Your Ad Could Be Here

Chat Chat Chat Chat Chat

john

• 1 month later...

I cannot believe the horror that just happened in Mandalay Bay, at a Jason Aldean concert in Las Vegas.

My thoughts go out to all the victims and their families, and every single person affected by this tragedy.

Edited by ImKeN
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • Noob

Hi guys,

I am currently studying MUSIC at The Brit School in London. As part of my course, for my Music Industry assignment I have to research roles within the industry. I have to conduct a field research for which I have created a questionnaire. If you could take 10 minutes of your time and answer those questions it would be so helpful. I will leave the questionnaire link down below! Thank you! 

https://goo.gl/forms/Drlvw5M5o1Scy98g2

• 4 weeks later...

Xmas: I'm done I think.

Unless I get a card from someone I forgot.

Everything even more simplified this year with minimal effort. Less food, less booze. All in attempt to claw back sensible proportion.

Some people I know have told tales of Xmas excess that I find shocking. Usually to do with booze. Like one workmate who within minutes of rising Xmas morning has a drink in each hand of 2 different sorts of booze, or another who downs a whole bottle of spirit in the one day.

If I'm honest, I drank most of a bottle of rum at Xmas once, but I was 18 with a stronger stomach & a stupid level of confidence.

I was lucky enough this year to live in the "zone of totality" for the eclipse. I set up multiple cameras to capture as much as I could. The batteries on the GoPro, which was directed towards the actual eclipse, died before the actual eclipse so I missed that. I had my camera in hand and did get a shot of the eclipse which is right in the middle of the video. I also had a camera up in the upstairs bathroom pointing down towards the pool just to video what we were doing. That camera is this video. Good times. Before the eclipse I heard there were people that traveled the world in search of eclipses because they thought it was worth it. I thought they were nuts. But, now I do plan to go to the next one since it will only be a few hours away. That's my backyard and my wife and I along with another couple we know through our kids and school. I like when the neighbor's chicken's start to crow. Adios.

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Nathaniel Selway said:

Hey all!

I'm Nate!

Kinda new here! So....what are your randomest techniques and visualizations for anything? Whether it be instrumental, lyrical, or vocal. I've got some wacky and weird ones, let's here yours!!

Hi Nate & welcome. I would like to answer your question, but I dont understand it

8 minutes ago, Rudi said:

Hi Nate & welcome. I would like to answer your question, but I dont understand it

For example, when I play bass, if I suddenly have to jump from the E string to the D or G string, I tend to think of trying to play the note with my elbow. This makes me move my elbow down automatically giving me more reach. When singing if i need to hit I high note I think of it being somewhere outside my body. Little habits and quirks you might have to help make things easier for you

22 hours ago, Nathaniel Selway said:

For example, when I play bass, if I suddenly have to jump from the E string to the D or G string, I tend to think of trying to play the note with my elbow. This makes me move my elbow down automatically giving me more reach. When singing if i need to hit I high note I think of it being somewhere outside my body. Little habits and quirks you might have to help make things easier for you

Never come across that kind of thinking Nat. Never experienced it either.

I sometimes think of a 'datum shift' (starting point for scale) when looking for different phrasing. Eg: If playing F mixolydian, I would play the major scale of A#. actual Datum Shift is something I did at work with Cartesian coodinates.

What you use sounds similar to memory techniques. Exaggerating an idea so that it becomes memorable.

6 hours ago, Rudi said:

Never come across that kind of thinking Nat. Never experienced it either.

I sometimes think of a 'datum shift' (starting point for scale) when looking for different phrasing. Eg: If playing F mixolydian, I would play the major scale of A#. actual Datum Shift is something I did at work with Cartesian coodinates.

What you use sounds similar to memory techniques. Exaggerating an idea so that it becomes memorable.

