyrics to match the voice.

Mark Burgess - The Chameleons: There are plenty of vocalists with emotion but none do it with the urgency that he does, the cry for escape, but also the cry that his voice will be heard. And as the catalyst in the chameleons he also provided some of the more memorable and moving lyrics and phrasing in rock.

Roger Daltrey - The Who: He is the voice of rock music. No doubt in mind. (Robert Plant who?)

Pete Townshend - The Who: Overlooked because he's no Daltrey but he has a beautiful voice.

Ian Curtis - Joy Division: Wrenching lyrics and utter despair were never captured so well in one vocalist.

Shirley Manson - Garbage: Sexy, intelligent, with range to boot. Maybe the sexiest voice in rock, imo.

Otis Redding - Was blown away when I first heard "Sitting at the Dock of the Bay", his voice absolutely takes you away.

Al Green - Silky doesn't even begin to describe...

• 2 weeks later...

Al Jarreau: He sings perfect and brakes the taboos with his own improv tone and style. Listen to his "your song" cover. Michael Jackson: An extreme versatility, sense of style. Incredible voice.

Laura Branigan: Beautiful voice, she does what it takes to make the listener feel the song. (Listen the power of love cover.)

Pure voice - Barbra Streisand and Michael McDonald

Voice/Lyrics - David Bowie and Stevie Nicks

Honourable mentions - Bono (U2) Gregg Alexander (New Radicals) Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins)

Just so much more great music goes unmentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't just pick one. So here is a list.

Josh Homme- Mostly because he isnt really a singer. He just makes his voice work for the music. That makes him unique.

Jeff Buckley- His range and willingness to take chances.

Freddy Mercury- His range and willingness to take chances.

Justin Hawkins- He's fun to listen to and fun to sing along with.

Daniel Johns- Because it's soft and cozy.

Dolly Parton, Carrie Underwood, Allan Jackson and Kacey Musgraves. Kacey's vocals are very simple and captivating. I could listen to her cd all day. And I do, for the most part :)

Hi gang Brian here. I think my favourite singer would be the late Ronnie James Dio for his unbelievable power, and his lyrics. When asked where he got his lyrics from he replied "I saw them in a dream" 

With a honesty I would also have to mention Freddy Mercury, who needs no explanation as to why.

Well just my opinion

Brian    Singer for Xenicus

• 6 months later...
  • Noob

mine would have to be damien rice,

the rawness and emotion in his voice is amazing, sends a shiver down my spine ever time i hear him... 

• 4 weeks later...

Dmitri Hvorostovsky

I know it may sound a bit off conversation musical context because he is a classical singer but the articulation and his technique are out of this world which I never heard in any other rock, pop, blues, or even country singer. Although there are some really great singer in all of the above mentioned genres.

Samuel Ramey is great too.

Edited by shelter

Quite a few of my faves have alredy been mentioned.

A few others of mine are;

Ian Gillan

David Coverdale

Marty Robbins

Annie Lennox

Edited by EJB

• 3 weeks later...

Hey did anyone mention Robert Plant? Because he was voted the Greatest Rock Singer of all time...

Go Figure.

Edited by EJB