Your Ad Could Be Here

Two Part Writing Challenge: Part One

E0DEB08E-4170-45FD-81AA-C57D4F4B344E.webp

Hi

Ok a two part writing challenge…. And this is part 1.

Write a prose story of no more than 100 words. Have character, a primary emotion, a secondary emotion an event and a plot/character journey and a goal. Optionally include a message.

Post your stories below!

You find out part 2 in a week!

Cheers

John

Part 2 now posted below!  

@Tonedead

@geographyhorse 

@Lisa Gates@Timbre @Cody@John W Selleck

@Peggy@Mahesh@ALOPRODUCTIONZ@Anaezia@DonnaMarilyn@McnaughtonPark@snabbu@Patty Lakamp@symphonious7

@James Anderson @SongWriterJoe @Tom Collins

@Kel

• 4 weeks later...

Tonedead was feeling something that could be described as happy,but also relief. He finally figured out exactly how he would use vocals in his music. He would pick out key phrases from his writing. Some statement or question that held special meaning. Those would be repeated,like a chant.As if a call to prayer or invocation of a spell 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Tonedead said:

Tonedead was feeling something that could be described as happy,but also relief. He finally figured out exactly how he would use vocals in his music. He would pick out key phrases from his writing. Some statement or question that held special meaning. Those would be repeated,like a chant.As if a call to prayer or invocation of a spell 

Great to see you are taking up the challenge!

I was kind of stumped so I just wrote what I knew 

• Like 1

I was holding off hoping more people might have decided to join in… because knowing part two of the challenge might well effect how they complete part one of the challenge… so, ruining the challenge!

Part 2

Now write a song that tells the story you laid out in part 1, with one restriction:

You can’t use any of the nouns, adjectives, verbs or adverbs you used in part 1 story telling. Ie, you can use words like ‘the’, ‘and’ ‘a’ etc, but that is it. You can’t use names, feelings, activities etc. used in your story. You are free to use any words not within your story.

Instead you will need to find other ways to refer to characters, topics, feelings etc. Try using allegories, metaphors, analogies and similes.

Have fun and good luck!

• Like 1

Does it absolutely require lyrics,or can the title do some of the work?

It is your song, your challenge to yourself. The idea is to encourage creativity, thinking outside the box, away from the immediate and obvious. :) Have fun and try to stretch yourself :)

• 3 months later...

if still ok for the challenge John..here's mine..

part one.

'Choking fumes, blackness and lifeless clouds smothering me like needles in a blanket,

And not just me, look how many of us.

'they will say, 'good old Charles, doing his bit for the War effort'

i'm here, they'r not..thank  God l say

But whose to feed my kids back home.

Not them !!!

'l hate this war, Why did it happen

' for Gods sake it 1914'.

'wonder what they are doing back home' 

'Not lying in the stink hole of a trench, that's for sure'

'Hannah, l miss you so much'

Memories of  just one  lone Soldier in 1914.

• Like 1
On 1/26/2023 at 5:45 PM, Jac said:

if still ok for the challenge John..here's mine..

part one.

'Choking fumes, blackness and lifeless clouds smothering me like needles in a blanket,

And not just me, look how many of us.

'they will say, 'good old Charles, doing his bit for the War effort'

i'm here, they'r not..thank  God l say

But whose to feed my kids back home.

Not them !!!

'l hate this war, Why did it happen

' for Gods sake it 1914'.

'wonder what they are doing back home' 

'Not lying in the stink hole of a trench, that's for sure'

'Hannah, l miss you so much'

Memories of  just one  lone Soldier in 1914.

John, can l ask, is the song im trying to put together and explore , for me to post on this page? 

8 hours ago, Jac said:

John, can l ask, is the song im trying to put together and explore , for me to post on this page? 

It is up to you. Ideally, if you would like to close the loop and go through your song discussing choices you make as a writer and exploring options you might have. That can be before or after you record or even release it. This is very much a personal challenge, so it is up to you how you would like to use the experience to learn and grow. If your preference is to discuss intention, to explore options, without posting the work it is a bit harder, but it may still be of use to you. This is not a contest with a prize. It is intended as an exercise as part of writer development. Indies don’t often get the same options and opportunities as signed writers. They don’t have anyone else involved in helping them develop. While the process of writer or artist development might not be the same, I hope it goes some way to help with writer development and where appropriate artist development.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, john said:

It is up to you. Ideally, if you would like to close the loop and go through your song discussing choices you make as a writer and exploring options you might have. That can be before or after you record or even release it. This is very much a personal challenge, so it is up to you how you would like to use the experience to learn and grow. If your preference is to discuss intention, to explore options, without posting the work it is a bit harder, but it may still be of use to you. This is not a contest with a prize. It is intended as an exercise as part of writer development. Indies don’t often get the same options and opportunities as signed writers. They don’t have anyone else involved in helping them develop. While the process of writer or artist development might not be the same, I hope it goes some way to help with writer development and where appropriate artist development.

yes l like this challenge, l challengue myself a lot on writing  daily, used as a development for a personal exploring of ideas and would like to post it somewhere as l go to get others to join in.im  just not sure which page to post on as im still new on here and still looking around a lot. would it be on the lyric critigue  page?