Your Ad Could Be Here

What do you love about Music?

Hey gang

I thought it might be interesting exploring our relationship with Music, why we love it so much, what it is that makes it so special to us?

So for example, how old were you when you got the bug? Was it something in particular tha opened you up to the world of music? What about what opened you up to the world of music creation? Why has it been so eduring? Did you ever dream big? Do you still?

Cheers

John

i was   16  years  old  and  one   day    i  had a  musical  thought    i  thought   it  must  be something  to  do  with   being  a  lefthanded  person   the   next  day    i  went   to  the  local  musicshop  and   asked  about  buying  a  electricguitar  the  sales  person   asked  me   did i play   any   musical   instruments     i  said   no      they  were   flabergasted  that  some  one  would   want  to  buy  a  electric guitar  as  a  first  instrument  and   said  that starting   music   at   16   was  quite    late  in   life     i  did  buy   a  guitar     it  took  a  few  weeks  to arrive   it  is  a   shergold custom  masquerader

42  years  later   its   still  the  guitar  i  play 

quote        if  some   one  ask's   me    do  i  own   a   guitar  i  say   yes   but  when  i  pick   it  up   its   part  of   me

and   i  must  admit   i  would  like  to hear  the  story of  how  songstuff   started having   quote's

to  me   quote's   are  like   writing  lyrics .    i  have  always  dreamed   big'  time  for  another   quote

I   want   to  work  with    people  with    different    tallents  but   with   the  same  ambition☺️

2 hours ago, Patchez said:

I assumed everyone else had all that music playing in their heads

I did too... sometimes I forget and get the weirdest looks. Luckily, I'll ask my sister just to be sure "do you still hear the music?" and she'll say yes. That's how I know it'll all be ok.

@Mahesh, @Peggy, @geographyhorse, @Steve, @Steve Mueske @Cody @Michan @Nightwolf @thelevellers @tomcollins @Rebekah @Danidog  @Richard Watashi @SYMO @fasstrack @ImKeN

To name just a few...

It would be good to get a broad collection of answers to thses questions. Please "invite" other members by including their member name as above in your replies and by pointing members and non-members to this topic with a simple link. Much appreciated!

I've always had trouble connecting and  communicating with people. I soon found that music seemed to break down the communication barrier. At least, my peers feigned understanding for the finite amount of time a song lasts for. And when another person's song really clicks with me, I feel like I'm really getting a peek into the depths of that person's core. I've never been religious or spiritual and music is the closest to that feeling of the sublime I can get to. 

Oh what a great thread!

I got an earache at a very young age...5...6ish from listening to too much piano too hard...head pressed against the backside...

Have tried many times to put music away...its not good for me...I get too pissed off hahah...

17 hours ago, James Anderson said:

i was   16  years  old  and  one   day    i  had a  musical  thought    i  thought   it  must  be something  to  do  with   being  a  lefthanded  person   the   next  day    i  went   to  the  local  musicshop  and   asked  about  buying  a  electricguitar  the  sales  person   asked  me   did i play   any   musical   instruments     i  said   no      they  were   flabergasted  that  some  one  would   want  to  buy  a  electric guitar  as  a  first  instrument  and   said  that starting   music   at   16   was  quite    late  in   life     i  did  buy   a  guitar     it  took  a  few  weeks  to arrive   it  is  a   shergold custom  masquerader

42  years  later   its   still  the  guitar  i  play 

quote        if  some   one  ask's   me    do  i  own   a   guitar  i  say   yes   but  when  i  pick   it  up   its   part  of   me

and   i  must  admit   i  would  like  to hear  the  story of  how  songstuff   started having   quote's

to  me   quote's   are  like   writing  lyrics .    i  have  always  dreamed   big'  time  for  another   quote

I   want   to  work  with    people  with    different    tallents  but   with   the  same  ambition☺️

I wish I would of been in that "music" store hahah......good stuff...I've lost most of my early instruments...I could cry about it, or just get new ones ;)

13 hours ago, Lisa Gates said:

I did too... sometimes I forget and get the weirdest looks. Luckily, I'll ask my sister just to be sure "do you still hear the music?" and she'll say yes. That's how I know it'll all be ok.

Great sis :)

patchez.....I guess were all f*cked haha

19 hours ago, john said:

Hey gang

I thought it might be interesting exploring our relationship with Music, why we love it so much, what it is that makes it so special to us?

So for example, how old were you when you got the bug? Was it something in particular tha opened you up to the world of music? What about what opened you up to the world of music creation? Why has it been so eduring? Did you ever dream big? Do you still?

Cheers

John

I dont really dream anymore....once upon a time,yes.... but stranger things have happened 

3 hours ago, geographyhorse said:

I've always had trouble connecting and  communicating with people. I soon found that music seemed to break down the communication barrier. At least, my peers feigned understanding for the finite amount of time a song lasts for. And when another person's song really clicks with me, I feel like I'm really getting a peek into the depths of that person's core. I've never been religious or spiritual and music is the closest to that feeling of the sublime I can get to. 

People uncomfortably talk over your songs?

Some dreams come and go. Some never leave your soul.

Standing in front of a crowd and doing what you love...feeds the soul a feeling that never leaves you.

These days would live to be avid but in the backround. 

3 hours ago, Cody said:

People uncomfortably talk over your songs?

No.  Lol!!! 😂😂😂 it's just that music was one of the few things that ever elicited positive acknowledgment from others. 

53 minutes ago, geographyhorse said:

No.  Lol!!! 😂😂😂 it's just that music was one of the few things that ever elicited positive acknowledgment from others. 

Better than getting hit with something I suppose ;) rock on!

30 minutes ago, Cody said:

Better than getting hit with something I suppose ;) rock on!

ooohhh... I played that bar..rough place!

kind sir/madam....you're a blessing to me :) 

18 hours ago, tomcollins said:

ooohhh... I played that bar..rough place!

been rougher and tougher ......heh life moves on

the thing i love about music is that it is reflecting myself like a mirror, just without anybody looking at my ugly face

I was always attracted to music – and to keyboard instruments, because "everything was right there in front of you."  My favorite locally-produced (black-and-white ...) television program featured regular demonstrations by the owner of a local Hammond Organ studio, and one day a Hammond M-3 wound up in our living room.  (At the time, I felt ill-used ... my cousin's family had (of course) bought a model with "all the gadgets."  Little did I know at the time that my instrument was the little-brother of the fabled B-3, which even to this day is providing "that sound" to an earnest local band.)

I guess that I was always a "nerd."  I was fascinated with computers – with the thought of making an inanimate piece of machinery, then an overglorified piece of sand, do something.  (And, I still am!)  But I was also attracted to music, because it was something "obviously bigger than you are," but that you could maybe master.

My hand/eye coordination skills never made me that master ... until my good friend the digital computer caught up with all of us.  Suddenly, I could create the music that I heard in my ears.  Then the computer kept racing right along, until suddenly my computer could equal and exceed the power of the Fairlights and the Synclaviers that I had read about in well-thumbed issues of [Contemporary] Keyboard Magazine.

I started with a cheap, portable battery operated record player with my first real-job paycheck at fourteen (ticket tearer at a local movie theatre). Never saw a real guitar in person until I turned 18 and married into a family bluegrass band. Music and songwriting has always been there, even before the record player, it's a part of me I can't put down. 

Deleted

Archived