Your Ad Could Be Here

What are you listening to at the moment?

Amazing versatility in his playing and singing.  I love the living room feel.  I could handle being seranaded in my living room.

Edited by Pahchisme Plaid
  • Like 1

Impressive skills!  I love watching guitar players do their thing.  (I also love watching cellists, violinists/fiddlers. So fascinating!  I like watching vocalists sing, too.  Thanks for sharing, @Skin

Edited by Pahchisme Plaid

I've got DMA's in my car at the minute, they are an australian rock/indie band

and Pale Waves who are just amazing:

Jon Rose of Australia

This is Jon Playing violin outside Sydney Opera House

8 hours ago, Skin said:

I cant get over how small his wife is.

• Haha 1

• Editors

This entire gig is certainly my most favourite thing on the internet at the moment!

8 hours ago, Skin said:

This has to be one of the most beautiful songs you could play to the woman you love!

Hope You enjoy👍 oldie but so am I lol🙂

I know this song as 'Germany'. Because that's what the refrain sounds like to me. -Even after I found out it wasnt.

• Editors

Absolutely wonderful musician.

3 hours ago, fasstrack said:

He's a good man. Weird to see him in the Buena Vista Social Club, though. He didn't really fit in, though I'm sure he really loved and championed the music. I wonder what these friends of 50 and more years really thought about this gringo coming in and running things. Interloper? Maybe I'm totally wrong on that.

But I dig Ry Cooder, anyway. He's like a musician/curator---keeping important styles way under the radar in peoples' ears... 

I am a big fan of Ry. I love his work in his mature years much more than the classic stuff.

I think the BVSC Cubans were happy to find appreciation and a little recognition. I think they respected him. I have a couple of those artist's albums (other than the main BVSC one) too.

22 hours ago, fasstrack said:

Maybe Cooder's not as egregious, but it creeps me out just a bit nonetheless---and no slam on his talent or archival achievements. He's a way more talented performer and musician than ASB curator/bland singer-pianist Michael Feinstein. He's unlistenable to me...  

As a kid, JS Bach's music was almost impenetrable to me, but I felt I would understand it one day. The important word is 'almost'.

I could say the same about Cecil Taylor in my teens.

In my teens I also heard the Grateful Dead. I understood the music ok, but it was coming at me from an oblique angle, like rock from another reality. I didn't really like it.

Ry's music had a lot of elements that completely turned me off. I wont list them. That would be a waste of living.

I  strongly felt I needed to persevere with all of these types of music. With Ry, it took a very long time. It was a bit like when you see a pretty woman with a flaw in her appearance, and you have to persevere to see anything but the flaw.

Bach, the Dead & Ry (and others) are so dear they ingrained in me now. I wouldn't really be me without them.

An excellent album.

The Eleven (titled for its time signature/ It begins at 3.30)

I wore out two vinyl copies of this album in the 70s

I'm still totally in love with it

• 1 month later...

By the by, Ry Cooder did all the guitar on Little Feat's first album, after Lowell George sliced his hand on a model aeroplane.

I am a huge Feat fan and also a huge Rickie Lee Jones fan, which is who I've been listening to lately. She has a Youtube channel she's uploaded a lot of old stuff to.

• 1 month later...

My youngest arrived home and shared this song with me and I thought it was sooooo pretty I had to share it here.  

• Like 1