Your Ad Could Be Here

What are you listening to at the moment?

9 hours ago, MonoStone said:

Don't know how I found this on YouTube but I love it.. so I'm listening to it...

Same singer for you Dek

14 minutes ago, john said:

Same singer for you Dek

Yeah I found that one too... and I liked it a lot until....he started doing that weird thing with his tongue...that totally wrecked it. If he'd posted in the Critique section here first then I'd have told him so, and then it would have been a better song/performance  ;)  

@MonoStone Maybe, subjectively, though it provides an unusual, memorable hook for the song. Not what I would have done either, but I have no doubt it hooked people in as much as it drove others away.

Just now, john said:

@MonoStone Maybe, subjectively, though it provides an unusual, memorable hook for the song. Not what I would have done either, but I have no doubt it hooked people in as much as it drove others away.

Yep the same thought occurred to me too. It made it memorable but... also made it 'novelty'. I mean if he'd farted the chorus (which would no doubt still have been perfectly in tune) then that would be memorable and  'hooky'  too but... 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MonoStone said:

Yep the same thought occurred to me too. It made it memorable but... also made it 'novelty'. I mean if he'd farted the chorus (which would no doubt still have been perfectly in tune) then that would be memorable and  'hooky'  too but... 

Very true. Then again, he was dressed as an unusual space alien / futuristic space man. Lol Unusual / unexpected hooks are often novelty... that’s what makes it novel.

Think Kate Bush’s dancing. It was novel, was a visual hook, but credible to many people. Her general accrued credibility saw her using unusual hooks often and them not being in the novelty market... for most.

However for people who didn’t get Kate Bush, they were novelty, attention grabbing gimmicks.

Personally I think she is awesome, though I have cringed a little at times lol Well more shaken my head for a second and thought “That’s just Kate” and carried on, got passed whatever the thought was... yet, that WAS a large part of the hook. It was a reaction to the unusualness of the hook.

For me, the guy’s spaceman hook started more novelty, but after multiple listening it became normalised. No doubt for his fans it becomes “That’s just him”.

That is the nature and mechanism of such hooks. :) some get passed it and the hook works, they accept or embrace the novelty. For others it will forever be a laughable, attention grabbing, “look at me” gimmick.

28 minutes ago, john said:

Very true. Then again, he was dressed as an unusual space alien / futuristic space man. Lol Unusual / unexpected hooks are often novelty... that’s what makes it novel.

Think Kate Bush’s dancing. It was novel, was a visual hook, but credible to many people. Her general accrued credibility saw her using unusual hooks often and them not being in the novelty market... for most.

However for people who didn’t get Kate Bush, they were novelty, attention grabbing gimmicks.

Personally I think she is awesome, though I have cringed a little at times lol Well more shaken my head for a second and thought “That’s just Kate” and carried on, got passed whatever the thought was... yet, that WAS a large part of the hook. It was a reaction to the unusualness of the hook.

For me, the guy’s spaceman hook started more novelty, but after multiple listening it became normalised. No doubt for his fans it becomes “That’s just him”.

That is the nature and mechanism of such hooks. :) some get passed it and the hook works, they accept or embrace the novelty. For others it will forever be a laughable, attention grabbing, “look at me” gimmick.

I think Kate Bush is mostly amazing but... it's song-dependent.... for example -

If that one had been her first single then I think she'd have been rightly dismissed as a very annoying, cheesy, expressive dance student with terrible cheesy lyrics (and I LOVE old Hammer films). Without an AWESOME song to back it up, it's just irritating and crap, so my view is that 'novelty' element doesn't add...it only serves to get attention (not that she did it for that reason necessarily) whether the attention be for good or bad.

What I'm saying is... I 'put up with' her weird dancing and sometimes it was really effective, but when she sang the right songs, she was just as, if not more, impressive and addictive when just sat at the piano. The 'novelty' elements were less important, and at times a risk to credibility (and enjoy-ability). 

I do like 'theatrical' in music (probably why I USED to enjoy Metal performances in my teens)... I liked the morbid looking string section in 'that weird bloke's' song, and his space suit in the other song, and smiley-to-the-point-of-menacing demeanor generally (I think his style is visually more impressive than Kate's in fact) .... but.... doing that thing with his tongue could never be good, could never be 'cool', in my book, and since that's an audible rather than purely visual 'novelty' (although seeing it makes it worse) it spoiled the song...for ME.... so I would have pointed that out. 

But... we're all different. 

Opinions expressed are my own ;)

Edited by MonoStone

https://soundcloud.com/jingomusic/add-2

^^ Really great song.

https://soundcloud.com/atomic-shadows/roll-me-over-1

^^ Love this tune although I think the mix could be better. Some mean guitar licks.

I am also  listening to some Chris Daughtry as the next song I am posting is in a similiar vein to a couple of his. I won't, however, be squashing my mix into a 1-2dB dynamic range!

--TC

• 2 weeks later...

• Editors

Frank Ocean - Godspeed.

Recently discovered this beautiful song.

• Like 1

• Like 1