Your Ad Could Be Here

A Contrast Of Emotion

michael-liao-Iw37CjACrOY-unsplash.jpg

Hi Gang

An interesting writing challlenge, I think.

Your challenge is to write two songs about the same base subject.

• Song 1 should focus on emotion, emotional connection, emotional language, the experience of going through events, it's impact at a personal level. Make it 1st person if you can.
  • Song 2 should avoid personal language. Instead focus on the cold reporting of facts. Write it from 3rd person perspective.

Try to be as fully commited to the concept of each song, making it as pure an expression in that form as you can.

Otherwise, the topic and song form is up to you!

@geographyhorse

@Lisa Gates@Timbre@Pahchisme Plaid@Cody@John W Selleck

@Peggy@Mahesh@ALOPRODUCTIONZ@Anaezia@DonnaMarilyn@McnaughtonPark@snabbu@Patty Lakamp@symphonious7

@James Anderson @SongWriterJoe @Michan @Tom Collins

@Kel@Capo3tanya

I like this idea quite a bit actually!! I do some freelance writing here and there at times.  So I can usually step away and just report the facts, most people that read any of that would of never guessed it was mine, hahahah, but there's also always an editor or something that fixes all my nonsensical grammar and lack thereof, 

but almost never do it musically, so this will be a challenge. 

I liked the idea because it explores extremity, the full range between two opposites. It should be interesting to see what everyone comes up with :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 4:03 PM, john said:

I liked the idea because it explores extremity, the full range between two opposites. It should be interesting to see what everyone comes up with :)

Finding this harder than I thought I would.  Usually pride myself on just being able to write whatever, has made me realize almost 99% of what I do write is from a fully emotional 1st person perspective hahaha.  I needed a bit of a break after this summer, will probably get back into the swing of writing/playing in the next week or so. 

Finally, albeit briefly back to actual real and stupid, but somewhat actually paying work, but still kicking around a few different ideas on this.  If nothing else already made me aware of a leaning I already do have of not just stating the facts only the facts :D  

1 hour ago, Cody said:

Finding this harder than I thought I would.  Usually pride myself on just being able to write whatever, has made me realize almost 99% of what I do write is from a fully emotional 1st person perspective hahaha.  I needed a bit of a break after this summer, will probably get back into the swing of writing/playing in the next week or so. 

Finally, albeit briefly back to actual real and stupid, but somewhat actually paying work, but still kicking around a few different ideas on this.  If nothing else already made me aware of a leaning I already do have of not just stating the facts only the facts :D  

One of the key aims of these challenges is to help writers learn their own limits and push beyond them, encountering things they hadn’t expected, helping each other.  At least that is the plan! Yay!

7 hours ago, john said:

One of the key aims of these challenges is to help writers learn their own limits and push beyond them, encountering things they hadn’t expected, helping each other.  At least that is the plan! Yay!

Just never even dawned on me until I tried.  Original plan was to just take a tune and re-write it from a 3rd person perspective and ended up basically just giving the emotions that a third party might of felt from such "story"  I even took a few random articles from scientific weekly thinking that would surely be something easy to do, but kept getting sidetracked by the awe I felt in how close to quantum computing and the possibilities of teleportation from it we are,  and it spun into a whole different thing hahaha.  So if nothing else it turned up another lyric I quite liked. 😂 

I've done plenty of writing that way, just usually in a short-story or  news article format, found it odd how it didn't just translate over all easy peasy nice and easy to writing a song.  I mean I'm sure I could crap something out real quick, but nothing I'd be even remotely happy with, so still thinking on it.  Music is usually my escape from thought, so if nothing else just trying something I couldn't immediately do made me look at things from a different angle at least.  Refreshingly frustrating. 

On 11/5/2020 at 8:37 PM, john said:

michael-liao-Iw37CjACrOY-unsplash.jpg

Hi Gang

An interesting writing challlenge, I think.

Your challenge is to write two songs about the same base subject.

• Song 1 should focus on emotion, emotional connection, emotional language, the experience of going through events, it's impact at a personal level. Make it 1st person if you can.
  • Song 2 should avoid personal language. Instead focus on the cold reporting of facts. Write it from 3rd person perspective.

Try to be as fully commited to the concept of each song, making it as pure an expression in that form as you can.

Otherwise, the topic and song form is up to you!

@geographyhorse

@Lisa Gates@Timbre@Pahchisme Plaid@Cody@John W Selleck

@Peggy@Mahesh@ALOPRODUCTIONZ@Anaezia@DonnaMarilyn@McnaughtonPark@snabbu@Patty Lakamp@symphonious7

@James Anderson @SongWriterJoe @Michan @Tom Collins

@Kel@Capo3tanya

Hi John

Whens this got to be done by and is it just posted to the normal forum? and do you post as you write or both together.

Cheers

Gary

3 minutes ago, snabbu said:

Hi John

Whens this got to be done by and is it just posted to the normal forum? and do you post as you write or both together.

Cheers

Gary

Just as you get to it Gary, sooner better than later. I would suggest posting to the normal critique board, but link to the challenge topic in your critique topic so they can see the brief, and maybe reply to this topic with a link to your challenge topics.

Just post each as done, they don’t need to be posted together.

I suggest posting challenge specific discussion or post challenge analysis here as replies to the challenge.

7 hours ago, john said:

Just as you get to it Gary, sooner better than later. I would suggest posting to the normal critique board, but link to the challenge topic in your critique topic so they can see the brief, and maybe reply to this topic with a link to your challenge topics.

Just post each as done, they don’t need to be posted together.

I suggest posting challenge specific discussion or post challenge analysis here as replies to the challenge.

Ok I wrote the first one and tracked the vocals today at 80 bpm now it becomes apparent that it needs to be 70 bpm.  Ive done the first person heart wrench first. Then I will do the clinical she was a bitch anyway just you didn’t know it.  3rd person. Same story same location different camera. 

Its a bogoff but one get one free 

love it 

• 1 month later...

Here's my attempt :)

12 hours ago, danilo said:

Here's my attempt :)

Thanks Danilo!

• john unpinned this topic

Archived