Interesting!! Vocalists use it more than any other musicians I'd say. What do you play? Also, could you explain how you compose in diffrtent modes? I understand that different modes have different "feels" etc. But I heard that when composing in a mode, you do not have to start with the first note in that mode's scale. So. How DO you compose in a mode, and how do you tell what mode a riff is in? Thanks so much =)

On 2/23/2018 at 12:16 AM, Nathaniel Selway said:

Interesting!! Vocalists use it more than any other musicians I'd say. What do you play? Also, could you explain how you compose in diffrtent modes? I understand that different modes have different "feels" etc. But I heard that when composing in a mode, you do not have to start with the first note in that mode's scale. So. How DO you compose in a mode, and how do you tell what mode a riff is in? Thanks so much =)

I'm a guitarist. I dont compose in modes generally, but I did one instrumental that way. It was in Dorian Mode. I made up special chords using only those modal notes.

True you can start with any note in the mode/scale. The first thing is to establish the key that the song/tune/riff is in. Then work out the notes that fit. The pattern those notes fit will be the scale/mode.

On 1/27/2014 at 4:12 PM, Rudi said:

I am the most serious musician here.

There is no room in my house for levity.

There was a conservatory attached once. It was a place to tend plants, mature homemade beer and share a joke with neighbours.

I had to be knocked down of course.

What kind of music genres do you make?

11 hours ago, Rudi said:

I'm a guitarist. I dont compose in modes generally, but I did one instrumental that way. It was in Dorian Mode. I made up special chords using only those modal notes.

True you can start with any note in the mode/scale. The first thing is to establish the key that the song/tune/riff is in. Then work out the notes that fit. The pattern those notes fit will be the scale/mode.

Oh I always start with keys. I've written a handful of songs and they all have somewhat intricate melody and bass riffs, but sometimes when writing new songs I struggle to recreate the kind of thing I've done before. Now, as each key has all the different modes being based on what degree of the key scale they are on, and each mode scale plays the full key scale just starting along different degrees, are the notes not all exactly the same in each mode, the order is just what changes? (Please excuse me if this is an ignorant statement, I really am just hear to ask stupid questions so I can learn) if a riff does not start on the first degree of the mode it is composed in, how do you know it is in said mode? 

Thanks heaps =)

12 hours ago, Nathaniel Selway said:

Oh I always start with keys. I've written a handful of songs and they all have somewhat intricate melody and bass riffs, but sometimes when writing new songs I struggle to recreate the kind of thing I've done before. Now, as each key has all the different modes being based on what degree of the key scale they are on, and each mode scale plays the full key scale just starting along different degrees, are the notes not all exactly the same in each mode, the order is just what changes? (Please excuse me if this is an ignorant statement, I really am just hear to ask stupid questions so I can learn) if a riff does not start on the first degree of the mode it is composed in, how do you know it is in said mode? 

Thanks heaps =)

The easy cop-out answer is 'you need a good ear'. But before you can trust your ears you need to start somewhere. You need to know the key 1st. If you can 'hear' the key, then that is ideal.

If not, the note (or chord) that ends a tune is usually what gives it away. So if that chord is 'C major' then the key is C major. If you can hear the root note of C but are unsure of whether its major or minor, then play them both to see what fits. One will sound right & the other will sound wrong.

Sticking with C major. If you play that scale (all the white notes on a piano starting and ending with C) it will sound familiar. If you then play the white notes starting & ending with A (so A is the root note) then the notes it will sound sad. That key is A minor. A is the the 5th note of the C major scale. So start and end using the 5th note.

Still sticking with all the white notes, begin with the 2nd note of that scale, D. Play from D and end with D. This is the Dorian mode in the key of D.

The 4th note is F. Start & end with F will give you the Mixolydian scale in F.

The point is you are using all the exact same notes each time, but beginning and ending in different places.

To extract these examples from any key use the scale numbers explained.

5th = (relative) Minor,

2nd = Dorian

4th = Mixolydian

There are other scales/modes of course, but the method is the same for finding them all. So to find 'E Dorian' you would work this backwards. E is the 2nd note of the major scale of D. So the notes from D major will be the correct notes to use for playing E Dorian.

For the riff you mentioned. You need to recognise the note pattern of the scale/mode in relation the the key. These note patterns are all unique. So it can be done, but you need to put in some scale/mode practice, that will also serve as ear training.

Hope this helps. :blink:

• 1 month later...